Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 02:37 PM

430 posts, read 290,834 times

Advertisements

You can say the same thing in regards to housing for half of the country. Housing prices are going up in more states than just Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 05:08 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Didn't think so.
Why let you waste my time arguing semantics, like everybody else on this forum routinely lets you do?

Old 05-08-2017, 08:18 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Housing is the WORST!!! Definitely the worst part of the growth in DFW, with traffic coming in second. The laughably poor housing situation alone is actually starting to run people AWAY from DFW. It's just that right now, DFW is still growing much faster than people are leaving. For now...
I don't really see it that way. Housing seems to be handled fairly well. Supply hasn't quite kept up with demand, but that seems to be more a factor of labor shortages and private investment than any limitations placed by local or regional authorities. If anything, the amount of Multi-Family being built in DFW is kind of crazy.

Traffic OTOH, what a cluster. Easily the worst part about living here IMO.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:00 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
All in all Texas is handling it well. The infrastructure in most places was ready. Not Austin however. DFW and Houston were much better off, and many of the roads were overbuilt. Housing prices are getting dumb but that's the entire southern half of the country and virtually all of the west. (Desirable places will always do that) if we don't like it we can move to Montana (sorry I had to pick a state). But developers need to make sure there is a mix of All homes and apartments not just the luxury type my biggest gripe with modern society.

As for the future I know water plans are underway. And more people have got to change their mind set of mass transit especially long time residents. DART for instance is a fantastic system and is growing but more people need to utilize it as it builds out. Houstons has some mass transit but it's pitiful for a metro area that size and Austin needs more help than anyplace because it really has grown too big too fast and no aspect of their transit system or roads has kept up. and the housing prices there are the most ridiculous of all.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:56 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebird View Post
With over 140k population increase in the last two years, how do you feel the Metroplex is handling
the tremendous growth? How is DFW doing in regards to housing, traffic, infrastructure, employment and amenities? With population projections to be about 9.5 million by 2030, what are your thoughts?
I don't get the housing question. I expect little of my government in housing other than to stay out of the way. Cities like Plano are out of single family zoned land essentially and some forces oppose apartment projects. I suppose the city of Plano can slow down apartment adds through zoning.

Dallas could help out handing the growth by promoting growth to the south as they seem to be doing now with the new golf course for SMU and for the PGA tournament use but this is a small effort compared to the size of the job. Growth to the south would put some housing closer to DT jobs and help DT grow up some. It also might relieve the northern major highways where some do not have a lot of land to allow them to growth easier and cheaper..the former version of I35E is an example of how not to do things.

But beyond these steps I see little the cities can do about housing.

Growth is messy, no man made plan can avoid it. But if you have lived in a stagnant area or a shrinking one you might appreciate the challenges growth brings.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:08 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Growth is messy, no man made plan can avoid it. But if you have lived in a stagnant area or a shrinking one you might appreciate the challenges growth brings.
Exactly.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:14 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,593 times
A somewhat related article talking about how Plano has attempted to prepare for the Toyota traffic. FYI, they will start moving employees in next week at about 250 people/week.

I drive southbound on Legacy from NW Frisco. Can't wait.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ime=1494328446

Old 05-10-2017, 08:40 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Why let you waste my time arguing semantics, like everybody else on this forum routinely lets you do?
No semantics to it. DFW was #1 in net population growth last year according to The US Census Bureau accounting for births, deaths and the move aways you are so worried about. Similar numbers appear likely to continue for years.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:10 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebird View Post
With over 140k population increase in the last two years, how do you feel the Metroplex is handling
the tremendous growth? How is DFW doing in regards to housing, traffic, infrastructure, employment and amenities? With population projections to be about 9.5 million by 2030, what are your thoughts?
I think we're doing "ok", better in some areas than others:

Housing - #1 concern is that not enough new homes are being built. The current pace is about 30,000 new homes per year vs 50,000 in the years leading up to the recession. This is greatly impacting demand as well as prices; builders can charge more for scarcity. Since Texas' construction industry greatly relies on Mexican immigrant labor, it is hurting us that 50% of the labor force did not return to Texas after the recession. Additionally, the current administration in Washington as well as in Austin are not immigrant friendly and I suspect that will impact the housing starts even further here in DFW.

Traffic / Infrastructure - #2 concern is two-fold. One, many highways need widening to accommodate new traffic counts and the construction is just not happening fast enough. Major backups where two highways connect is a major traffic flow issue. Two, most of the northern suburbs are reached exclusively by expensive tollroads.

Employment - great! Unemployment rate is low even with the weak oil & gas industry. A diverse variety of companies are choosing to relocate here or open major offices/operations, here. Toyota, Amazon, State Farm, Chase, Facebook, AT&T, a slew of smaller tech companies, Boeing (a small office but seems like the catalyst to an eventual corporate relo), etc. Ideally, job growth would be more spread out across the metroplex but oh well.

Amenities - great! You can debate all day long the QOL in Dallas (no beaches, no mountains, etc) but as far as things to do, you'll never run out. New restaurants open daily, any kind of shopping you can imagine from priceless jewels at Harry Winston in Highland Park to specialty Asian grocers in Plano and Irving. Pro sports, minor league sports, and a gazillion athletic opportunities for kids. Museums, concerts, festivals, farmers markets.

You didn't ask about natural resources but that is up there on my mind with traffic & housing. I think water will become a major issue in the coming decades, not dissimilar to California.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:22 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

Housing - #1 concern is that not enough new homes are being built. The current pace is about 30,000 new homes per year vs 50,000 in the years leading up to the recession. This is greatly impacting demand as well as prices; builders can charge more for scarcity. Since Texas' construction industry greatly relies on Mexican immigrant labor, it is hurting us that 50% of the labor force did not return to Texas after the recession. Additionally, the current administration in Washington as well as in Austin are not immigrant friendly and I suspect that will impact the housing starts even further here in DFW.
The current administration is not anti-immigration. They are anti-illegal immigration, which in reality is not immigration at all, but economic migration. Trump has said many times, you can come here, but do so legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas