Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 04:29 PM

20 posts, read 20,707 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! First time posting but I've lurked for a while and wanted to start by thanking everyone for sharing their experiences and knowledge of the area.

We will be moving from Los Angeles to the Dallas area as part of the Toyota relo and are hoping for some suggestions given our needs.

Wife will be at Toyota HQ and our kids will be attending St. Monica's and Ursuline. I'll be starting my job search soon. If all goes well, I'll be in the legal field so guessing will be in the downtown Dallas area (please correct me if law firms are more spread out there than here in LA).

We've visited Dallas a few times now and find ourselves drawn to the Prestonwood area but keep flip-flopping when thinking about Plano's bang for the buck. Part of it is, admittedly, superficial in that we'd prefer to say we live in Dallas as opposed to Plano, but we'd also prefer to be that much closer to the city even though there may not be much of a difference distance-wise. For us, though, there's also something else that we can't quite place ... sort of like how we feel when we visit family in Irvine, CA which, for anyone that is not familiar with Irvine, is very much the Plano of southern CA.

Planned budget is $475k to $550k and we'd prefer something fairly recently updated in the neighborhood of 2500 to 2900sf.

Unless truly ridiculous, commuting is not a major concern for me given my current, wonderful 50 minute, 16 mile commute to work AFTER I drop off at school.

So ... with the limited info above, any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 04:40 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,211,046 times
I would look in the 75229 neighborhoods right around the schools. Your budget and home size are perfect and lots are a little bigger than you'll get in Prestonwood. Plus, most of the Catholic school families live there so you can make friends and live near the kids' friends. Neighborhoods like Sparkman Club, Disney Streets, etc are perfect for you. The private schools here have pretty social parents groups and most of the dinners, moms' nights, etc are in Dallas.

It's about 20 minutes to downtown/ uptown which yes, is where most of the law firms are. Depending on where exactly you work, you might even be able to take Marsh which into Lemmon and spits you right into Uptown - no highway driving or expensive tolls! Your wife's commute will be about 20 minutes in the AM via the Dallas North Tollroad and varies greatly in the PM. If she leaves at 5, it will take about an hour. If she leaves at 6:30, it's about 30 minutes. Widening the Tollroad in Plano is really creating horrific PM traffic.

If you live in Plano, think of all the awful driving everyone but your wife will do! Your kids will be commuting to & from school in heavy rush hour traffic, plus most of their friends will live in Dallas. I work at Legacy and most of the Catholic families I know ended up moving to Dallas from Collin County because of the school commute. Most 16 year olds can safely drive a few miles in neighborhood traffic to school but the thought of putting a brand new driver on the Tollroad is pretty scary- for the students AND all the other drivers on the road!!

Old 03-23-2017, 05:07 PM

Thank you for the quick response and suggestion! Just checked Zillow and although there doesn't appear to be much inventory right now in that area for what we are looking for, I'll definitely keep it in mind. Might be a hard sell to the wife, though, given her current 10-15 minute commute to work with reverse traffic. Grrr. Then again, her schedule should have some flexibility so it's not out of the question.

I hear you about the kids driving. We're still a year away, though, as our oldest will only be turning 15 in a little over a month. She's already excited about the prospect of driving and plans to get her driver's permit ASAP so I'm warning you all now!

Old 03-24-2017, 02:04 PM

269 posts, read 573,428 times
my only concern would be the crime statistics in Prestonwood....though this was in 2014

Crime

Prestonwood includes portions of these police beats: 622, 624, 625

Throughout those beats during 2014, there were:

Aggravated Assaults (non-family violence) 4
Aggravated Assaults (family violence) 7
Business Burglaries 49
Home Burglaries 103
Motor-Vehicle Burglaries 207
Auto Thefts 54
Business Robberies 6
Robberies of Individuals 17
Shoplifting Incidents 46
Other Thefts 101
Murders 1
Rapes 4

Old 03-24-2017, 04:43 PM

Pardon the ignorance, but is that high? Without an apples to apples comparison with my current area, those numbers don't she'd much light for me. Comparing neighborhoods from the D Magazine list of neighborhoods shows that Prestonwood seems similar to other areas we've looked at.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:06 PM

8,103 posts, read 8,284,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagodog View Post
Pardon the ignorance, but is that high? Without an apples to apples comparison with my current area, those numbers don't she'd much light for me. Comparing neighborhoods from the D Magazine list of neighborhoods shows that Prestonwood seems similar to other areas we've looked at.
No, not high. Prestonwood is a good area.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:39 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,149,666 times
If 3 out of 4 members are commuting to Dallas and you won't need public schools then staying in Dallas makes sense, safety can be an issue but if you pick a safer pocket then you should be fine.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
If 3 out of 4 members are commuting to Dallas and you won't need public schools then staying in Dallas makes sense, safety can be an issue but if you pick a safer pocket then you should be fine.
Safety in the city of Dallas is not really a concern once you start looking at neighborhoods with home prices over $200k. Anywhere near the private schools is very safe and quiet, assuming they don't do stupid things like leave their car running or their doors unlocked. 90% of the posts on my neighborhood's Next Door App are about missing dogs or the occasional coyote spotting.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:57 PM

Also, OP, add 75244 to your list. I always forget the neighborhood behind Jesuit & St Rita changes zip codes. Hugely Catholic neighborhood with even closer access to the Tollroad than points further west and south.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Safety in the city of Dallas is not really a concern once you start looking at neighborhoods with home prices over $200k. Anywhere near the private schools is very safe and quiet, assuming they don't do stupid things like leave their car running or their doors unlocked. 90% of the posts on my neighborhood's Next Door App are about missing dogs or the occasional coyote spotting.
This has been our impression of Dallas so far and was why I was little surprised that crime was brought up as an issue. As mentioned above, we're from LA which isn't exactly crime-free. Here, we know where to go and what areas to avoid. Figure it'll be the same in Dallas ... exercise common sense and we should be fine.

Looks like we'll be focusing on Dallas, trying to stay close to the DNT.

Now, is it just me or are the homes west of the DNT a little but less expensive than those east on the other side of the DNT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: