Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 05:18 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,101,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
And for some reason, people in other parts of the country -- Texas included -- think Californians are rich and are leaving California with massive amounts of money. Many of them are not. So prices start climbing on these beliefs. And then they blame the higher prices on Californians, who are left wondering what the heck happened.
Well, the cost of living in California is so ridicuously expensive that the vast majority of Californians either a.) sell their overpriced homes before they move here and are either able to put down ridiculously huge downpayments or pay in cash to the point where they cause crazy bidding wars and can actually bid well over the asking price, or b.) have their companies that relocated them here continue to pay them their inflated California salary while salaries are NOT going up for those of us who were already here before the California Effect, even though you have already driven the cost of housing and the cost of living up for most of us locals. Heck, some even do both A AND B, so yeah, they can definitely live very well here right now while they push/price the rest of us out. So nobody is saying Californians are "rich," but most of them who are moving here might as well be, because you all are making it where you will have to be rich to afford to live here.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 04-03-2017 at 05:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 12:31 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,975,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
But in many cases, it's not that California pushes people out. It's that the jobs moved here.
You can thank Texas government for making it financially attractive for so many companies to move here.
I wonder just how much incentive Toyota received to go through the expense of building that Taj Mahal that's going up right now, plus move so many of their employees??

And for some reason, people in other parts of the country -- Texas included -- think Californians are rich and are leaving California with massive amounts of money. Many of them are not. So prices start climbing on these beliefs. And then they blame the higher prices on Californians, who are left wondering what the heck happened.

Over the years, I've seen people move to Seattle, and then return to California or go to Portland, because it was cheaper. Same thing with Las Vegas. With Phoenix.
This is what I meant by Texas wishes it could be Cali not that every Texan wishes they could live in Cali although a lot of them would flock to Cali if they could afford it let's be honest here.

However yes there are plenty of Texans with Texas pride especially the Texans in Austin and Ft. Worth.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:05 PM

772 posts, read 934,074 times
Some of the opinions expressed in here are just downright loony.

I used to live in Palo Alto as a kid. Weather was always great, lots of things to see and do in the area, etc. When I got older visiting Napa was always enjoyable, staying in bed and breakfasts along the way was a great way to spend a long weekend.

My parents and I moved to Hilton Head from CA... almost 40 years ago. Even then, what you could get for your money went a lot farther elsewhere in the country than in the nicer parts of CA. As my father saw it, moving across country was an excellent arbitrage opportunity. We went from one coast to a house that was actually on the beach in HH.

There comes a point where the "value" of living in California (value derived from weather, scenery, beaches, jobs) no longer makes sense. My parents sold their home in HH for a couple million, and now they can afford to live anywhere they would want. My mother wanted to move back to CA, to be honest... until my father put it into perspective.

"For the prices we'd have to pay to get a house like our house in HH in CA, it would be cheaper to buy a private island."

That's when you know there's no longer an argument to be made for CA as far as scenery and weather are concerned.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:23 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
The me that owns a small house in Dallas thanks the Californians for making it worth a lot more.

The me that cannot afford to upgrade from that small house, due to the superheated bubblicious prices, curses the Californians for driving up all the prices.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:44 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,628,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
I'm from Cali and I've been back and forth for a few years due to an older relative that live in Dallas but I refuse to relocate to Dallas permanently. There's just not anything Dallas has to offer that is worth leaving Cali for and I can afford to live comfortably in Cali so I don't need to move to Texas to save money or because I'm being financially pushed out like a lot of Cali transplants that have been forced to move to Texas. I don't love anything about DFW except that I can fly pretty much anywhere easily. Texas wishes it could be California.
NO.......Texas does NOT wish it could be California. [mod cut]

Last edited by Acntx; 04-07-2017 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 04-06-2017, 09:23 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,562 times
Quote:
This is what I meant by Texas wishes it could be Cali not that every Texan wishes they could live in Cali although a lot of them would flock to Cali if they could afford it let's be honest here.

However yes there are plenty of Texans with Texas pride especially the Texans in Austin and Ft. Worth.
There are many people here that do have the option (financially) to move to Cali if they wanted to, but choose not to. You act like people that live here are forced to live here aka prison sentence. Very condescending and ignorant. I'm not even a native born Texan. If I moved to Cali, it would have little do with Texas. I like experiencing different places, which all have their own unique qualities.

I really hope we have less of your type being forced to live here. There are pros and cons to everywhere. But insulting the locals and transplants that truly enjoy being here is just wrong. Cali is not utopia to every single individual. There are many other great states to enjoy.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:30 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
We really need less people coming here just to exploit or to save a couple of bucks. Add value to the region, even if you don't like it -- volunteer, get involved in local politics, or maybe open up a business you feel is lacking here. Plant a tree. Anything to improve QOL. Even if you hate a place, at least leave knowing you did something to improve life there instead of just whining, bitching, clogging our roadways, and increasing the COL.

Last edited by Acntx; 04-07-2017 at 01:15 PM..

Old 04-06-2017, 04:57 PM

158 posts, read 659,349 times
Texas is a large and beautiful state with a unique culture unlike any other state. Texans have a lot of pride and most (if not all) would laugh when told they wish they were like Cali. CA has many unique and beautiful qualities as well. Apples to oranges.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:55 PM

18 posts, read 20,145 times
Quote:
Exactly! The majority of people leave Cali because they can't afford to stay there, if you were to give them the financial means to live without penny pinching, they would leave Texas in less than 60 seconds and forget Texas ever existed. The consensus of transplants that relocate not only to Texas but AZ and other places primarily disappointment is money, not because they don't like Cali. However ask Texas transplants and the majority of them will in fact say they hate Texas and happy they could afford to relocate especially the Texas transplants in Colorado.
Which pretty much sums up the general negative attitude towards these folks. They're essentially leaches that have no loyalty whatsoever to the area and are only here to take advantage of the situation. As soon as that bubble pops it's on to the next place they can suck dry.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:02 AM

5,829 posts, read 4,168,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
We really need less people coming here just to exploit or to save a couple of bucks. Add value to the region, even if you don't like it -- volunteer, get involved in local politics, or maybe open up a business you feel is lacking here. Plant a tree. Anything to improve QOL. Even if you hate a place, at least leave knowing you did something to improve life there instead of just whining, bitching, clogging our roadways, and increasing the COL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvine21 View Post
Which pretty much sums up the general negative attitude towards these folks. They're essentially leaches that have no loyalty whatsoever to the area and are only here to take advantage of the situation. As soon as that bubble pops it's on to the next place they can suck dry.
Wow, a lot of negativity here toward a large group of people who are likely not homogeneous. Considering this board talks a lot about how great the DFW economy is, and how every company seems to be moving to DFW, it would seem appropriate to recognize that there are two sides to that coin. Economic and population growth means transplants, and if you think DFW offers a compelling combination of economic opportunity and cost of living, you should recognize that people will move here to "save a couple of bucks," which is far from "exploitation."

It's also ironic that a lot of people here have said they wouldn't wish Texas was California because Texas is simply better, but someone from California who says something comparable is somehow showing a snobbish attitude [mod cut].

I also think it's a stretch (and presumptuous) to assume that people who move here from California and don't like Texas don't volunteer or get involved in any way. "Whining, bitching and driving on the highways" don't seem mutually exclusive to being involved. I think a lot of assumptions are being made.

Last edited by Acntx; 04-07-2017 at 01:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas