Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 05:28 PM

5,829 posts, read 4,169,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Well, you clearly hated it here and you now live in Chicago so you might not be the best person to give advice.

I know a guy who lived at the Shops and maybe filled up his car 1X per month. I think for a brief time he didn't even have a car and just relied on uber and his bike before he bought another car. If you work & live there as he did, you really only use the cat for groceries, Target runs, and going much further afar, like into Dallas for an event.
Why the hate? This forum is for information purposes, not just positive opinions. DFW is a terrible city to live in without driving. Sure, it can possibly be done, but it would be pretty difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 06:16 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Why the hate? This forum is for information purposes, not just positive opinions. DFW is a terrible city to live in without driving. Sure, it can possibly be done, but it would be pretty difficult.
While I completely agree that Dallas is a city where one needs a car, it IS possible for someone to live without driving very much if their work and living arrangements align perfectly within a walkable area (even an intentionally developed urban village like the Shops). Like the guy I know who lived at Shops and worked within walking distance (or a short bike in extreme hot/cold conditions), he was maybe driving 200 miles a month. That's about as good as you can get here.

I did not see the word "carless" in the OP but several posters including our former Arlington resident poster have used the word to talk about OP's friend's ideals.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:54 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,173,706 times
Quote:
Plano is really big and not everyone works on Legacy. If OP works along the 75 corridor, I would not recommend living at the Shops to someone who dislikes driving.
Yeah. If he works on east side then no need to drive to Legacy, old downtown of Plano would be a better option, lots of good things happening there and he'll have DART so he can ditch his car for a bike if he wants to.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:43 PM

113 posts, read 113,618 times
I might be butting in here but this seems like good advised. I know that Dallas is spread out but the areas that everyone is talking about wouldn't be bad for a walk or bike right. I live in middle of the city I live in and plan to move around the area OP is talking about come August or September. I don't have a car right now but I'm also not far from work. If I can find a job and apartment close enough to each other than I'm fine.

Also it depends on the person who is walking or riding a bike. I don't mind going 5 or 10 miles to get to work, I get to exercise and get outdoors allot. For a techie that's kinda a must for us :P

Old 04-20-2017, 07:37 AM

198 posts, read 186,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
A friend of mine just moved from Cityline over to Galytyn last month. The safety at Cityline is an issue. there were three break-ins in one week. And that had gotten far too common for her so she checked with the city on both complexes and decided to move.

Personally I think that area having so much Construction is contributing to the problem. It's very easy to blend in if you were there for no good. Lots of non-residents in and out all day long
Good info.. I assumed both places were equally safe and didn't even think to check. Can't rep u again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Pretty good assessment. Also, Cityline still has the shrinkwrap on in places so it will continue to evolve in the next 5 years. At the moment, it's a bit of an island.
Regarding Legacy, the shiny and new Frisco Star live/work/play development is just a 10 min drive to the north.
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...dozen-new.html
Didn't even know about this.. will check it out, but might just be a tad beyond a comfortable driving distance... the guy will be at Plano Pkwy and Custer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Yeah. If he works on east side then no need to drive to Legacy, old downtown of Plano would be a better option, lots of good things happening there and he'll have DART so he can ditch his car for a bike if he wants to.
Another good option I didn't think of... probably the closest to where he wants to be ...

Old 04-20-2017, 08:16 AM

5,829 posts, read 4,169,655 times
Quote:
While I completely agree that Dallas is a city where one needs a car, it IS possible for someone to live without driving very much if their work and living arrangements align perfectly within a walkable area (even an intentionally developed urban village like the Shops). Like the guy I know who lived at Shops and worked within walking distance (or a short bike in extreme hot/cold conditions), he was maybe driving 200 miles a month. That's about as good as you can get here.

I did not see the word "carless" in the OP but several posters including our former Arlington resident poster have used the word to talk about OP's friend's ideals.
I'm just saying that the other poster simply said something most people here would agree with: opportunity for a low-car lifestyle is not one of DFW's strengths. For some reason, you bit his or her head off and dismissed that opinion because that poster no longer lives here.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:32 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
Quote:
Like others have been saying, you'll need a car unless you want to eat only at the restaurants and buy all of your groceries at Whole Foods
No. This is incorrect. You can take the train or a bike (it's like 2 miles at the most) up to next trainstop just north at downtown Plano, or the next to Parker Road, and have 3 different grocery stores (Tom Thumb, HMart, or a few different Mexican markets). You can also take the train from CityLine to the Shops at Park Lane (like 15 minutes of travel) to shop for whatever mid-market things you can't buy around CityLine (but probably will in 10 years) or cross the street to the Galleria.

No car required.

Lots of DFW is tough without a car, but this area is not Arlington.

BTW, the nearby Whole Foods is an 'urban' Whole Foods -it's barely a grocery store. It has way more space devoted to prepared foods than to cooking.

I'm not sure I'd choose to live in CityLine yet as the whole area is still a construction zone, but it is coming along and is moderately walkable.

Last edited by TheOverdog; 04-20-2017 at 08:41 AM..

Old 04-20-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpushiys View Post
Good info.. I assumed both places were equally safe and didn't even think to check. Can't rep u again..

Didn't even know about this.. will check it out, but might just be a tad beyond a comfortable driving distance... the guy will be at Plano Pkwy and Custer

Another good option I didn't think of... probably the closest to where he wants to be ...

For Plano Pkwy & Custer, go for Plano's old downtown. They have everything you need from grocery to dinning and theater to concerts. It's more affordable as well. If you are flexible then check bus schedule, you may find one going towards your work.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:28 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
Quote:
For Plano Pkwy & Custer, go for Plano's old downtown. They have everything you need from grocery to dinning and theater to concerts. It's more affordable as well. If you are flexible then check bus schedule, you may find one going towards your work.
Or look into the brand new Heritage Creekside on GBush Turnpike & Plano Parkway, still mostly under construction. That area is unfortunately not the best in Plano, with failing Collin Creek Mall, poorly planned office, and not much else around (2 sides of the Plano Parkway & Custer intersection are empty lots), but hopefully a few years into the future it will be a more complete place to live.

It's crazy how sad that area is actually when once of the nicest neighborhoods in DFW is practically right across the GBush freeway in Richardson.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Or look into the brand new Heritage Creekside on GBush Turnpike & Plano Parkway, still mostly under construction. That area is unfortunately not the best in Plano, with failing Collin Creek Mall, poorly planned office, and not much else around (2 sides of the Plano Parkway & Custer intersection are empty lots), but hopefully a few years into the future it will be a more complete place to live.

It's crazy how sad that area is actually when once of the nicest neighborhoods in DFW is practically right across the GBush freeway in Richardson.
City tried developing it but different stores in CC mall are owned by different companies and not all are on the same page. City is trying to get a developer who can get everyone on board once leases of current tenants end. City wants to utilize that creek and build trails and multipurpose buildings around it to make it beautiful and useful. It is going to be a downtown for central Plano. Both East and West have their own so central deserves one as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas