Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 08:07 AM

617 posts, read 1,042,036 times

Advertisements

Speaking as a non-native who's lived here for a while (and loves both Dallas and Houston), I would say:

* Dallas and Houston are a lot more similar to each other than either one is to, say, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston... In the big picture, I see them as both "big Texas cities."

* The only two things that I immediately notice as different are: 1. climate (humidity) and 2. Houston is more centralized - the central downtown area feels a lot bigger - it's hard for me to actually believe that DFW is a larger metro area because it's so spread out.

* To me, both cities are prime examples of "great places to live; wouldn't be at the top of my list as a tourist." I wouldn't get on a plane to see anything particular in either place as a tourist, but if I found myself in either place, I'd have a great time with restaurants, parks, museums, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
As a native Houstonian, Dallas intrigues me a lot. I've never visited but have just heard the stories about it being a land of luxurious burbs, classy areas and an image based culture that makes it a notch above working class Houston. Houstonians would always call Dallasites snobs but putting all that aside just what gives Dallas it's luxurious image? Is it the architecture? The culture?

It also intrigues me because there is a booming tech industry there only second to Austin. It's always making the top ten list of booming tech towns so I am assuming there is a component to Dallas's working culture that is also a bit creative over the more blue collar Houston, no?

How would natives and residents describe Dallas and the surrounding North Texas towns? Is it worth the visit? I am going to go to Austin with a lady friend and we were wondering if Dallas might be worth the stop? It seems like it will considering all the cool stuff we've been hearing.

* About luxury / classy / snobby -- I don't know. Having driven admiringly through both River Oaks and Highland Park -- they both look pretty classy to me! I would be surprised if Dallas was somehow classier in the bigger picture.

* Very subjective impression - speaking as someone who lives in Dallas vs. the burbs - the tech sector is heavily in the burbs and it doesn't seem to make a huge impact on Dallas itself. Could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 08:28 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
Actually by culture I meant the culture of class, luxury, socialite scene. Not the cowboy stuffZ
Well I don't know much about that, but as a comparison Dallas got a "Real Housewives" franchise after Atlanta, so 'Nuff Said in my opinion on the comparative cultural capital of Dallas vs the rest of the world and vs the rest of Texas.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:06 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
You're assuming that the Real Housewives are classy. Rich maybe, but you can't confuse money with class.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
You're assuming that the Real Housewives are classy. Rich maybe, but you can't confuse money with class.
I've spend enough time around people like that to know there's not that much difference in reality. 'Class' is just a marker that means 'smart enough not to appear on TV'. Also it's a TV show - the way they act is fake.

I'm just using it as a proxy to show how much cultural capital Dallas has vs the rest of TX. I'm sure the person isn't asking how much Dallas socialites donate to charity (not that much comparatively vs public investment) or to social causes (not that much vs public investment) as stand-ins for class. NE wealth & class buries powerlines across the entire city for example. Dallas not so much.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:03 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Well c'mon guys, Texas Monthly doesn't report on the real housewives stuff but culture as in wining, dining, arts, class, fashion, luxury.

I am sure the keeping up with the joneses and the new mixed use retail development centers are big in Dallas but I am sure that is not all there is to it.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:05 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I've spend enough time around people like that to know there's not that much difference in reality. 'Class' is just a marker that means 'smart enough not to appear on TV'. Also it's a TV show - the way they act is fake.

I'm just using it as a proxy to show how much cultural capital Dallas has vs the rest of TX. I'm sure the person isn't asking how much Dallas socialites donate to charity (not that much comparatively vs public investment) or to social causes (not that much vs public investment) as stand-ins for class. NE wealth & class buries powerlines across the entire city for example. Dallas not so much.
Not every northern city does that.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:00 PM

554 posts, read 684,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Benjamin View Post

* About luxury / classy / snobby -- I don't know. Having driven admiringly through both River Oaks and Highland Park -- they both look pretty classy to me! I would be surprised if Dallas was somehow classier in the bigger picture.
Dallas and Houston have a notorious rivalry - often documented in D magazine amongst other places - I think you'd find quite an argument could erupt around who was "classier."

Old 04-07-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Not every northern city does that.
Of course not. Only the classy ones.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:51 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post

That's interesting, you've managed to write something that is likely true and utterly bogus at the same time.
1. The US private sector is the most generous in the world by far maybe by a factor of 10.
2. Dallas' private sector social donations crush most cities of the world. I've got to say in case you were asleep.......many the places your like to go in Dallas are named after people who seeded or funded those spaces.
3. Local, state and federal governments demand so much that there is no way private monies - especially when big talking liberals give far less to charity than conservatives (and have throughout history) - can match the gross numbers.

FWIIW social welfare sending in The US is right around a 2/3 public 1/3 private proposition. No country anywhere one Earth......the big talking French, the Danes, Brits etc. not one country comes close to that private figure.

And yes if you trust The OECD I can prove it.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:16 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
especially when big talking liberals give far less to charity than conservatives (and have throughout history)
Is this true if one eliminates church giving from the equation? The small amount of research on the topic that I've done suggests this difference disappears when religious donations are eliminated, and that secular conservatives are particularly non-philanthropic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas