Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 02:26 PM

42 posts, read 141,988 times

Advertisements

I live in Flower Mound. It is incredibly conservative to the point of being irritating, for me. I am conservative. But I do not identify as Republican. I would like to live in a place with good schools, basically conservative, but not THIS big business oriented. I feel like the people do not matter here, just the businesses. I think I would like Coppell, but, they have no orchestra in their schools which is important to us. I am worried that moving over to Plano or Allen would just be worse than what we have going on now. Moving west is not a possibility due to job location. I am not exactly looking for liberal, I am just looking for less big business, more people oriented, and environmentally friendly.

Last edited by LMKH; 05-17-2017 at 02:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 02:41 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
The whole state of Texas is incredibly big-business oriented, with DFW leading the charge. Even the Democrat mayor of Dallas is incredibly big business oriented. Businesses like Toyota aren't relocating here for kicks; they're getting HUGE tax breaks. Huge swaths of the metroplex are able to be drilled for natural gas. I don't think you're going to see ANY measurable difference in Flower Mound vs Allen / Frisco / Plano. Maybe Coppell only because there's not as much land zoned for commercial there vs other suburbs?

If you want to be in a more liberal area, pull the 2016 presidential election results and see which areas voted for Clinton. "Environmentally friendly" and "small business oriented" really only point to a few select expensive parts of Dallas proper; for example Kessler Park / North Oak Cliff and Lakewood / Old East Dallas. Or areas of the metroplex with less growth & commercial...but then, do you really want to live in one of the low/no growth areas? They tend to require major compromise in school quality and/or safety.

Out of curiosity, where else (outside DFW/ TX) have you lived that embodies what you are seeking?

Old 05-17-2017, 02:51 PM

42 posts, read 141,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The whole state of Texas is incredibly big-business oriented, with DFW leading the charge. Even the Democrat mayor of Dallas is incredibly big business oriented. Businesses like Toyota aren't relocating here for kicks; they're getting HUGE tax breaks. Huge swaths of the metroplex are able to be drilled for natural gas. I don't think you're going to see ANY measurable difference in Flower Mound vs Allen / Frisco / Plano. Maybe Coppell only because there's not as much land zoned for commercial there vs other suburbs?

If you want to be in a more liberal area, pull the 2016 presidential election results and see which areas voted for Clinton. "Environmentally friendly" and "small business oriented" really only point to a few select expensive parts of Dallas proper; for example Kessler Park / North Oak Cliff and Lakewood / Old East Dallas. Or areas of the metroplex with less growth & commercial...but then, do you really want to live in one of the low/no growth areas? They tend to require major compromise in school quality and/or safety.

Out of curiosity, where else (outside DFW/ TX) have you lived that embodies what you are seeking?
North of Los Angeles area. LOVED it!!! Up near Thousand Oaks. I did not like Orange County, which was prissy and uptight. I like laid back, free thinking, independent, while having children who know how to wear clothes that cover their bodies, speak with proper grammar, and use manners. I do not know what Ventura county is like now, but, that is an idea as to where I liked years ago.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:57 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
I think you can find what you're seeking in Plano, as they have large areas where certain ethnic groups have moved en masse, and they typically don't care about politics as much as whites seem to. There are certain neighborhoods with large numbers of asians, certain neighborhoods with a concentration of indians, etc. North of Deerfield comes to mind.

I also think McKinney could fit the bill for the same reasons, it's got enclaves that are very diverse, and McKinney residents are very proud of their downtown area and "Mom and Pop" shop vibe. Definitely not all about big business.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:56 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,558,671 times
Quote:
Maybe Coppell only because there's not as much land zoned for commercial there vs other suburbs?
Near a 1/3 of the City of Coppell is zoned commercial and home to (very nice) warehouses for companies like Amazon. It's no different here than any other suburb.

What you want doesn't exist in DFW.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:32 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Sounds like Flower Mound would be great for us. The more conservative the better.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:07 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
I read recently that 60 percent of Flower Mound residents were non-Texas natives. On a national scale, high incomes, high educational attainment, but real estate prices are low compared to other towns nationwide of similar demographics. It makes sense that there would be pro-business fiscal conservatives relocating to Texas looking for the most bang for their buck. It sounds like the OP might be better off in a place with a little more character like Richardson, Coppell, Grapevine or even (central) Plano.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:20 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMKH View Post
North of Los Angeles area. LOVED it!!! Up near Thousand Oaks. I did not like Orange County, which was prissy and uptight. I like laid back, free thinking, independent, while having children who know how to wear clothes that cover their bodies, speak with proper grammar, and use manners. I do not know what Ventura county is like now, but, that is an idea as to where I liked years ago.
Yep, it's still like that. I live in Woodland Hills and enjoy going out in Thousand Oaks and Simi (BEST movie theater up there). There isn't really a place in DFW comparable because so much of Ventura Co. is protected natural areas. You don't have the huge hills in DFW or the mega celebrities (Calabassas environs) and high wealth people.

That's not a knock on DFW. I'm debating moving there myself in a year or two. I like the North Dallas suburbs. Honestly. I think what you're looking for ideologically is all over the area out there, it's more about the people with whom you connect. I know lots of "family-friendly" people who aren't crazy hateful evangelicals and also recycle. I'd advise finding a different social circle. It's not like LA where you're limited to your bubble due to soul-crushing traffic.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:02 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Yep, it's still like that. I live in Woodland Hills and enjoy going out in Thousand Oaks and Simi (BEST movie theater up there). There isn't really a place in DFW comparable because so much of Ventura Co. is protected natural areas. You don't have the huge hills in DFW or the mega celebrities (Calabassas environs) and high wealth people.

That's not a knock on DFW. I'm debating moving there myself in a year or two. I like the North Dallas suburbs. Honestly. I think what you're looking for ideologically is all over the area out there, it's more about the people with whom you connect. I know lots of "family-friendly" people who aren't crazy hateful evangelicals and also recycle. I'd advise finding a different social circle. It's not like LA where you're limited to your bubble due to soul-crushing traffic.
Nice stereotyping.

Most evangelicals (by which you mean Christians) are not "hateful".

Old 05-17-2017, 10:08 PM

92 posts, read 117,119 times
Now I know why this bumper sticker exists.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas