Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 07:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayTexan View Post
Way to generalize! Not all Indians here are on H-1Bs - there are a bunch of Green Card holders and citizens who are relocating from other states for jobs/cost of living/other reasons.
But they likely originally came in on an H1B, H4, or F1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 08:25 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,174,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Well, folks used to come on Niña, Pinta, and Santa Maria in olden days. Big difference?

Old 05-23-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Well, folks used to come on Niña, Pinta, and Santa Maria in olden days. Big difference?
Seriously?

Those were Christopher Columbus's ships. I don't believe he set foot in what would become the US in any of his four voyages to the New World. Feel free to Google it.

I think I know the point you're trying to make but you're going about it in an amusingly ham-handed way. Basically, you're trying to call me a hypocrite for opposing high levels of immigration. Am I right?

Old 05-23-2017, 09:06 AM

371 posts, read 553,835 times
And your point is? These are all legal routes of immigration and folks have paid their dues in the form of taxes including Social Security and Medicare (even though those on visas are not eligible for these benefits).

Quote:

Old 05-23-2017, 10:00 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,174,648 times
Quote:
Seriously?

Those were Christopher Columbus's ships. I don't believe he set foot in what would become the US in any of his four voyages to the New World. Feel free to Google it.

I think I know the point you're trying to make but you're going about it in an amusingly ham-handed way. Basically, you're trying to call me a hypocrite for opposing high levels of immigration. Am I right?
You are an intelligent person, I don't have to spell it out for you. However, I didn't call you a hypocrite, you are honest and you speak your mind. I'm surprised because being an educated, well-traveled, enlightened person of Jewish ancestry, I would expect you to stand up against discrimination. These folks come here legally because we advertise these jobs/visas and while they benefit from it, they do contribute to the society.

It's one thing to disagree with immigration laws (and I do disagree) and to try to change them but it's another to hold it against legal immigrants. If they were here illegally or you were Native American then that would be a different disscussion. You can correct me if I misread your comment or misunderstood your intent. I would prefer to be wrong in this case.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
And your point is? These are all legal routes of immigration and folks have paid their dues in the form of taxes including Social Security and Medicare (even though those on visas are not eligible for these benefits).
I didn't say they weren't legal. You're putting words in my mouth.

Quote:
You are an intelligent person, I don't have to spell it out for you. However, I didn't call you a hypocrite, you are honest and you speak your mind. I'm surprised because being an educated, well-traveled, enlightened person of Jewish ancestry, I would expect you to stand up against discrimination. These folks come here legally because we advertise these jobs/visas and while they benefit from it, they do contribute to the society.

It's one thing to disagree with immigration laws (and I do disagree) and to try to change them but it's another to hold it against legal immigrants. If they were here illegally or you were Native American then that would be a different disscussion. You can correct me if I misread your comment or misunderstood your intent. I would prefer to be wrong in this case.
I see white collar immigration as a direct threat to my livelihood and my ability to support my family. My Indian colleagues usually like me a lot, and I treat them the same as anyone else.

Putting my own needs and the needs of my American-born colleagues first is not discrimination. It just isn't.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:39 PM

It may not be discrimination in your mind but it is definitely an entitlement mentality. Just because you were born here does not imply that you are owed a white collar livelihood. We live in a world of 7 billion people with finite resources and competition has to exist with Darwinism in action everyday (survival of the fittest).

And don't forget that this country was built on immigration - your ancestors came here from somewhere else for better opportunities. And as has been repeated ad nauseam, many of the most successful companies in the US today were built and led by immigrants.

Quote:
I didn't say they weren't legal. You're putting words in my mouth.

I see white collar immigration as a direct threat to my livelihood and my ability to support my family. My Indian colleagues usually like me a lot, and I treat them the same as anyone else.

Putting my own needs and the needs of my American-born colleagues first is not discrimination. It just isn't.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
It may not be discrimination in your mind but it is definitely an entitlement mentality. Just because you were born here does not imply that you are owed a white collar livelihood. We live in a world of 7 billion people with finite resources and competition has to exist with Darwinism in action everyday (survival of the fittest).

And don't forget that this country was built on immigration - your ancestors came here from somewhere else for better opportunities. And as has been repeated ad nauseam, many of the most successful companies in the US today were built and led by immigrants.
You're welcome to PM me offline and continue this discussion, but I won't respond further here.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:35 PM

Thanks but no thanks. I think you have your perspective on this and I have mine and ne'er the twain shall meet :-) Let's agree to disagree...

Quote:
You're welcome to PM me offline and continue this discussion, but I won't respond further here.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:26 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times
Quote:
I recall listening to something on radio about this topic and they mentioned that Irving, Carrollton, Coppell, Richardson, Plano, Frisco, Castle Hills (Lewisville), Allen, Murphy and McKinney have highest number of Indians and other Asians in DFW area but numbers are increasing in South lake, Prosper, Park Cities, Preston Hollow, Celina, Flower mound and Keller etc.
Southlake is still predominantly white, but less so than it used to be (the schools are currently about 75% white and 25% minority), and my guess from general observations would be that much of the "minority population" growth is from Indians. A quick look at the school numbers shows the largest minority increase is "Asians", which would include Indians (I know, and everyone else from Kamchatka to Constantinople*)

*- now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople. Been a long time gone, Constantinople.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas