Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 05:45 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,594,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
...the higher humidity levels in DFW means the landscape is more salubrious.
Ace - I love your use of words. You pull out some good ones! Thank goodness for webster.com

Old 07-07-2008, 06:00 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
Dallas - salubrious
Denver - lugubrious

Old 07-07-2008, 06:05 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
The average, however calculated, is 96, not 98, according to the previous post... but so what? The winter temperatures are more critical than the summer temperatures. I appreciate your point about humidity, but then again, the higher humidity levels in DFW means the landscape is more salubrious... and the humidity is not that bad in Dallas.

As I've stated before, the Denver weather is not particularly attractive. If it were 70 degrees year round, then maybe you could brag about it.
Thought this was interesting.
Denver Ties All-Time Record Of 105 Degrees - Denver Weather News Story - KMGH Denver (http://www.thedenverchannel.com/weather/4746329/detail.html - broken link)

I remember being in Colorado enough during the summer and those highs of 96-98 were something they ALWAYS remarked on every night on the news. They would go on and on and on about how HORRIBLE it was and how people were passing out and some deaths. They can not adapt to it at all. While it was hot here in the Dallas area over the 4th of July I and many MANY others were outside the entire day. On Friday at a friends pool party and most people were outside and not inside. Saturday we were at the lake and there was a nice breeze and it was pretty darn enjoyable. The only time I "broke a sweat" was early in the morning unloading the car while standing on the hot asphalt. As is the norm though during that time the humidity levels were higher in the mornings than the afternoons. We can start out in the low 80's and drop down to 50-60% by the afternoon.

Now, while Denver might not be super attractive in the summer the winter months are NOTHING to brag about. There is not much to say for "snow on the ground" IN the city limits of Denver. They get some snow but the majority that "sticks" and stays on the ground day in and day out is up in the mountains. In Denver what you see is melted gray slush and water covering EVERYTHING! It is just plain nasty and gets old after a week. I could not stand living w/ that every year on end. As much as we adapt well to the heat here in the Dallas area it is easy to adapt to the cold there. After skiing I myself really do not "need" a coat unless the temps are SUPER LOW when just running around town or the city. Temps in the low 30's w/ the sun shining are very doable. Just the brown and grey water standing everywhere that make it not so great.

The humidity levels in the Dallas area recently have been pretty low. The other night on the weather the humidity was 28%. I'll take that ANYDAY! Even when the humidity levels are in the 60's & 70's it is not near as humid as many other areas of the country. Look at the humidity levels for somewhere some of you consider "more desireable" because it has less heat:
Seattle
Seattle Relative Humidity - CityRating.com

Old 07-07-2008, 06:30 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Not true.

50 Cleanest (Dirtiest) Cities in America | Your America | Reader's Digest

Denver scored better in cleaner air, water and pretty much everything across the board.
Fair enough, but please, don't try to pass off Denver as the clean air capital of the country...

http://ccc.atmos.colostate.edu/~hail/cool/polution/images/denver_smog2.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-07-2008, 06:49 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

And the Colorado rocky mountain high
I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky

Old 07-07-2008, 07:00 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
rb4browns, that thing in the sky has a name. The Brown Cloud. Only Denver has that entitlement to actually have the smog cloud that hangs over it (mostly in the Fall and thru the Winter) a name. There have been MANY times it has been so bad that ALL people were warned to stay inside and not just those w/ asthma or the elderly but HEALTHY people as well. And that is not just for a day or two but a week at a time. Not a great thing.

Denver and Dallas BOTH have their attributes and their negatives. They are VASTLY different places and nothing alike at all. Well, maybe that they are both home to a fairly decent sized airport hub but that would be the ONLY thing they have in common besides them both starting w/ the letter "D". I've probably got more personal firsthand experience w/ Denver than most of the Dallas haters have w/ Dallas. I can find lots to like and not like about Denver but I would not call it a "hellhole" or a "toilet" just because I personally would not want to live there. What has been offered up from the Dallas naysayers is FAR from being considered "constructive critiscism". I can call any city, town, state, county in the world a "hellhole" or a "toilet" to "s... on" but that does not give one ounce of validity to my PERSONAL opinion. Constructive critiscism is more along the lines of "how can we work together to change or improve _________".

Old 07-07-2008, 07:04 PM

70 posts, read 162,085 times

Just a typical day in Dallas, Texas...

Old 07-07-2008, 07:14 PM

Some interesting reading about the Dallas smog problem...

Google Image Result for http://startelegram.typepad.com/planet_dfw/images/2008/03/13/smog_maps_2.jpg

Old 07-07-2008, 07:25 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassbox View Post

Just a typical day in Dallas, Texas...
GLassbox, I commend you on the toned down attacks on our fair city, even if you very likely were "encouraged" to do so by the mod. Nevertheless, this is not a typical day, but befitting of the 4th largest metro area in the country the air here does get nasty frequently. Of course, coming from L.A. it is a big improvement for me. Those afflicted by ailments that can be brought on by exposure to big city air should be advised that Dallas (or any metro area of 6 million people) is probably not the best place for you to be.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
GLassbox, I commend you on the toned down attacks on our fair city, even if you very likely were "encouraged" to do so by the mod. Nevertheless, this is not a typical day, but befitting of the 4th largest metro area in the country the air here does get nasty frequently. Of course, coming from L.A. it is a big improvement for me. Those afflicted by ailments that can be brought on by exposure to big city air should be advised that Dallas (or any metro area of 6 million people) is probably not the best place for you to be.
The mod encouraged or discouraged nothing. I just decided to let photos of Dallas speak for themselves (you gave me the idea with your Denver photo, thanx rb). I've got a lot more photos that show the REAL Dallas. I think I will be able to get the message across without using all the theatrics but personally, I think most of you would have enjoyed my entertaining descriptions of Dallas more than the photos I've got lined up.

BTW, usernames and moderators come and go but don't fool yourselves, you can't stop people from expressing their opinions on the internet if they really want to.

I don't have any problem with metros with 6 million or more, but DFW is just horrible. It's midnight right now and its about 95 degrees. Perfectly awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas