Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:00 PM

68 posts, read 280,176 times

Advertisements

Well...after living 10 years in Dallas..we just could not stand it there anymore! We moved to Colorado 10 months ago. If you love mountains..don't move to Dallas!!! It is flat, flatter and the flattest I have seen! The summers are so hot and humid. For approx. 6-8 months you cannot open the windows because of the heat....you constantly have to be with A/C! Then, we could not even let the kids run around the parks without worrying that they would be bitten by fire ants! The pool was great - but, last year the mosquitoes were just eating us up! We thought it would be so much more expensive here in Colorado with the State taxes..but the property taxes compared to TX are so low...and we end up about the same. Actually we are saving money by not having to use the A/C and pest control...and heating this winter has not been bad at all.
True, there are lots of lakes in the Dallas area...but how clean are they? I would not put my foot in any of them! At least the lakes here in the mountains are fresh and clean! And so is the air!
I have to admit shopping and eating out in Dallas was great - actually probably the best I have ever seen...but then I am not a shopping person. True also, housing...you get much less for your money here.....but instead you get the views - we had a great house in Dallas with movie theatre, pool etc..... we do not have this here..but instead we spend time outside enjoying the outdoors!

In Dallas it took hours to get somewhere a bit different (like San Antonio..the hill country)...here we are within 30 mins in the mountains.....lots of forests....wildlife...and sometimes bears in your backyard
We love it here!
Please - Dallas people - don't be offended....just had to give my input
You all in Texas are very friendly people - we will keep some nice memories....it just did not work out for us and we decided to move on....

Old 03-20-2008, 11:21 PM

13 posts, read 48,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDFW View Post
What???

So somehow a 50 degree day in Dallas is different than a 50 degree day in Denver?

Dallas winters aren't as comfortable as people think? Forget 50s, nearly 2/3rds of the days this winter were in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. That's about 2 months out of the 3 months of winter with highs in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I'm from a Denver-like climate, and I wore a coat to work 1 day this winter in Dallas. Should I ask my friend from a Denver suburb how many times he didn't wear a coat this winter? We used to wear the same thing when we lived in the Midwest together. I should add that he's getting sick of the weather there and is trying to talk his wife into a move to Texas.

Jason

Yep, a 50 degree day in Denver is probably going to be more comfortable than the same in Dallas due to a number of things...namely lower humidity, less cloud cover and more intense sunlight due to a higher elevation. I don't know where you've lived, but Denver isn't Chicago, Columbus, or Minneapolis in terms of weather - the climate is completely different, and far more mild. There's no doubt, Dallas winters are overall more mild than Denver winters. But at least we don't get flash flooding, tornadoes all throughout the year. I certainly wouldn't move to Dallas from Denver because of the weather!

Old 03-21-2008, 12:20 AM

69 posts, read 453,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingj View Post
Yep, a 50 degree day in Denver is probably going to be more comfortable than the same in Dallas due to a number of things...namely lower humidity, less cloud cover and more intense sunlight due to a higher elevation. I don't know where you've lived, but Denver isn't Chicago, Columbus, or Minneapolis in terms of weather - the climate is completely different, and far more mild. There's no doubt, Dallas winters are overall more mild than Denver winters. But at least we don't get flash flooding, tornadoes all throughout the year. I certainly wouldn't move to Dallas from Denver because of the weather!
Well, a 50 degree day in Dallas is going to be a colder than normal winter day (even colder than the average coldest day of the year) so there typically is going to be a reason it is colder than normal, like clouds or rain. However, on the equivalently warm days there is no comparison. I'll take a 70° sunny, not a cloud in the sky, low humidity winter day in Dallas over 50 something in Denver. Especially since the 50° Denver day is likely to be warming up from a freeze or hard freeze that morning. Of course, one of those Texas winter days with LOWS in the 60s is unbeatable by any winter day in Denver in my opinion, even as uncommon as they are.

Of course Denver isn't like Minneapolis or Chicago, but all the same I know people who have moved there from those two locations and are now looking to get out. Yeah, winter is improved but it is still a real winter. Denver's desert-like climate makes a better winter than it'd otherwise be, but it only hints at what such a climate is capable of in producing a nice winter. El Paso would be an example of a desert winter climate that produces a little snow but is vastly more tolerable.

Jason

P.S. I've lived in the Dallas area for ~10 years and I've never been inconvenienced by a flash flood or tornado. Perhaps if you live in or very near a flood plain as some do it'd be an issue.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:39 PM

164 posts, read 792,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
Backspace,
I just read your post and had to reply. My family just relocated to the North Texas area about 3 months ago from the Denver metro area. We moved to McKinney & chose a more established neighborhood so we do have quite a few trees, greenery around us. We were able to buy a "bigger" house however I must say that our mortgage is not that much cheaper although we spent $100K less on a house here because the property taxes are so much higher than CO. I am going to be blunt. I really, really miss Denver and at some point want to go back. The cost of living in DFW area really does not turn out to be that much less because now we have to pay for other types of things--Pest Control service (yes, it is true what people say about the bugs in TX), lawn service, taxes, higher homeowner insurance rates....

The weather is definitely a lot nicer and warmer and you can find every restraunt and shop you can imagine but I can't tell you how hard it is to get used the flat terrain. We went today to visit White Rock Lake park and it was very nice, pretty area but the entire time I had a pang in my heart looking for the mountains and wishing I was at Wash Park in Denver. Maybe I am just home sick but if I were in your shoes and you had a choice of where to get established I would go with Denver. Although we are making the best of some great opportunities we have here in TX (the job market seems to be very strong here) I do not see myself ever LOVING this area the way Denver gets into a person's heart. I feel this way and I haven't even been through a summer yet. I've heard the summers are very rough. Also--you mentioned some areas you looked at in Denver that really tend to be kind of known for not being very nice. There are many pretty suburbs of Denver to both the north, south and west. The awesome thing about the Front Range is you can pretty much see the mountains from wherever you are. I don't want to sound negative but wanted to give you the perspective of a person who has been a transplant in both places! After all the years I spent in Denver (college & a few years after) I really consider it to be my "home" despite growing up in Southern CA.
I could not agree with you more. I can't understand the myth of the lower cost of living in Dallas. It is absolutly not true. It is just as expensive if not more than Colorado.

Colorado does get into your heart and soul. There is nothing like the Rocky Mountains. I will always miss Colorado.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:01 PM

28 posts, read 84,565 times
I don't love Dallas but I don't hate it. I'm originally from the Washington State (I grew up in Central WA but have spent most of my adult life in Seattle). I have been to Denver but its been a long time. We've lived in Dallas for 9 months and moved here for my husband's job.

Dallas does not have a very independent progressive spirit or good urban planning. This means a few things to me: there are lots of chain stores, fewer independent shops (there are some no doubt) which means there is less of an identity of the city, if you will. Asian restaurants are awful (okay, I'm biased -- Seattle has great sushi, Thai, etc and it may be unfair to compare them). And it feels very isolating to me. I spend a lot of time alone in my car, people aren't out walking, riding their bikes, etc. Green space and green community space is limited. I think is the result of poor urban planning.

Dallas is a convenient place to live. It is easy to grocery shop and get all your errands done. There are tons of shops (3 Targets within 5 miles of our house) and real estates is very affordable. People are very friendly here.

Despite its good qualities, I can't wait to leave. My husband will finish his job stint in 15 months and we are on our way home, to WA.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:28 PM

47 posts, read 250,158 times
Quote:
Yep, a 50 degree day in Denver is probably going to be more comfortable than the same in Dallas due to a number of things...namely lower humidity, less cloud cover and more intense sunlight due to a higher elevation.
Since when is humidity bad during cold weather? I would think that it mitigates the chilliness, which would therefore result in somewhat milder and more comfortable winter temperatures.

Quote:
But at least we don't get flash flooding, tornadoes all throughout the year. I certainly wouldn't move to Dallas from Denver because of the weather!
I haven't seen a tornado in my entire life here. You may get the occasional watch, and to a lesser extent, warning, but occurences are definitely rare. Flash floods are quite common, but these "floods" merely results in excess water in streets. People aren't drowning in their homes when this happens.

Last edited by blockbuster; 03-21-2008 at 09:39 PM..

Old 03-22-2008, 12:01 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,288,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie View Post
Well...after living 10 years in Dallas..we just could not stand it there anymore! We moved to Colorado 10 months ago. If you love mountains..don't move to Dallas!!! It is flat, flatter and the flattest I have seen! ...... At least the lakes here in the mountains are fresh and clean! And so is the air!

In Dallas it took hours to get somewhere a bit different (like San Antonio..the hill country)...here we are within 30 mins in the mountains.....lots of forests....wildlife...and sometimes bears in your backyard
We love it here!
You all in Texas are very friendly people - we will keep some nice memories....it just did not work out for us and we decided to move on....
No offense taken, hon, you weren't rude or anything. I edited your post somewhat because of a few points I wanted to make. Some might think this is a moot point but we're really not as flat as you might think as say, Kansas. We have a rolling topography and where I live in the area of north Arlington and north Grand Prairie, it is quite nice with the little hills. Now I know they're not quite mountains, though! But I guess it's all relative. To you it really is flat compared to Colorado.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read somewhere that Denver isn't much better as far as air quality is concerned because of its location and the mountains trap the smog and pollution in the city. The mountain air, of course, is clean.

East Texas has the Piney Woods and there are lots of sections of DFW that have lots of nice trees. We also have wildlife. You can see deer and even coyotes and some big cats are spotted. In fact, there's a thread here somewhere where people have posted on the animals they've seen near houses and in parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainPharmD View Post
Colorado does get into your heart and soul. There is nothing like the Rocky Mountains. I will always miss Colorado.
That's good for you and I'm not being sarcastic, I mean it! Because in the same way that CO gets into your heart and soul, Texas gets into mine. That's okay, though, it would be boring if we all liked the same things. We're all different!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huruta View Post
I think is the result of poor urban planning.
I think you're right about the poor urban planning. I attribute it to the massive, uncontrolled growth of the city and some of the suburbs. And I think it happens in lots of other cities around the country. Whenever I visit my brother in Denver, I would love to be able to see what's different as far as shops, restaurants, etc., but it's mostly the same. The same dang chain stores are everywhere all over the nation. Lots of people don't like it, it drives out the local and unique mom and pop places.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:18 PM

65 posts, read 222,953 times
Quote:
This is absolutely true. We lived in Boulder County just north of Denver and one sunny winter day we were out in short sleeves and it felt like it was about 70 degrees, but it was only 42. The high altitude really warms things up. So I would say winters in Denver are actually fairly pleasant except for the days when it's cloudy and snowy. And snow usually doesn't stay on the ground very long. It's not like some places where it can be snow covered all winter.

I actually loved the climate on Colorado's Front Range. Four seasons, and surprisingly temperate.

Dawn

Old 03-30-2008, 08:24 PM

164 posts, read 792,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie View Post
Well...after living 10 years in Dallas..we just could not stand it there anymore! We moved to Colorado 10 months ago. If you love mountains..don't move to Dallas!!! It is flat, flatter and the flattest I have seen! The summers are so hot and humid. For approx. 6-8 months you cannot open the windows because of the heat....you constantly have to be with A/C! Then, we could not even let the kids run around the parks without worrying that they would be bitten by fire ants! The pool was great - but, last year the mosquitoes were just eating us up! We thought it would be so much more expensive here in Colorado with the State taxes..but the property taxes compared to TX are so low...and we end up about the same. Actually we are saving money by not having to use the A/C and pest control...and heating this winter has not been bad at all.
True, there are lots of lakes in the Dallas area...but how clean are they? I would not put my foot in any of them! At least the lakes here in the mountains are fresh and clean! And so is the air!
I have to admit shopping and eating out in Dallas was great - actually probably the best I have ever seen...but then I am not a shopping person. True also, housing...you get much less for your money here.....but instead you get the views - we had a great house in Dallas with movie theatre, pool etc..... we do not have this here..but instead we spend time outside enjoying the outdoors!

We love it here!
You summed it up very nicely!!! I could not agree more!

Old 03-30-2008, 09:15 PM

95 posts, read 164,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW25 View Post
This is absolutely true. We lived in Boulder County just north of Denver and one sunny winter day we were out in short sleeves and it felt like it was about 70 degrees, but it was only 42. The high altitude really warms things up. So I would say winters in Denver are actually fairly pleasant except for the days when it's cloudy and snowy. And snow usually doesn't stay on the ground very long. It's not like some places where it can be snow covered all winter.

I actually loved the climate on Colorado's Front Range. Four seasons, and surprisingly temperate.

Dawn
Well said. A significant downside to the higher altitude is higher incidents of skin cancer unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas