Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 08:15 AM

6 posts, read 9,386 times

Advertisements

No, we do not have $1.5m laying around (I wish!), but we have been very fortunate in our careers so far. Spouse would only be commuting a few times a week, so he is not all that concerned about the time, only that it is less than 2 hours to Love Field. Ideally, I would live closer in so that my commute (to wherever I work) is less than 45 minutes. In Northern VA/DC Metro, my commute is 1- 1 1/2 hours morning and night, so pretty much anything is better than that.

Lakes in Virginia are natural beautiful lakes that are not all that susceptible to droughts (at least not the bigger ones), and although we do have a lot of snakes and other critters, we certainly do not have alligators. Is that really an issue on the north side of Dallas? How do they get there?

We have thought about private schools as well, but since there are so many great (non-waterfront) homes in great school districts, I haven't looked into it that much. Granted, after a few years (6-7) the kids have graduated and we will either still have a large mortgage for a great home in a great school districts with no school-aged kids, or a smaller mortgage in a great area with medium schools with no school-aged kids, but having paid the same amount of cash due to private schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 08:51 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
Quote:
certainly do not have alligators. Is that really an issue on the north side of Dallas?
No.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:54 AM

6 posts, read 9,386 times
Thanks. Another post mentioned alligators, which surprised me that they would come that far north or inland.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:08 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2TXpilotwife View Post
Thanks. Another post mentioned alligators, which surprised me that they would come that far north or inland.
Alligators ARE native to North Texas. While it's not Flordia, there are regular alligator sightings at the local lakes here. Just google "alligator + the name of the lake" and news stories will pop up. I googled Lake Lewisville and there were alligators seen there in 2015 (a 9-footer) and 2014 (a 4-6 footer).

Here are two news stories from last year where alligators were found close to downtown Dallas:
Look: Large alligator spotted on riverbank by police helicopter - UPI.com
https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcdf...html%3Famp%3Dy

Old 04-11-2017, 09:14 AM

630 posts, read 657,756 times
DFW lakes are artificial reservoirs connected to the Trinity river system, so all that fauna can roam free in the drainage basin, creeks, lakes etc.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:18 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
Quote:
I googled Lake Lewisville and there were alligators seen there in 2015 (a 9-footer) and 2014 (a 4-6 footer).
I mean I guess, but that's like saying 'google lake name + random dead body' and you might get results from later than 2015. I'll just say I've been going to the DFW area lakes for 17 years and have never seen an alligator, whereas I've been to lakes in the Houston area twice and New Orleans once and seen alligators in both.

I saw a plane crash on Lake Texoma once, but that doesn't mean I'd avoid buying lakefront property to avoid being crashed into.

So I really don't count them as a 'thing'.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:16 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I mean I guess, but that's like saying 'google lake name + random dead body' and you might get results from later than 2015. I'll just say I've been going to the DFW area lakes for 17 years and have never seen an alligator, whereas I've been to lakes in the Houston area twice and New Orleans once and seen alligators in both.

I saw a plane crash on Lake Texoma once, but that doesn't mean I'd avoid buying lakefront property to avoid being crashed into.

So I really don't count them as a 'thing'.
I'm just saying, they are here. Alligator sightings always make the local news. OP asked whether they live this far north & inland and the answer is yes, they do.

That doesn't mean I avoid our local lakes or think about alligators or even snakes when I'm at a lake. We ski and swim at Lake Ray Hubbard a few times each year.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:17 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I mean I guess, but that's like saying 'google lake name + random dead body' and you might get results from later than 2015.

Good point. In Lake Lewisville , I'd be far more concerned with dead bodies than alligators. That said, I'm roughly .2% concerned about alligators and .5% concerned about dead bodies in the lake so it's all relative. When I'm on the lake, I'm 90% more concerned about the behavior of the people than both alligators and dead bodies combined.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:42 PM

487 posts, read 467,549 times
If you want a boat, Lake Lewisville (aka Lake Dalla)is the Lake to be on.

Check out
Dallas Corinthian Yacht Club - Home

They can help you find the boat dock info!

Old 04-19-2017, 09:43 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2TXpilotwife View Post
Oh, they're here.
Absolutely.
They just aren't usually a problem.
Till they are.
Snakes, on the other hand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: