Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 10:05 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of us in the northern suburbs are going to be pleasantly surprised by how little, if any, increase has been assessed. I think they are afraid of a greater percentage of homeowners protesting. We all know how much prices have increased in reality, and so does the tax assessor's office, but I bet they are wary of pricing too many people too high and having us all complain and protest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 10:43 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I think a lot of us in the northern suburbs are going to be pleasantly surprised by how little, if any, increase has been assessed. I think they are afraid of a greater percentage of homeowners protesting. We all know how much prices have increased in reality, and so does the tax assessor's office, but I bet they are wary of pricing too many people too high and having us all complain and protest.
I've honestly been very surprised at the small amount of people in my neighborhood that even bother protesting. We've been in our house 7.5 years and I know for a fact that the people on either side of us have never protested, despite their values going up anywhere from 5-10% every year. I feel like everyone complains about it, but no one bothers to actually protest or follow through with providing evidence.

Whenever I've protested in the past either online or in person, the CAD's offer has always ended in "000", so $450,000 as an example when it was $462,711. Using that numbering format, I searched all 2016 values and there were only 18 (mine included) out of 188 houses in my phase in my neighborhood. So less than 10% of people protested and were offered a settlement. I was told once that they will typically offer you something for just protesting, even if you don't have much backing up your claims.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:55 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggielina View Post
Far North Dallas - no change. I'm shocked! Since it's valued just a little bit over what we paid for it three years ago, I'm going to keep quiet. Nothing to look at here...
We are in North Dallas with no change this year - after a 10% increase last year! I spotted checked around our neighborhood and Preston Hollow and looks like 2017 values are flat unless the house was renovated this year.

UP values looked to be flat to 2016, too.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:58 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
Mine went up 25%. DCAD. Homestead -> capped at 10%.

I'm wondering if it makes sense to protest? I plan on building an addition this year so the 10% cap won't apply next year and it will be appraised "from scratch" next year.

I don't think I can get it down below the capped value so with the new addition coming, would it even make sense to try to protest this year?
No idea; I wish I could help but this isn't my area of expertise. I'm sure other posters will chime in though.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:05 AM

459 posts, read 1,744,533 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm in (barely) West Plano and they only gave us a 5% increase. We had a 17% increase the year before. As of today, our valuation is 15% higher than what we bought our house for. I'll take that.. not bad at all if they think our house only has increased in value 15% in the past 3 years, especially when the city has come to inspect some of our improvements.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:09 AM

8,146 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Quote:
Well, my went up about 12% last year (after electronic protest) and is up about 7% this year. So I'm going to do the online for sure, this time probably based on unequal appraisal or whatever they call it. I personally don't think it can sell for what they claim, but that's a different story.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:16 AM

140 posts, read 178,738 times
Quote:
up 10% in Frisco again *sigh*

max increase and not pleasantly surprised

Old 05-01-2017, 11:42 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,135 times
I looked up my childhood home in Prosper. The appraised value has increased 58% since 2014. How is that even realistic? And this is a small 3/2 home built in the mid-1980s with no updates. Even though it is on 1.5 acres, it has power lines running through part of it that render the land useless as you can't build anything underneath it.

And I thought my house going up 45% since 2010 was insane.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:07 PM

712 posts, read 841,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
Yes, I'm in (barely) West Plano and they only gave us a 5% increase. We had a 17% increase the year before. As of today, our valuation is 15% higher than what we bought our house for. I'll take that.. not bad at all if they think our house only has increased in value 15% in the past 3 years, especially when the city has come to inspect some of our improvements.
It's ALWAYS worth it to file to protest;
tip - every house 'depreciates' year after year (look at your appraisal when you bought (used) home.
Is your AC unit, dishwasher, range/oven, waterheater, roof, flooring, siding, brick, driveway, sidewalks... NEW ? if not, why pay taxes as though it was. Take pics of EVERY little blemish, print 2 copies in color, and haul a stack of papers in there - also print out copies of any nearby comparative properties that are valued lower- go in there with a huge stack of papers, speak real slow and deliberate going over every detail, and they'll BEG you to accept a lower appraisal just to get you out of there . . . !!!!

IF you do NOTHING (this year), it will STICK ( with almost NO chance to drop it next year to the new value), and NEXT year they'll hit you AGAIN, and again, and again, always going up up up.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:38 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,765 times
Moderator Note: Since this is an area wide topic, the thread has been renamed.

Property Search Links
Collin County
Dallas County
Denton County
Ellis County
Kaufman County
Rockwall County
Tarrant County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas