Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2017, 10:39 AM

964 posts, read 877,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
[I am simply amazed that HP doesn't market their schools more. Maybe the people have bigger and better things to care about.]

Established towns with excellent schools have no need for marketing to attract buyers. It's newer suburbs with lots of land and new construction to sell who does that and get sponsored by beneficiaries like builders/developers/businesses etc.

HP or Plano or Coppell schools have an excellent reputation, they are doing fine without any gimmicks. You won't see Southlake or Frisco or McKinney doing marketing stunts once they are built out.
Thanks for the laugh. Those gimmicks raise about $300-$400K per year that goes directly to the school . I guarantee if you called up HP, Plano, Frisco, Mckinney or any other school and offered them $350K per year not one would say "No thanks we don't need the money." The money made from the "gimmicks" have funded multiple programs that would not exist if not for that marketing. Yet another reason why these other school systems simply aren't Carroll.

Those gimmicks allow the district to spend more per student without raising the property tax rate.

Amazed at how simpleton like your thinking is.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:45 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,396 times
I'm betting HP could raise 350k at the snap of a finger.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:46 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,161 times
It's pretty easy to see the fundraising in schools, check out the PTA form 990s. It is not uncommon in HPISD for an elementary school to raise over $1 million per year.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:49 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Thanks for the laugh. Those gimmicks raise about $300-$400K per year that goes directly to the school . I guarantee if you called up HP, Plano, Frisco, Mckinney or any other school and offered them $350K per year not one would say "No thanks we don't need the money." The money made from the "gimmicks" have funded multiple programs that would not exist if not for that marketing. Yet another reason why these other school systems simply aren't Carroll.

Those gimmicks allow the district to spend more per student without raising the property tax rate.
The parents in HPISD raise over $2.5M each year to supplement teacher salaries and many other things the schools want/need. No gimmicks, just an annualfundraising campaign. No knock on Carroll ISD but they aren't the only district raising additional funds.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
It's pretty easy to see the fundraising in schools, check out the PTA form 990s. It is not uncommon in HPISD for an elementary school to raise over $1 million per year.
As does Carroll, but marketing adds even more. Not even talking about the fundraising. Any district marketing their school and giving that money back to the school is not a bad thing

Old 05-19-2017, 10:52 AM

96 posts, read 150,891 times
Quote:
This is exactly correct- no other school district could come close to this.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:53 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
While we certainly have a lot of Dragon Pride I will never let my kids play football. The Dragon Pride is not about football only though. It is about band, cheerleading, Odyssey of the Mind, the robotics program, etc. They were also smarter than every other system IMO by making sure that every single Elementary and Middle school also had the Dragons as mascots. Brilliant marketing. I am simply amazed that HP doesn't market their schools more. Maybe the people have bigger and better things to care about.

Agree that they will never build a second high school. I really liked Austin too and would be the only other place I would consider in TX.
They have no need to market. The national universities all know them. Same with Plano. When my son was doing college visits, the universities all knew Plano. On one of the tours, there was a student from South Lake. No one in the admissions office had ever heard of it.

To me, marketing a public school is a bit, well, sad. So insecure that they can't let their end results/numbers/facts/students speak for them.

You know, I might be wrong, but I think that HP has band. And Cheerleading. And lots of other great programs too.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
They have no need to market. The national universities all know them. Same with Plano. When my son was doing college visits, the universities all knew Plano. On one of the tours, there was a student from South Lake. No one in the admissions office had ever heard of it.

To me, marketing a public school is a bit, well, sad. So insecure that they can't let their end results/numbers/facts/students speak for them.

You know, I might be wrong, but I think that HP has band. And Cheerleading. And lots of other great programs too.
Thanks for the laugh. As I said even Hp has a need for $300K-$400K. Period. The facts do not support your view. Marketing is done for one reason. Money to the district.

Funny but when I went out of town I had asked many people in the restaurant business if they had heard of Nick and Sam's. Most had not. All had heard of McDonalds. Wonder which one is better?

Old 05-19-2017, 11:14 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,161 times
kyam11,

Could you describe some details on the Carroll $300K marketing program you're talking about ? Is this from a real estate developer?

Old 05-19-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
kyam11,

Could you describe some details on the Carroll $300K marketing program you're talking about ? Is this from a real estate developer?
It has to do with gear that is sold and sponsorships that are sold. Profit for about 8-10 schools is about $350K. This is above and beyond your normal revenue generating programs and fundraising. Likewise HP does an incredible job fundraising for their district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas