Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 01:08 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagodog View Post
Thank you EDS! We were really hoping to move last year per the original Toyota plan as that would've had our kids starting their respective schools at 9th grade and 6th grade but out of our control.

We've already explained to them that it appears that TX standards appear to be higher than CA so they're gearing up for that.

We know all about the advantages of being closer to school or in our case, the disadvantages of not being close to the school. Our oldest currently has bus service which was supposed to help but then she decided to do sports ALL 3 SEASONS! My poor wife has, unfortunately, taken the brunt of it all and has often found herself stuck on the 405 (it's here in CA so still *the* 405 ) during rush hour which on the 405 often lasts until 8:30pm.

We were actually considering SMS and POP but decided on SMS because of its proximity to Ursuline and as my younger one said when discussing the 2 schools, SMS just "'spoke' to me more."

I've spent good a many hours trapped on The 405. I usually add a couple of colorful words between The and 405 as well.

My kids went to POP and loved it. Several good friend's kids went to SMS and loved it. I'd call that a push. And your proximity to UA argument carries the day regardless.

Do be careful though. Although traffic here is nothing like LA it is always a factor.

You guys will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 02:38 PM

20 posts, read 20,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Although traffic here is nothing like LA it is always a factor.

I realize traffic in Dallas is getting worse. While it would've been nice to move somewhere that doesn't have traffic, we'll just deal with it. What we now have here, though, is just insane. What are rush hours there? 7-9am and 4:30-6:30pm Monday through Friday? Here it's 7-9:30am and probably 3:30-8pm Monday through Friday. It's also not unusual for me to hit traffic (not gridlock - more like pockets going 25mph) coming home from the gym at 9pm!! And don't get me started on things like Saturday night when we were coming home from dinner around 8:30pm cruising along the freeway at 20mph. No accidents. Just that many cars. Ok. Rant over.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:41 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
I realize traffic in Dallas is getting worse. While it would've been nice to move somewhere that doesn't have traffic, we'll just deal with it. What we now have here, though, is just insane. What are rush hours there? 7-9am and 4:30-6:30pm Monday through Friday? Here it's 7-9:30am and probably 3:30-8pm Monday through Friday. It's also not unusual for me to hit traffic (not gridlock - more like pockets going 25mph) coming home from the gym at 9pm!! And don't get me started on things like Saturday night when we were coming home from dinner around 8:30pm cruising along the freeway at 20mph. No accidents. Just that many cars. Ok. Rant over.
We're not quite there yet, but each Californian who moves here gets us one car closer to our goal of total SoCal-style gridlock.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:45 PM

8,134 posts, read 3,671,773 times
Quote:

Depends, generally we are way past "getting worse". Dallas North tollway that you might be using a lot is packed for much longer hours. I'd say 6:30 to 10 am give or take and then 3:30 (maybe 4) -7:30pm. Additionally due to the construction in Plano (with no end in sight), jams happen on the weekend as well, and late at night due to closures.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
We're not quite there yet, but each Californian who moves here gets us one car closer to our goal of total SoCal-style gridlock.
Yes, we realize we're adding to the mess. Same could be said about the TX transplants to CA. We're just trying to embrace the positives no matter how incremental they may be.

At least I won't have to root for a different NFL team as I've been a Cowboys fan since coming to the US many moons ago!

Old 03-27-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Depends, generally we are way past "getting worse". Dallas North tollway that you might be using a lot is packed for much longer hours. I'd say 6:30 to 10 am give or take and then 3:30 (maybe 4) -7:30pm. Additionally due to the construction in Plano (with no end in sight), jams happen on the weekend as well, and late at night due to closures.
I think I'm going to remain blissfully ignorant until I move and deal with things then. Seriously, though, I can accept traffic outside of rush hour if I can see the cause and there are options. The traffic here now is truly mind boggling.

I intend on continuing my love affair with Waze.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Come on. The OP lives in LA. Trying to compare North Dallas/Plano traffic to LA is absurd.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:40 PM

8,134 posts, read 3,671,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Come on. The OP lives in LA. Trying to compare North Dallas/Plano traffic to LA is absurd.
Well, I was not comparing. And it is not absurd, depends on what stretches of highways are being compared. Open google maps right now (6:40 there), not that much of the black-red. That's the color of DNT in Addison and Plano nowadays during rush hours. AT least 405 is free.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:55 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,172,957 times
Well, at least here we don't have to drive on highway for mall, gym, schools, grocery, dinning, hospital, theater etc. Everything I need is minutes away from my house, including my work. Unless I need to go to another town for some reason, I don't even need highways.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Well, I was not comparing. And it is not absurd, depends on what stretches of highways are being compared. Open google maps right now (6:40 there), not that much of the black-red. That's the color of DNT in Addison and Plano nowadays during rush hours. AT least 405 is free.
No one is buying. The 405 averages not quite 2x the cars per day and the pinch points you are complaining about on The DNT are construction zones.

And the 405 is not free.

BTW I just looked at The 405, 9:04 PM here, it's 80% red from Inglewood through Northridge.

Last edited by EDS_; 03-27-2017 at 08:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: