Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 08:54 AM

23 posts, read 27,505 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who's had quite the ordeal with DR Horton over the past year, it took 11 months to build his home in North Dallas and he was finally able to close as of two weeks ago. Upon moving in this past weekend he now has a plumbing problem upstairs that has leaked into the garage. He contacted the plumber provided through the builder and will contact the sales office directly today, based on his experience as a whole he's concerned he's going to have to fight with the builder/sales to motivate them to repair the problem even though he is under warranty.

With that being said I'm guessing several of you have had countless headaches with builders throughout your own home building process, did anyone have to result to legal assistance to get the builder to honor contracts? Appreciate your responses, thank you.

BA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 10:25 AM

537 posts, read 597,951 times
I've had several DR Horton homes, and while it's true they made a lot of mistakes that were caught before and after closing (like with any builder), they fixed them all at no cost to me. DR Horton was always fast and responsive with me in getting warranty issues like that taken care of. If the specific builder/sales person is not taking it seriously, go above their heads and contact DR Horton customer service directly. You can even go talk to a DR Horton office in another location, and they could give advice. I'd try doing that before going the legal route, which can be costly and time consuming.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBungo View Post
I've had several DR Horton homes, and while it's true they made a lot of mistakes that were caught before and after closing (like with any builder), they fixed them all at no cost to me. DR Horton was always fast and responsive with me in getting warranty issues like that taken care of. If the specific builder/sales person is not taking it seriously, go above their heads and contact DR Horton customer service directly. You can even go talk to a DR Horton office in another location, and they could give advice. I'd try doing that before going the legal route, which can be costly and time consuming.
Thank you for the response, I'll definitely pass along that he can call DR Horton directly if he is not getting assistance from the sales team or builder. Since I posted this morning his plumbing problem has turned into an electrical problem, no power at all in the home. It's an unfortunate situation, thanks again.

BA

Old 04-04-2017, 10:41 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Did he have his own independent inspector? His own realtor at least?

It sounds like he didn't really "build the home" in that he wasn't financing the construction but bought (closed) on a new home built by a builder, a big huge production builder. He needs to get going fast and go through the warranty process exactly as outlined.

Do that first before getting a lawyer, once you get a lawyer DH Horton will only respond to the lawyer with their lawyer and it can get costly quick.

Edited to add that even now he might want to invest in his own independent inspector and figure out exactly what is going wrong!

Old 04-04-2017, 03:10 PM

537 posts, read 597,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_billymc View Post
Thank you for the response, I'll definitely pass along that he can call DR Horton directly if he is not getting assistance from the sales team or builder. Since I posted this morning his plumbing problem has turned into an electrical problem, no power at all in the home. It's an unfortunate situation, thanks again.

BA
Wow. Well the good news is that all of that should be covered under warranty, and that sounds serious enough that if it prevents your friend from moving in, DR Horton could be liable for paying for your friend's existing rent or mortgage since he cannot move into the new home yet. In cases like that, DR Horton should move quick. If the builder or sales person are unresponsive to emails or phone calls (actually, it's best to handle these things via email so it's in writing) then this can also be a complaint against them. Usually the builder and sales person are very responsive to these sorts of things since they don't want a complaint against them, but I'm no longer surprised at the incompetence of some people. And as mentioned, exhaust all options through DR Horton and their customer service before going the legal route. And get everything in writing, of course.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:53 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Shame he didn't get a home Inspection before he closed.

DR Horton will take care of the problem. They don't need the headaches and it costs them nothing to get the plumber out.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:36 AM

Appreciate everyone's response, he seems to be making some progress over the last couple of days. With the water issue impacting the electrical in the home it appears to have motivated some folks. We've talked to friends/coworkers that have had homes built over the years and it certainly seems like while building a home sounds great it without doubt comes with a mixed bag of headaches. Thanks again everyone.

BA

Old 04-05-2017, 06:35 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,488,859 times
DR Horton is typically a good if not great builder.....

However it sure helps to have a great Realtor involved and one who recommends phase inspections.

Way way way too often do we hear of all kinds of issues like these....many of which can be avoided.

I've caught lots and lots and lots of mistakes by builders during the process and we see these types of complaints all the time in various forums. Too many people go at it alone....thinking the builder is their friend....many times it works out, but often it doesn't. Good thing is the problem is caught this year...and not next year...or five years down the line which also often happens.

Your friend can still get an inspection.....now he knows why. Builder might even pay for it if you negotiate the right way....or split the cost.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: