Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 02:24 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times

Advertisements

Sorry it's Babe's. Did not realize my autocorrect doesn't share my affection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 05:06 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Ha, thanks!

Old 10-24-2017, 12:22 PM

80 posts, read 109,475 times
OP, what did you decide?

Old 10-24-2017, 12:51 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
By the way, Garland is absolutely an employment hub. However, the primary employers make things (i.e., manufacturing, not software). If you have a profession in manufacturing, Garland has jobs. In fact, as the Harry Hines/Industrial Boulevard (oh, excuuuuse me, Riverside Blvd) becomes gentrified, I wouldn't be surprised if Garland has surpassed it in manufacturing employment.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:43 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Thanks for the clarification, turf3.

Life has taken some interesting turns since I started this thread. We came down in late August to stay with our Dallas North family until we found a house. To say that it has been a challenge has been an understatement. We looked at Garland as well as some other more northern suburbs and were hard-pressed to find anything within our range that wasn't a project. The few that were solid or needed minor cosmetic repairs were already snapped up by the time we went to put a bid on them. Or we were outbid by $5-10K or more. Our realtor convinced us to a go in another direction than the 3BR/2BA SFH we had been seeking to consider 2BR/2BA condos. We ended up putting an offer on one in Far North Dallas near Addison four weeks ago. Unforeseen repairs and other issues that I should probably keep private have gotten us to the point where we will just be closing *tomorrow*...eight weeks after we arrived in Dallas. It's been quite a journey.

We did spend a lot of time in Garland and I came to understand what people here on the forum meant by the differences between North and South. North Garland was your typical newish suburb, not so different from Allen/Frisco/McKinney. South Garland looked like an extension of Dallas. That's not necessarily bad...but the odd thing about our search on that end is that the properties we found tended to be the nicest homes on not-so-great blocks. There was one great house near Downtown Garland that was beautiful and on a great block of older, well-maintained homes. If the owner accepted our bid, we probably would have already been there for a few weeks.

But in the end, I'm glad our realtor redirected us to a different type of home. We probably should focus on a low-maintenance lifestyle, anyway. And the location is perfect for most all of our needs and wants, including being a half hour or less from our family. So we are happy...or at least we *will* be. Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas