Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 02:21 PM

8,102 posts, read 8,254,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevehanrahan41 View Post
So in my opinion it would have to be a significant pay raise to want to move from the Springs to DFW. The natural beauty alone is something you will sorely miss. That being said, honestly that's a low budget to rent here in DFW. Your best bet will be to try SW Arlington, Mansfield, Midlothian, Red Oak, Cedar Hill or Waxahachie. All of those locations will be a lower COL and generally have pretty decent school districts.

Did I mention you'd have to be crazy to move here from the Springs?? Lol. Good luck OP
Midlothian is a real option if a rental in the budget could be procured. I own just about the cheapest rental there (leased so not available) and my rental fetches $1300/mo and easily I can get $1450 at renewal. Perhaps there's an apartment to be had (not many in Midlothian) and its sure worth looking into.

Cedar Hill is a decent commute, but schools not so good. SW Arlington is a gem of an area in the Martin attendance zone (I have rentals there) but a horrible commute for downtown Dallas. Mansfield, Wax and Red Oak ditto on bad commute.

Lake Highlands is another option to be considered, but have to be very careful about location. Apartments near Skillman near LBJ/635 are in high crime area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 08:01 PM

35 posts, read 41,843 times
Quote:
So in my opinion it would have to be a significant pay raise to want to move from the Springs to DFW. The natural beauty alone is something you will sorely miss. That being said, honestly that's a low budget to rent here in DFW. Your best bet will be to try SW Arlington, Mansfield, Midlothian, Red Oak, Cedar Hill or Waxahachie. All of those locations will be a lower COL and generally have pretty decent school districts.

Did I mention you'd have to be crazy to move here from the Springs?? Lol. Good luck OP
The natural beauty will be missed for sure here. However, you would be surprised at how expensive the Springs is getting. It's going to catch up with Denver soon. And the pot is causing a lot more undesirable things here as well. We are moving because my husband will make more and have more career growth opportunities there. Plus I do overnight newborn care and there's a nice market for that there as well. We are getting tapped out here with work opportunities and growth. We are looking at Euless as an option right now.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:41 PM

445 posts, read 408,843 times
OP, have you considered that TX does not have state income tax? That's 5% savings there.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:43 PM

35 posts, read 41,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bp25 View Post
OP, have you considered that TX does not have state income tax? That's 5% savings there.
Yes that in addition to his raise will be very helpful.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:14 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,858,392 times
Try zip code 75038 in Las Colinas. Plenty of rentals.

I used to live in one of a few affordable SFH subdivisions in this area. 2-3 years ago, you can have a house for 170k . The same house is now 270k.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Try zip code 75038 in Las Colinas. Plenty of rentals.

I used to live in one of a few affordable SFH subdivisions in this area. 2-3 years ago, you can have a house for 170k . The same house is now 270k.
In this zip code you will need charter schools; schools are low performing.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:36 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,858,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
In this zip code you will need charter schools; schools are low performing.
Depend on where you live, you have Irving, Carrollton or Coppell ISDs. Coppell is especially very highly rated.

The place I lived zones to Freeman elementary school , very highly rated school. The high school is Ranchview which is ok, not comparable to Plano but much better than some of the place recommended here.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Depend on where you live, you have Irving, Carrollton or Coppell ISDs. Coppell is especially very highly rated.

The place I lived zones to Freeman elementary school , very highly rated school. The high school is Ranchview which is ok, not comparable to Plano but much better than some of the place recommended here.
You must have been in a teeney sliver of 75038 (near Lee Park?) for CFiSD schools -- which are totally acceptable. Most of 75038 is in Irving ISD. I am an investor and most of my properties have been in Irving with a few in Euless, Dallas, Arlington and Midlothian -- but Irving has been my anchor city so I am deeply familiar with it.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:20 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,021,301 times
Quote:
So in my opinion it would have to be a significant pay raise to want to move from the Springs to DFW. The natural beauty alone is something you will sorely miss.

This kind of "advice" is really not helpful. I'm sure the OP is smart enough to realize that Dallas is not in the Rockies. We got the same kind of comments..."you're crazy to leave North Carolina".

At the risk of being obvious, sometimes you have to sacrifice on certain things in order to meet your long term goals. OP sounds mature and open to various options.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:51 PM

422 posts, read 538,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
This kind of "advice" is really not helpful. I'm sure the OP is smart enough to realize that Dallas is not in the Rockies. We got the same kind of comments..."you're crazy to leave North Carolina".

At the risk of being obvious, sometimes you have to sacrifice on certain things in order to meet your long term goals. OP sounds mature and open to various options.

Thanks for taking a snippet of my comment and replying to that, not the 6 other cities I recommended to check out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas