Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 03:43 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,173,706 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a high school senior at a brunch and poor kid had no knowledge of admission process. He is first generation and attends Dallas ISD but I realized that there must be lots of DFW kids who can use some help. Even if they go to college help sites, they won't get help with local focus and we all know how useless public school counselors can be.

I would urge posters who attended public schools and then moved on to Texas universities to post helpful tips in this thread. Students and parents can post their questions and some efficient poster can post deadlines and step by step process etc. Every year local students and parents can benefit from this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 03:59 PM

712 posts, read 841,779 times
parents / students can get THOUSANDS of dollars back on tax returns (credits/refunds):
https://www.irs.gov/uac/parents-and-...nd-years-ahead

Old 06-28-2017, 04:31 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
I was talking to a high school senior at a brunch and poor kid had no knowledge of admission process. He is first generation and attends Dallas ISD but I realized that there must be lots of DFW kids who can use some help. Even if they go to college help sites, they won't get help with local focus and we all know how useless public school counselors can be.

I would urge posters who attended public schools and then moved on to Texas universities to post helpful tips in this thread. Students and parents can post their questions and some efficient poster can post deadlines and step by step process etc. Every year local students and parents can benefit from this thread.

Education is Freedom is a wonderful non-profit that operates on the campus at quite a few DISD high schools. Their counselors / mentors assist with the entire college application process from financials to essays and application help. You should get the young man you met in touch with EIF.

Education Is Freedom

Old 06-28-2017, 04:35 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,173,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Education is Freedom is a wonderful non-profit that operates on the campus at quite a few DISD high schools. Their counselors / mentors assist with the entire college application process from financials to essays and application help. You should get the young man you met in touch with EIF.

Education Is Freedom
Great! I'll forward it to his father. If you guys keep posting tips and links, this thread can help other area students as well.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:47 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Several other resources that can start well before high school:

1. Boys & Girls Club - I know they have a collegiate prep program that one of my friends volunteered at through Junior League. They take the kids on a tour of DFW area colleges and also help with college application prep. The Dallas BGC website says 100% of their kids went on to higher education.
https://bgcdallas.org

2. Big Brothers Big Sisters - another fabulous program where younger kids get a "big" brother or sister, typically an educated professional. This one really depends on the individual relationship forged, but I know a few people who have been with their littles from elementary school all the way through senior year and beyond.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:06 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post

The admissions game within the UT system is nothing short of byzantine, A&M is only a little better.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:41 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
The guidance counselor at his high school should also be able to help. That's their job.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:37 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The admissions game within the UT system is nothing short of byzantine, A&M is only a little better.
It's sad. When I applied to UT, you had to have the right class rank and a high enough SAT score. If you fell in the shaded area on the matrix, you were in. With a high class rank (not top 7%, but top 10%) and a 1350 SAT score (first try, woo!), I was in like Flynn.

The application itself wasn't even long. 2 pages IIRC. No essay or recommendations required.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:51 AM

197 posts, read 229,227 times
He should be preparing for the SAT/ACT this summer, and take one of those tests in the fall, since the college application deadlines are usually in the latter part of the fall semester. However, he should be applying to college as early as possible rather than applying just before the deadline; additionally, he will need to keep track of the deadlines for each school where he wishes to apply for admission.

I attended a public Texas high school, went to a community college, and then transferred to TCU (where I am currently a student). However, I didn't have to take the SAT/ACT as a transfer admit, but it must be noted that some schools will still require SAT/ACT for transfer. As EDS_ alluded to, Texas public universities focus heavily on class rank (the top 10% rule) when admitting students, but private universities like TCU and SMU will often take a more holistic admissions approach and consider factors other than GPA and SAT/ACT scores. What this means for privates is that when admissions officers are deciding to admit one of two students with equivalent GPA and SAT/ACT scores, the one that has better extracurricular involvement (especially depth of activities, around a common interest, rather than breadth), the better admissions essay, and so forth will be the one to get the admission offer. That's not to say that the public universities don't do this too.

Also, for students with strong résumés, private universities oftentimes offer more scholarships and financial aid for their students compared to public universities, in some cases making the private university cheaper. Unless you are lucky to receive a substantial "outside" scholarship (one not offered by a specific educational institution, such as those from the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation and similar organizations), and excluding any grant money, most of your aid money will come from the university you will be attending. Merit scholarship offers are one way in which universities can "compete" for stellar students (or athletes), by enticing students to attend their institution through offering more money than another university did.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:01 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,623 posts, read 17,953,728 times
He needs to start acting right now. He needs to sign up to take the August SAT, and the October SAT . If he waits until October, who knows, maybe the car won't start or he'll wake up with a 103 fever. This is too important to put off. Go on the SAT website and sign up for August. The SAT website is enormously helpful with all kinds of aspects of college admission.

He also needs to go to the ApplyTexas website - to fill out the Texas Common Application. Also an enormously helpful website.

Rule of thumb - he needs to have submitted all applications to public colleges/universities in Texas before he takes his first bite of turkey at Thanksgiving. That's the goal, and he needs to stick to it.

Best wishes to him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas