Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 09:16 AM

450 posts, read 555,659 times

Advertisements

All,

So some of us got some pretty nasty hail yesterday.

I am in the Little Elm/Frisco area, and we got a bunch of hail but it was marble sized, maybe slightly larger.

I didn't see any damage to the roof but what do I know. I called Amica and I am having an adjuster come out to inspect my property for damages.

Is this the right thing to do? Or do I need to hire out an independent company to inspect?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 09:36 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,172,957 times
Most people recommend getting a property inspection by some contractor before contacting your insurance. If you do need it then call them and afterwards get few quotes before deciding whom to work with. If you have someone who did a good job on your home in past hailstorm or on your neighbor's home, just go with them instead of going with lowest quote.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Most people recommend getting a property inspection by some contractor before contacting your insurance. If you do need it then call them and get few quotes before deciding whom to go with. If you have someone who did a good job on your home in past hailstorm or on your neighbor's home, just go with them.
I just moved into the house, so I have no clue on who to call. Do roofers typically charge for this type of inspection?

That is kind of why I went to insurance company first, so they come out and check first to see if there is damage.

Please PM if you have a good reco. Thanks!

Old 03-27-2017, 09:41 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,237,056 times
I wouldn't have called your insurance agent just yet. UnfairPark has a better solution.

The second you call your insurance company, that counts as a claim against your home... even if they come out and find no damage, and no work needs to be done. I went through that myself a few years back, also because of a hail storm. It just gives them a reason to raise your rates the following year, and if you try to switch insurance carriers, the new carrier is going to show that you made a claim against the property, and will also give you higher rates than they would have otherwise.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:42 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,174,373 times
Do you think your roof is original? If you aren't sure, check the city's website to see if a roofing permit was ever pulled. They are required for replacement roofs so you'll be able to see the company that replaced it. I think most companies would come look at them for free, especially if it's a roof they put on.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:42 AM

It's okay. Just ask on your HOA's social media page or your neighborhood's Nextdoor community and go with one other neighbors are using. They'll be coming to your neighborhood anyways and would give free estimate. All estimates are free.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
Do you think your roof is original? If you aren't sure, check the city's website to see if a roofing permit was ever pulled. They are required for replacement roofs so you'll be able to see the company that replaced it. I think most companies would come look at them for free, especially if it's a roof they put on.
Yeah. That's a good idea.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:55 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,402,042 times
If you neighborhood got any damage roofing companies will descend upon it like flies. I couldn't get my mail or mow my lawn without talking to a roofer until June after a March storm last year.

In my experience, yes the roofers will inspect without an insurance claim, but they won't do any work so it doesn't hurt to call your insurance company. If they ever don't recommend major repairs including roof replacement after a storm, I'd be surprised.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:22 AM

8,134 posts, read 3,669,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
All,

So some of us got some pretty nasty hail yesterday.

I am in the Little Elm/Frisco area, and we got a bunch of hail but it was marble sized, maybe slightly larger.

I didn't see any damage to the roof but what do I know. I called Amica and I am having an adjuster come out to inspect my property for damages.

Is this the right thing to do? Or do I need to hire out an independent company to inspect?

Thoughts?

So what was the size? Normally, 3/4in or less should not cause damage. Once you cross 1in size, it depends. Last year in Plano we had 2in+, which I think is not survivable by any shingle roof.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I wouldn't have called your insurance agent just yet. UnfairPark has a better solution.

The second you call your insurance company, that counts as a claim against your home... even if they come out and find no damage, and no work needs to be done. I went through that myself a few years back, also because of a hail storm. It just gives them a reason to raise your rates the following year, and if you try to switch insurance carriers, the new carrier is going to show that you made a claim against the property, and will also give you higher rates than they would have otherwise.

Edit: I followed up with them, it seems it does get reported on the CLUE report. My rates aren't affected, but still wish they would have informed me of this before I proceeded....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
Unsure. I will check. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
So what was the size? Normally, 3/4in or less should not cause damage. Once you cross 1in size, it depends. Last year in Plano we had 2in+, which I think is not survivable by any shingle roof.
MAYBE around an inch.

Last edited by gocubs418; 03-27-2017 at 11:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas