Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 12:51 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times

Advertisements

We won't know whether Fitch is correct or not for quite some time - only now can we look back and see that their dire predictions from the last two years were not accurate. I do hope the rate of appreciation slows down because double digits is not sustainable even in a market that has completely transformed like DFW has over the last decade with population and job growth.

That said, real estate is the safest buy when 1) you put 20%+ down and 2) you plan to stay in the home for 5-7+ years. These guidelines are as important in a weak market as a strong one because ultimately they protect the buyer. A 20% down payment ensures you can weather a fairly significant correction and still sell if you get transferred, lose your job, etc. Buying and holding for 5-7 years ensures you'll be able to climb out of any downturn that may occur. A lot of times in rising markets, buyers panic and buy under less than adequate financial circumstances. Those are the buyers who put the whole market at risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 01:12 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
So interest rates are not part of the 'market' but are a separate factor that curtails 'legitimate economic growth'.

Alright.

Quick economics lesson:
Not Legitimate economic growth: theft/extreme bribery/ rebellions
legit economic growth: everything else
I don't know how you got that from anything I said. I clearly stated that interest rates can have a direct impact on the market, and I never said anything about how interest rates affect economic growth. I have no idea how the last part of your comment relates to anything being discussed. By "legitimate economic growth," I simply mean improving fundamentals in the local economy. Rising real estate prices are not necessarily indicative of economic growth, and rising real estate prices can have multiple contributing factors, with economic growth being only part of the explanation.

Last edited by Wittgenstein's Ghost; 04-04-2017 at 01:32 PM..

Old 04-04-2017, 02:10 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I don't know how you got that from anything I said. I clearly stated...
I think the fact that multiple people are taking you to task for your comments should tell you that what you are saying is anything but clear.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:14 PM

769 posts, read 782,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I think the fact that multiple people are taking you to task for your comments should tell you that what you are saying is anything but clear.
I thought the ghost was perfectly clear.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:18 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
If only it were true that clear speaking implied clear communication.....what a world it would be.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:33 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Another tidbit..........

Dallas knocks Atlanta from top spot in small biz ranking | Economy | Dallas News

Old 04-04-2017, 05:37 PM

18 posts, read 20,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triciaandpat View Post
I have been a long time "lurker" on these boards. My husband and I moved from California 6 months ago, he is a native Texan born in Fort Worth while I have never lived anywhere but Southern California until now. We were not in a position to buy a home here until recently (as finding an apartment was our first order of business) and this concerns me:
D-FW home prices are 10 to 14 percent overvalued, says Wall Street firm | Real Estate | Dallas News
Any thoughts from those also home searching right now? Thoughts from those who went through the last housing downturn here? It wouldn't seem like prices were so crazy if I hadn't been looking at homes here every November for the last 6 years when we visited my DH's family in Fort Worth for Thanksgiving. I truly don't know if we should "pull the trigger" and buy or rent for a couple years and see what happens. It seems like the cost of home ownership is cheaper than California but when you figure in the highest homeowner insurance rates in the nation and high property taxes the picture doesn't look as rosy. Yes, houses are cheaper but those are sunk costs that do not pay down principal. I'm also seeing $1000 and $2000 dollar deductibles for hail and tornado damage which seems to happen a lot here...Would love some opinions. Feeling like an indecisive fence sitter!
Not to sound rude, but this is a contributing factor to the cost of houses rising.... I've been priced out of my hometown because of it.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:02 PM

15 posts, read 21,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvine21 View Post
Not to sound rude, but this is a contributing factor to the cost of houses rising.... I've been priced out of my hometown because of it.
Not rude at all, but I think it has a lot to do with big companies/jobs moving here. People move for the jobs. My husband feels the same way as you. He is a Fort Worth native. We can no longer afford the Mistletoe Heights area where his brother lives because the prices have risen dramatically there the last 6 years. Honestly we are in a bad position because he foolishly took a pay cut to come here to be close to his 3 siblings and then was misled by his company about benefit cost and bonuses so we thought we could easily afford a house we love here but at this point we are settling for ticking some of the boxes Truly I wish we had never left Southern California.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:08 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
Nothing wrong with people moving here to work and contribute. I think Dallas-Fort Worth is actually blessed to have unpopular scenery and climate, or we'd have to deal with rich people swiping in from the coasts and other countries just to buy vacation homes or investments.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:57 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
D-FW cranks out another 119,000 new jobs
Quote:
More than 119,000 new jobs were added in the Dallas-Fort Worth area during the 12-month period ending in February. The total employment base in North Texas grew by about 3.5 percent.
Quote:
The increase in employment has driven the commercial construction boom and has made the area's housing market one of the tightest in the country. More than 200 people a day are moving to North Texas — many of them seeking new jobs, economists say.

D-FW had more new jobs during the year ending February than all of the other major Texas metro areas combined.
Overvalued? Forget about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas