Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 01:19 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there are any dog parks in Dallas that do NOT allow pit bulls? Is there anywhere one can safely take their dog to play off leash without the threat and worry of bloodsport breed dogs? I thought I had found one but soon found out it closed years ago. There has a to be a strong market for this as I know many people that can no longer use the dog parks because they are overrun with pits.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:44 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
Does anyone know if there are any dog parks in Dallas that do NOT allow pit bulls? Is there anywhere one can safely take their dog to play off leash without the threat and worry of bloodsport breed dogs? I thought I had found one but soon found out it closed years ago. There has a to be a strong market for this as I know many people that can no longer use the dog parks because they are overrun with pits.
We visit the dog park on Keller Springs all the time.
Your fear of APBTs just absurdly off base. Virtually every time we take our female Lab to that park we see APBTs and mixes - you'll be shocked to learn after years of going and lots friends doing the same we've not seen or heard of any issues with pits.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:38 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
Most of the local dog parks are municipal parks. It is illegal for cities in Texas to have a breed ban, so it's unlikely you will find a municipally owned dog park that would meet your criteria.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Most of the local dog parks are municipal parks. It is illegal for cities in Texas to have a breed ban, so it's unlikely you will find a municipally owned dog park that would meet your criteria.
UGH! Seriously? That's crazy! No wonder this town is infested with these things. Thank goodness they are not allowed in most apartments! As it is, I can't even walk my dog in my current neighborhood without a pepper spray and a switchblade. Maybe that would be a business idea, to buy a plot of land for a dog park, charge a membership fee, and ban bloodsport breeds! There are many people that would LOVE this idea!

Old 03-21-2017, 03:12 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Enforcement of the rules at dog parks comes down to the owners there. At Bonnie Wenk park in McKinney, you are not allowed to bring in aggressive dogs. If you do, you will be asked to leave, of course, it's other owners who have to do the asking. However, **** off enough people with your dogs, and they will all tell you to get out.

We had an issue several years ago at Bonnie. This guy was bringing two pit bulls to the park in the middle of the day. I started going during that time with my Golden for awhile because my work schedule had changed a bit. During that time of day, there were only stay at home moms with their kids and their dogs there, and none of them wanted to confront this punk. First time I went, his dogs got into a fight with another dog. I didn't say anything or get involved that time. The kid did nothing, and was clearly amused that his dogs were bullying the other dogs there. Second time it happened I told him to get the hell out of the park and never come back. He got up in my face and tried to intimidate me, but my dog isn't a small golden, he's 100 lbs, and he growled and barked about 2 feet from the guy's crotch while his dogs were running around causing trouble elsewhere. I told him that if I saw him there again with his dogs, I'd be calling the cops on him every single time, and everyone else in the park would be happy to put their two cents in as to whether his dogs were violating the rules of the park or not.

He left and I never saw him there again.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
While that's true about outright banning a breed, cities can and do have laws requiring aggressive breeds to be restrained and for owners to carry insurance on them. That tends to cut down on the number of people willing to have those breeds.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Enforcement of the rules at dog parks comes down to the owners there. At Bonnie Wenk park in McKinney, you are not allowed to bring in aggressive dogs. If you do, you will be asked to leave, of course, it's other owners who have to do the asking. However, **** off enough people with your dogs, and they will all tell you to get out.

We had an issue several years ago at Bonnie. This guy was bringing two pit bulls to the park in the middle of the day. I started going during that time with my Golden for awhile because my work schedule had changed a bit. During that time of day, there were only stay at home moms with their kids and their dogs there, and none of them wanted to confront this punk. First time I went, his dogs got into a fight with another dog. I didn't say anything or get involved that time. The kid did nothing, and was clearly amused that his dogs were bullying the other dogs there. Second time it happened I told him to get the hell out of the park and never come back. He got up in my face and tried to intimidate me, but my dog isn't a small golden, he's 100 lbs, and he growled and barked about 2 feet from the guy's crotch while his dogs were running around causing trouble elsewhere. I told him that if I saw him there again with his dogs, I'd be calling the cops on him every single time, and everyone else in the park would be happy to put their two cents in as to whether his dogs were violating the rules of the park or not.

He left and I never saw him there again.
The problem with pit bulls is they often aren't aggressive until they are! Many are model pets and well-socialized until one day they "go pit". A friend's little dog was almost killed by his pit bull "frenemy" with which he played off leash, several times a week, for well over a year. Another friend's medium sized dog was killed by a pit bull at doggy daycare - both dogs had been going for a long time and played in the same group room every day. My own large breed dog was attacked as a young dog by a pit bull she was greeting through fence slats before being brought into the yard (because her owner assured me she "loved to play with other dogs). Her tail was wagging happily as she tore two holes in my dog's muzzle. Many children have been killed by their family "pet" (as if the deadliest dog in the world is a "pet") pit bulls, raised from puppies, and having never so much as given a side-eye before. Regardless of if it's with people or other dogs, you simply can never trust a pit bull and its previous behavior is no indication of future safety. They can, and do, turn in an instant with no warning. By the time they are "aggressive", it is often too late. They absolutely should not be allowed in off-leash dog parks; no serious pit bull fancier, breeder, or rescue condones pit bulls in dog parks.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:38 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,396 times
Those dogs are like playing with a loaded gun.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
The problem with pit bulls is they often aren't aggressive until they are! Many are model pets and well-socialized until one day they "go pit". A friend's little dog was almost killed by his pit bull "frenemy" with which he played off leash, several times a week, for well over a year. Another friend's medium sized dog was killed by a pit bull at doggy daycare - both dogs had been going for a long time and played in the same group room every day. My own large breed dog was attacked as a young dog by a pit bull she was greeting through fence slats before being brought into the yard (because her owner assured me she "loved to play with other dogs). Her tail was wagging happily as she tore two holes in my dog's muzzle. Many children have been killed by their family "pet" (as if the deadliest dog in the world is a "pet") pit bulls, raised from puppies, and having never so much as given a side-eye before. Regardless of if it's with people or other dogs, you simply can never trust a pit bull and its previous behavior is no indication of future safety. They can, and do, turn in an instant with no warning. By the time they are "aggressive", it is often too late. They absolutely should not be allowed in off-leash dog parks; no serious pit bull fancier, breeder, or rescue condones pit bulls in dog parks.
Agreed, as a breed, they have a tendency to just snap. It's enough of a problem that in many suburbs, the HOA prevents owners from even having those breeds or they will be fined if caught.

Fort Worth HOA Bans Certain Breeds of Dogs | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Also, a lot of homeowner's insurance policies will not insure you if you have a pit bull or other aggressive breed.

I find most people owning pit bulls are typically low class people. I haven't seen one in any of the neighborhoods I've lived in for the past 10 years. If you've got too many where you live, it might be time to move elsewhere if possible.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:52 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,792 times
I've been to White Rock, Main Street and Klyde Warren dog parks and have never witnessed aggressive pit bulls off leash. I have noticed ill behaved dogs at all of them but it's more about improper supervision/training than outright aggression. In my experience, the people who own and encourage aggressive breeds tend to shy away from the dog park scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas