Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 02:34 PM

5 posts, read 4,991 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a house in Frisco which had a recent foundation repair (in 2015)
They had about 8 exterior piers replaced and a leak test done.
When we were at the house, we noticed almost all the houses on the streets had some foundation work done (based on the signs in their yard)
Questions for the forum members:
a) What key things/questions should I ask the owner?
b) What is the likelihood of me getting stuck with anohter repair in the next 2 -3 years?
c) Should I be even considering this house? I have a busy life with 2 kids and both me and my spouse working full time. I am not looking for a house with a major work to do.

Thanks in advance for your helpful responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 03:03 PM

158 posts, read 180,996 times
As most will tell you, make sure the work was done by a reputable foundation company, which has been in the business for atleast 10+ years. Secondly, the warranty should be transferrable to you. Finally, ask for the structural engineers report etc. post the repair work to make sure the problem was addressed.

Old 04-11-2017, 03:09 PM

210 posts, read 275,516 times
We lived in Frisco for 11 years with no foundation problems, our previous home did need foundation repairs. Water line broke in the slab and piers were required. Never heard the new homeowner had problems after we sold it (the home was 25 years old). First step, if you are serious get a copy of the warranty the repair company gave to the current homeowner and is it transferrable, also check with your homeowner's insurance agent to see if they will cover this home with a foundation policy in the future.

Next, walk the neighborhood and talk to other homeowners with evident repairs and get their stories, any callbacks for additional repairs, when were the repairs done? Personally, if I looked at a neighborhood with prevalent external evidence of several homes being repaired I would look elsewhere. But many times homebuying emotions override logical thinking, not a criticism it just happens that way. Clay causes problems everywhere in north Texas maintaining regular good moisture practices around your foundation, usually keeps foundation movement issues under control. You might look at installing a foundation watering system, we had one installed in our new home in Prosper.

Good luck,

Ray

Last edited by Fiber Guy; 04-11-2017 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: additional comments

Old 04-11-2017, 05:22 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
I've never seen foundation repair signs in yards. You sure those were not roofing signs after the recent hail storm.

If you have questions, get a Foundation Engineer not people on a forum.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:31 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jains View Post
We are looking at a house in Frisco which had a recent foundation repair (in 2015)
When we were at the house, we noticed almost all the houses on the streets had some foundation work done (based on the signs in their yard)
b) What is the likelihood of me getting stuck with anohter repair in the next 2 -3 years?
c) Should I be even considering this house? I have a busy life with 2 kids and both me and my spouse working full time. I am not looking for a house with a major work to do.

Are you talking about a pressure side leak test? You can do another yourself while the homeowner watches for nothing. A sewer line static pressure test requires plugging the sewer line and pulling a toilet (usually) and about an hour - the homeowner likely isn't going to allow that unless the test is executed by a pro.

It may well be a previous pressure side leak caused the earlier foundation issues.

A real live engineer can do a foundation inspection and report for about $400-500 and at a minimum you'll know if the foundation is flat, square to the center of the Earth and where any high and low points are located. It's the best $500 bucks you can spend in Texas.

I know a guy who is a Ph.D - multi-times published civil engineer who may be able to help, I'm not sure he will work in Frisco tho. If you want the number let me know.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:40 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jains View Post

Obtain the following information.
  • Obtain a copy of the original Engineer's report/recommendations, all plumbing test reports, and the original estimate from the foundation company that performed the work that should also list the type of pier recommended.
  • Obtain the actual foundation company repair bill itemizing what was performed and what type of piers were installed. Obtain a copy of the follow on Engineer's report after the repairs as well as any reports for plumbing tests.
  • Contact Frisco to determine if they require a permit for foundation repairs, many cities do, and obtain the permit paperwork for the repairs. You can first run the address in the Frisco online permit search on the Building Inspections Department WEB site to see if a permit was properly opened and closed Building Inspections | Frisco, TX - Official Website .
  • Obtain a copy of the foundation company warranty to ensure it is still in effect and can be transferred to you. Also check what their requirements are and if they have a fee. Some require the warranty to be transferred within "X" days of the sale and access a fee.
  • Ask the owner if the piers have ever been adjusted and/or if any further movement has been experienced either with the piered area (8 piers is a small area) or any other foundation areas.
  • Ask the owner if the original foundation movement caused any damage to the home and what, if anything, was done to repair that damage.
With regards to the pre and post repair paperwork you should review them very closely to ensure that what the Engineer recommended to be done was in fact done. Also review that the original estimate for type of piers, number of piers, and placement of piers was followed.

Not to be a smart arse but if I had a crystal ball I would not be responding to this post. Instead I would be sitting in my dream location doing my dream activities. HOWEVER you should be aware that 8 piers is a small area of the home and even if these piers hold up well additional movements can always occur in locations not piered.

There is no such thing as a "Maintenance Free Home"! A major issue can occur at any time that can be a significant unsettling event. All you can do is hope nothing does occur and not worry about it until it does.

Answers in blue above.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:42 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Are you talking about a pressure side leak test? You can do another yourself while the homeowner watches for nothing. A sewer line static pressure test requires plugging the sewer line and pulling a toilet (usually) and about an hour - the homeowner likely isn't going to allow that unless the test is executed by a pro.

It may well be a previous pressure side leak caused the earlier foundation issues.

A real live engineer can do a foundation inspection and report for about $400-500 and at a minimum you'll know if the foundation is flat, square to the center of the Earth and where any high and low points are located. It's the best $500 bucks you can spend in Texas.

I know a guy who is a Ph.D - multi-times published civil engineer who may be able to help, I'm not sure he will work in Frisco tho. If you want the number let me know.
If you are talking about Tom W. yes he does quite a bit of work in Frisco. He is also a Forensic Engineer and IMO the best around!

Old 04-11-2017, 07:17 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
If you are talking about Tom W. yes he does quite a bit of work in Frisco. He is also a Forensic Engineer and IMO the best around!
I am. I love that guy.
An old buddy used to repair foundations with an engineer who passed away a few years ago......anyway when my buddy and his engineer ran into super complex issues and especially forensics/legal stuff - let's just say Tom was #1 on the speed dial.

Why can't/aren't more people in and around local construction like Tom?

Old 04-12-2017, 07:42 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,484,640 times
Never seen a foundation repair sign in the yard, much less several. Could happen, but I don't think so.
You might want to double check that.
There's only one neighborhood I remember where lots and lots of homes have had foundation repair.
That's Sterling Ranch.

I think rarely is foundation work every a forever fix....unless there is an obvious problem and that problem is fixed....such as some kind of drainage problem....or some kind of water/sewer leak.

Just because it had foundation repair doesn't mean to stay away from the home, but there are a ton of homes in Frisco for sale...can you not find one that hasn't had repair and doesn't need it.

escanlan above has some good advice for what to ask/documentation to gather.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:40 PM

487 posts, read 467,007 times
Look for homes 7+ years old with no history of foundation problems. The builders know the soil expands here and still build slabs regardless of Engineering reports, if they even get one. Hire your own licensed Professionall Civil Engineer to inspect before buying any home in North Texas We built a Pier and Beam to avoid problems with plumbing in the slab as this can be a very costly repair in addition to the foundation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: