Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 01:38 PM

487 posts, read 467,700 times

Advertisements

Try comparing some other factors, ie....foundation, windows / door quality ( I have been in high end homes here in DFW where windows cannot be opened and sometimes then closed), HVAC and Energy Efficiency, Heating cooling bills and other Big ticket $$$ areas. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 06:23 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Personally I would prefer the home with second bedroom downstairs

Consider that with the home facing NE the read faces SW which means likely site for solar collection...
The offset to that is that a pool in hot climate like Dallas will require water/refilling when sun causes water to evaporate...will add to your water bill as well as pool pump to electric costs

Water will soon be much more expensive --- dwindling resource---

You don't mention the age of the house/pool--there is shelf life to pools just like homes and they require maintenance---having a pool resurfaced is an expensive proposition as it dealing with replacing pool or changing your system from chlorine to salt water as some people do...

We have 2nd home in FL w/pool original to the late 70s built-home...it needs to be resurfaced but we are trying to delay as long as we can...we have also added a pool heat pump heater and repairs for it as well repairs to pool sweep/cleaner and the pump...
We had quality mesh fence installed after our grandson was born (he lives next door) but now that he is older we don't use it anymore--we took it down last year when he was 3...
His parents also had one installed and don't use it...
Grandson knows never to go in pool w/o adults--and he minds...but yes-there is always a risk

Have friend whose son-- 18 at the time-- drowned in their home pool---alone early in AM and possibly while under influence of drugs--very sad
Pools always pose a danger---even to adults...

I always have reaction when I walk into home while house shopping
Which home made you feel happier--more hopeful--more "at home"
That is the one I would go for...

Old 07-01-2017, 10:00 AM

374 posts, read 548,933 times
Two bedrooms on bottom floor might be good for resale value. . Also, a pool is at least $50k to put in, so option 2 seems like a good deal. But go with your gut. I bet both homes are great.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:32 PM

101 posts, read 139,900 times
We outsource our pool maintenance and they charge anywhere from $185-$200 (including tax; depending on whether they're cleaning filter or not). Budget for that each month. And although electricity is dirt cheap in Dallas, don't forget the added cost of electricity for runnign the pump (thank goodness it's so hot that you don't have to heat it to get in) and added water cost as pools evaporate rapidly due to the hot weather. And we had friends that put in pretty basic pools the past couple of years and it seems to be more around $70k (10 years ago or so, they were in the $50k). Also, baby boomers are looking for masters downstairs (think re-sale). We all will get old or have aging parents. Having a house that lives like a one-story (i.e. master bedroom down) should go much faster and at a premium than one that has a guest room down or none at all.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:35 PM

Also, if you just LOVE the house with the pool, it costs around $10k to fill them in (in Orange County/LA area at least). It's become a niche market here as people are realizing they can't afford their pools at $.21/kWh electric costs (because they have to heat their pools in July to get in!) and drought--water's pretty expensive. So see how much it would cost to fill in the pool if you don't want the pool or maintenance of it, but love the house itself.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:22 AM

769 posts, read 782,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farink View Post
Also, if you just LOVE the house with the pool, it costs around $10k to fill them in (in Orange County/LA area at least). It's become a niche market here as people are realizing they can't afford their pools at $.21/kWh electric costs (because they have to heat their pools in July to get in!) and drought--water's pretty expensive. So see how much it would cost to fill in the pool if you don't want the pool or maintenance of it, but love the house itself.
$10k??? What size pool is that?

A 30ft x 20ft x 5ft pool is 3000 ft3 or approx. 22000 gallons.

1000 gallons cost $8.55 (for more than 15000 gallons). so 22000 gallons = 22 * $8.55 = $188.
I'm not sure if you also have to pay for sewer if you fill a pool but that adds $5.31/1000 gallons = $117.

So it costs about $300 to fill a decently sized pool in Dallas.

http://dallascityhall.com/department...rate_sheet.pdf

Old 07-02-2017, 08:42 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
$10k??? What size pool is that?

A 30ft x 20ft x 5ft pool is 3000 ft3 or approx. 22000 gallons.

1000 gallons cost $8.55 (for more than 15000 gallons). so 22000 gallons = 22 * $8.55 = $188.
I'm not sure if you also have to pay for sewer if you fill a pool but that adds $5.31/1000 gallons = $117.

So it costs about $300 to fill a decently sized pool in Dallas.

http://dallascityhall.com/department...rate_sheet.pdf
He meant breaking the walls, filling it up with dirt and putting sod on to make it a grassy yard.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:50 AM

769 posts, read 782,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
He meant breaking the walls, filling it up with dirt and putting sod on to make it a grassy yard.
LOL I accept the idiot award of today!!!

Old 07-02-2017, 11:44 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
LOL I accept the idiot award of today!!!
That's okay. All of us share it from time to time. To err is human.

Filling up the pool is a good solution, one shouldn't have to let go of a good house in a desireable area just because it has a pool, buy it and enjoy the pool, later if you don't see a need then fill it up and extend your yard. Not a big deal. In OP's case, having an extra bedroom on main level is rare and a truly useful blessing.

Last edited by UnfairPark; 07-02-2017 at 11:55 AM..

Old 07-03-2017, 10:03 AM

Ha! Yes, I meant getting rid of the pool. Even in SoCal with crazy water prices it wouldn't cost that much to fill the pool with water This lady had to look into it because every home seems to have a pool and we have to heat the pool in July even to get in to swim. No thanks. The ocean is three minutes away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas