Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 08:06 AM

565 posts, read 722,634 times

Advertisements

Oh, just saw your other updates. None of my friends cared about cars---we were more about outdoorsy stuff and travel. And drinking, ha. But I'm sure you could find your group. Maybe the post-SMU/highland park crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 10:03 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
Oh, just saw your other updates. None of my friends cared about cars---we were more about outdoorsy stuff and travel. And drinking, ha. But I'm sure you could find your group. Maybe the post-SMU/highland park crowd.

Nah. the 25-29 SMU/highland park crowd seeks out their own or is looking to trade up to Manhattan level finance jet setting. A Toronto import won't impress unless the OP plays for the Stars.

Why not Miami or LA? Those cities are far more leisure class than Dallas. It sounds like you want to stand out wherever you go. If it's between Austin and Dallas, that will be more possible in Austin.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:14 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
LA
I'd agree with this, and the real estate game requires more money but is 'easier'. Southern California is where you should be. California also has a much stronger car culture than Dallas.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:49 AM

565 posts, read 722,634 times
What do you mean by seeking out their own? I know several people who grew up in the park cities or went to SMU. None of them have crazy expensive cars, btw. And I don't think they'd hold anything against a person from Toronto--why would they? Odd comment.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:50 AM

9 posts, read 10,361 times
I live in Dallas, but I'd probably say Austin would be a better fit if you have a solid job. Jobs are more plentiful in dallas, and I noticed that plenty of people stay in Austin despite better opportunity for career advancement in Dallas. I was single in Austin for grad school, and I felt many of the guys that weren't in school were either players or not career-driven. For a single guy your age there are tons of women, outdoor activities, the lakes (Austin and Travis), etc. The traffic is pretty bad there and it is hot and humid. Still it has a casual and laid-back vibe.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:18 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
This thread sounds like a season of "The Bachelor".

Old 03-17-2017, 03:15 PM

272 posts, read 246,645 times
Okay sweet. Again. Thank you so much! I wish I had responses for all of you but it's a lot to take in so bare with me!

Quick question...How is the safety in Dallas?

Being a Canadian and from Toronto, no offence, maybe it's just the way news portrays things here up North but it always seems like there is crime going on in the US. Toronto is a pretty safe city... then again maybe it's just the way I've lived my life that makes me think Toronto is safe because I don't put myself in bad situations. We do have our crime don't get me wrong but is Dallas a safe city? Specifically Uptown?

No harm intended.. I just have this assumption that it's ridiculously easy to get mugged or something lol..
Maybe it's just a fear of mine knowing that I won't have family there incase bad **** happens.
Just want to put myself in the best scenario possible...if you catch my drift!

Thanks everyone!

Old 03-17-2017, 03:53 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuggz View Post
Okay sweet. Again. Thank you so much! I wish I had responses for all of you but it's a lot to take in so bare with me!

Quick question...How is the safety in Dallas?

Being a Canadian and from Toronto, no offence, maybe it's just the way news portrays things here up North but it always seems like there is crime going on in the US. Toronto is a pretty safe city... then again maybe it's just the way I've lived my life that makes me think Toronto is safe because I don't put myself in bad situations. We do have our crime don't get me wrong but is Dallas a safe city? Specifically Uptown?

No harm intended.. I just have this assumption that it's ridiculously easy to get mugged or something lol..
Maybe it's just a fear of mine knowing that I won't have family there incase bad **** happens.
Just want to put myself in the best scenario possible...if you catch my drift!

Thanks everyone!
Here's my take on crime in Dallas. If you can avoid the following 3 things, your chances of being a crime victim are extremely low-->

1. Don't buy/ sell / do drugs.
2. Pick your partners carefully.
**Domestic violence and drug related violence probably combine for 80%++ of violent crime in Dallas.

3. Follow take/ lock / hide principles. Don't leave $500 in cash and a $450 pair of sunnies in your car, not even for 2 minutes. Never leave your car running or unlocked. Always lock your home/ apartment and use an alarm if you have a single family home. Don't leave your garage door open. Basic property crime prevention.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:54 PM

272 posts, read 246,645 times
okay sweet thanks guys!

LOL on the bachelor comment... the internet always give me a laugh.
No I'm not trying to stand out. I'm just living my life, if you perceive as me trying to stand out because of what I drive.
A individual with intellect and depth would attempt to understand the relativity in it all. I drive a Ferrari because my passion is Motorsports since I was a child. Back to the real discussion now.

Im only moving to a state with great tax laws. Not very fond of Florida. Meh.... I'd like my roof to keep in tact.

One last question.. whats the difference between:
Uptown - Victoria Park - Oak Lawn

Old 03-17-2017, 07:07 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
I think you mean Victory Park?

Uptown is lots of professionals. Next door Oak Lawn has professionals and is the traditional "gayborhood" near Cedar Springs and Oak Lawn Ave. but also includes older and more economically transitional neighborhoods. Victory Park is a high-rise mixed-use development near the American Airlines Center that was kind of a ghost town in terms of retail for years but is now starting to come alive and will be even more so once the movie multiplex and a nearby, upscale Tom Thumb grocery store opening soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas