Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 08:50 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,378,478 times

Advertisements

I have accepted a job in the Dallas / Fort Worth area. DC is probably my preference city for relocating, but the cost of living has always made me wary of relocating there. Other than that, I have also considered Houston, Atlanta and Orlando as my primary cities I considered relocating to. Since I've accepted the position I've read/heard a lot of very negative things about Dallas as far as the social environment for for black professionals particularly single ones, that have me having second thoughts. I'm interested in the opinions of any other black professionals on this forum that have relocated from other cities whether larger or smaller cities.

The city I live in now is a small family oriented city with little to offer a single professional but I'm compensated for that by spending a large number of weekends traveling to Atlanta, Nashville and other nearby cities. Surely there's more to offer than the city I'm currently in, but I'm just trying to make sure I'm moving to a city that will actually provide a far better social and entertainment scene for me and doesn't require me to travel every other weekend to enjoy life. Is it really as bad there as I'm seeing described online? I know it's not going to be quite up to par with Atlanta and DC or any of the more densely concentrated cities with large populations in the Midwest or Northeast but surely Dallas still has a lot to offer for black professionals right? Any honest opinions or personal experiences will be appreciated.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconndoit View Post
D.C. and Atlanta are #1 and #2 for sure. But Dallas is not a bad option either. What city are you moving from? I don't think there's many options that cater to a mostly black population here in Dallas, but pretty much anywhere you go, there will be other black professionals like you. You'll never feel like the odd one out.
I'm in Huntsville, Alabama right now but I'm making this move primarily to move to a city that is much more conducive for a single black professional with more entertainment and social options. This isn't really a career oriented or cost of living reduction move as there are already plenty of jobs in my field where I am and an even lower cost of living than Dallas.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:12 AM

487 posts, read 461,999 times
Corporate America in Texas is about intergrating. This really is a melting pot of people from everywhere on the planet. Check National Professional Associations to see if they have Dallas based groups as they may have dinner meetings or speakers. Welcome to Texas!

Old 04-26-2017, 10:22 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,158,035 times
What city is the job in? DFW is huge.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:34 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,393,414 times
Coming from St Louis and Tampa, I see a lot more closeted racism here. People are polite but it's fake. Houston is worse.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:13 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,158,035 times
I've seen this statement posted on threads similar to this, but generally speaking, Dallas is more classist than racist.

If you can "fit in" in terms of your salary, car you drive, house you own/rent, etc., you'll do just fine. Southern Dallas County has the highest population of black people in DFW, but there is a decent number in the northern burbs, though they tend to already be married (in my experience). My daughter has several black classmates at her daycare and the majority of them moved here from Atlanta for work opportunities in the Frisco/Plano area.

ETA: Most "single young professionals" are geared towards Uptown on this board. There are other options, though, depending on where you work and your preferences.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
What city is the job in? DFW is huge.
It's near Arlington/Grand Prairie...

Old 04-26-2017, 12:19 PM

385 posts, read 486,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
It's near Arlington/Grand Prairie...
That area is extremely diverse, but it's family central. On paper, the city of Dallas is very diverse. Most of the places that you'll want to be as a young (?) professional such as Uptown and Deep Ellum are not very diverse in the sense that large clusters of black people, Asians, or Hispanics don't frequently congregate in those areas. Go out in Uptown on a Saturday night and the crowd will be 90% white. The same can be said for Lower Greenville and Deep Elum. You'll see a few black people sprinkled in but these areas are typically lily-white.

With that said, most people don't seem to care what color you are regardless of the area. I am the only black person in my neighborhood in the M Streets and while this is less than ideal, I have not had any issues with my neighbors from a racial standpoint. A few people may stare, but like others have said--Dallas is more classist than racist.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:43 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,100,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
That area is extremely diverse, but it's family central. On paper, the city of Dallas is very diverse. Most of the places that you'll want to be as a young (?) professional such as Uptown and Deep Ellum are not very diverse in the sense that large clusters of black people, Asians, or Hispanics don't frequently congregate in those areas. Go out in Uptown on a Saturday night and the crowd will be 90% white. The same can be said for Lower Greenville and Deep Elum. You'll see a few black people sprinkled in but these areas are typically lily-white.

With that said, most people don't seem to care what color you are regardless of the area. I am the only black person in my neighborhood in the M Streets and while this is less than ideal, I have not had any issues with my neighbors from a racial standpoint. A few people may stare, but like others have said--Dallas is more classist than racist.
Uptown and Deep Ellum are becoming more racially diverse though, especially Deep Ellum. I agree with you on Lower Greenville though.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:08 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,398,006 times
Dallas is whatever you make it out to be. It has everything you need to succeed and be happy. The problem people have with Dallas is the fact that they get here and want it to be like every other city and thats just not happening. People are moving here in droves....all races. So its all about what you carve Dallas out to be. Leave the expectations out and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas