Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 02:28 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,068,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooter View Post
I find it very strange when people knock a city because of its [supposedly bad] weather, especially when millions of people have chosen to live there. In the case of Dallas Metro, I think there are 5+ million people. If the summer heat was so intolerable, my guess is that there would only be a tiny fraction of that number. To my knowledge no one is being forced to live in a particular area of the country, and they are free to leave if they want.

As for Dallas being [too] hot in the summer, there are a multitude of cities that are plenty hot in the summer - cities that are in the south, cities that are in the north...and east and west. I've been in Miami, Phoenix, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Washington DC, Chicago, New York, Charleston, Philadelphia, Death Valley, etc. in the summer...and they are all hot. But millions of people have chosen to live there....well, except for Death Valley!
Good point...

If Dallas is so bad, how come it has 6 milliom people willing to live there. Lots of other sunbelt cities hava lots of jobs and economic opportunity.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:34 PM

869 posts, read 2,954,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Good point...

If Dallas is so bad, how come it has 6 milliom people willing to live there. Lots of other sunbelt cities hava lots of jobs and economic opportunity.
Glassbox has already explained this one to us, we are all ignorant red-necks...

DUH!!!

Old 07-08-2008, 02:51 PM

670 posts, read 2,999,027 times
As far as weather one reason my husband wanted to move to Georgia (09/06 to 10/07 as we got back here as soon as possible) was the weather. Well due to the fires it was smoggy/fire (i.e., things were canceled because of not being able to BREATH in the summer, as well as flights around the Columbus area due to the smoke) and he said "it'd be cooler" despite my explaining over and over it is NOT cooler with the heat index, yes it is 5 degrees COOLER supposedly but once you factor in the humidity--it wasn't cooler at all.

Personally I find drier heat not to be as "hot" but to HIM and obviously millions of other transplants like us it is NOT hotter here than where they came from or unbearable or even humid. Coming from a drier climate obviously it is more humid.

I think it's more than jobs. I know when he left and did his exit interview in Columbus they told him they weren't surprised, they had no problems getting people to MOVE there for work--it was retaining them even an 18% increase in pay didn't work for us and that was pretty substantial.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:59 PM

370 posts, read 862,987 times
i never like the reason the because alot of people like it, it must be right or the best. It's the same argument people use when they try to convince me that soccer is the best sport ever because it's the most watched around the world.

People generally choose where they live based on some personal matrix of affordability and desirability and Dallas is no exception.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:27 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
Quote:
Good point...

Correction:

Dallas has a population of 1.3 million
Dallas, Ft. Worth, Arlington, and all the other cities combined (The metroplex)has a population of 6 million +.

I hate it when Dallasites try to put up their whole metro up against another city like Dallas is the only city in the metropolex. Dallas only makes up about 25% of the metroplex

Last edited by stoneclaw; 07-08-2008 at 04:37 PM..

Old 07-08-2008, 03:37 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,329,338 times
Quote:
Nope, according to the weather Channel, the Dallas temp at 9:20 is 82 degrees. Visibility is 10 miles. Not particularly smoggy. If there were any haze, the wind, South-Southwest at 12 MPH, would blow it off.
Yeah, it's a pretty miserable day in Big D...

That's about 10 miles to DT in the bottom right, so I think Weather Channel is right on the money.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:45 PM

26 posts, read 81,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Correction:

Dallas has a population of 1.3 million
Dallas, Ft. Worth, Arlington, and all the other cities (The metroplex)has a population of 6 million +.

I hate it when Dallasites try to put up their whole metro up against another city like Dallas is the only city in the metropolex. Dallas only makes up about 25% of the metroplex
Dallas doesn't even have the right to call itself the largest city in Texas. It's third. Behind San Antonio and you guessed it, big sister Houston.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:54 PM

686 posts, read 2,436,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik1977 View Post
Dallas doesn't even have the right to call itself the largest city in Texas. It's third. Behind San Antonio and you guessed it, big sister Houston.
I think most people here realize that fact. Nobody has said otherwise.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Quote:
Good point...

Actually I think it's 6.5 million in the last estimate.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:32 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik1977 View Post
Dallas doesn't call itself the biggest city in Texas. It is the largest component of the biggest MSA in Texas and part of the 4th largest MSA in the US. The reason that Houston is the biggest city in Texas and the 4th largest in the nation is because that city has annexed so much land over the years. Houston contains over 600 square miles. Dallas contains under 400 square miles. The population density of each city is very similar (about 3600-3700 peeps per/sq.mile, I believe). Compared to big cities in the northeast, Dallas and Houston have a pretty low population density and all of this talk just sounds like the silly ramblings of a bunch of insecure size queens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas