Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 01:43 PM

130 posts, read 153,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
If you want little India then Richwoods is the place to be. I was there last weekend, My friend's street was jam packed with cars and ladies in head scarfs/saris were walking to and from a house in festive manner. My friend said his neighbor has some open house party and invited 60 families in three shifts of 20 families. On the average every family has 4-7 people so every shift had roughly 100 people. I was floored by their ability to entertain such a big crowd. Our family gets overwhelmed if we invite more than 6-7 families, our best is 11 families/40 people on a thanksgiving.
That was most likely during Eid ul Fitre... end of Ramadan celebration for the Muslims. It's very pleasing to see DFW desis are getting the opportunities to invite over friends, families and neighbors at such scale during festivities... as that's pretty much how it's done in the Indian Subcontinent & other parts of Asia. We were at my friends place in Irving (Villas or Andalusia, next to the Irving Islamic Center) and it was pretty much the same scene there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 04:58 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Since OP is looking for Indian community, Southlake would seem to be an incredibly poor choice. Cease the trolling!
T shirts!

Op, anywhere in Plano or Carrollton (that is in your budget)...or even Richardson.
Those are closest to the best Indian stores.

People will try to tell you all the Indians live in one place. Not true. They're all over the place.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:47 PM

96 posts, read 150,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Here is all you need to know

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/search.aspx

Click on top 10 districts on that page. Carroll #1 in TX, HP #2 in TX

and

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-place...n-texas/22419/

Best cities for families. Southlake #1 by a ton, University Park #2

Pick either one of those cities. Both are far and above anything else.

Here's all you need to know??

that schooldigger site doesn't even have Carroll high school listed on it. Nowhere have I ever seen Carroll high school ranked anywhere near Highland park high school on any school ranking list. HP has higher SAT scores, more NMSF's, a smaller class, and isn't as obsessed with their football team. So stop cherrypicking some random site that is just as bad as the one the OP mentioned.

With regards to best cities for families- that esteemed article you put on here essentially has University Park and Allen basically equal in overall ranking. Sorry but not buying that for a second. Cherrypicking is great though when you have an agenda.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:39 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite76 View Post
Wow, what?

As were all of our parents, really. My point was that this immigration and the blending of differences is what built "American" culture.

Take the OP's post, and sub out "Anglo, White" for "Indian"... what would the reaction to that be?
Wow. No white person could request info on housing in DFW in a concentrated white area. That person would be blasted as racist. But its okay for those of other races/cultures to request concentration to preserve culture? I certainly do understand the interest in feeling community and comfort. But it surprises me the interest is in order to not assimilate rather than mere comfort.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:41 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,460,702 times
If there are a lot of Indians, then a new middle school kid may not be able to integrate as well (with the existing Indian kids) because social groups have already formed. I noticed where I am, at least for the Indian girls, the ones who move in seem more apt to befriend the non-Indian girls who aren't already in racially exclusive groups.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:46 PM

139 posts, read 171,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite76 View Post
Because, at least from what I've seen and experienced, the SE Asian Indian population tends to be the most insular, homogenized, group. While it's typical throughout history for first gen immigrants to seek out ethnic enclaves, everything that I've experienced shows that cultural diversity is a very low priority in SE Asian cultures.
It's interesting because I've known many second gen Indians. In my experience, they think of themselves as Americans first and Indian second. They do a great job of blending in.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:24 PM

964 posts, read 877,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1977 View Post
Here's all you need to know??

that schooldigger site doesn't even have Carroll high school listed on it. Nowhere have I ever seen Carroll high school ranked anywhere near Highland park high school on any school ranking list. HP has higher SAT scores, more NMSF's, a smaller class, and isn't as obsessed with their football team. So stop cherrypicking some random site that is just as bad as the one the OP mentioned.

With regards to best cities for families- that esteemed article you put on here essentially has University Park and Allen basically equal in overall ranking. Sorry but not buying that for a second. Cherrypicking is great though when you have an agenda.
Haha. There is a lot more to high school than SAT score or NMSF. I have no agenda. Unlike most here I can afford to live anywhere I want and I chose here. DeMarcus Ware just retired after making $30M over the last 3 years and chose to live here. As I said go ahead and make excuses as to why the ranking are what they are. I hear everyone make excuses as to why the Warriors were the champs this year. Doesn't matter.
They are.

You also mistook me for someone who cares "what you buy". Start your own site and have people pay you for it if you want an opinion that matters.

Next time research the criteria and you can see why Allen might equal University Park. In the end no one above Southlake. End of story. Settle for something less if you choose.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:12 AM

96 posts, read 150,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Haha. There is a lot more to high school than SAT score or NMSF. I have no agenda. Unlike most here I can afford to live anywhere I want and I chose here. DeMarcus Ware just retired after making $30M over the last 3 years and chose to live here. As I said go ahead and make excuses as to why the ranking are what they are. I hear everyone make excuses as to why the Warriors were the champs this year. Doesn't matter.
They are.

You also mistook me for someone who cares "what you buy". Start your own site and have people pay you for it if you want an opinion that matters.

Next time research the criteria and you can see why Allen might equal University Park. In the end no one above Southlake. End of story. Settle for something less if you choose.
I know you don't care what other people on here think as you have stated that numerous times. To be honest I don't think you have alot of credibility on here with your blind homerism and obvious insecurity. It just makes you look bad and makes Southlake look bad. I'm pretty sure the good people from Southlake on here would agree with me and probably want you to keep shut. You are way too biased. I'll go ahead and be embarrassed for you. Southlake is a great place but for you to portray misinformation to people not from DFW on here is wrong.

BTW-people who brag about having so much money usually don't have that much and Demarcus Ware probably lives in Southlake because his ex-wife and kid also live there

Old 07-04-2017, 09:57 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Wow. No white person could request info on housing in DFW in a concentrated white area. That person would be blasted as racist. But its okay for those of other races/cultures to request concentration to preserve culture? I certainly do understand the interest in feeling community and comfort. But it surprises me the interest is in order to not assimilate rather than mere comfort.
Sure they could.

You guys are assuming it's just about being around people of the same race.

On the contrary.

Going where there a lot of Indians may mean going with there are a lot of Indian restaurants, Indian grocery stores, temple, Indian dancing studios, puja groups, etc.

The grocery store one is a really big deal, as there are many things only available there.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:32 AM

964 posts, read 877,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1977 View Post
I know you don't care what other people on here think as you have stated that numerous times. To be honest I don't think you have alot of credibility on here with your blind homerism and obvious insecurity. It just makes you look bad and makes Southlake look bad. I'm pretty sure the good people from Southlake on here would agree with me and probably want you to keep shut. You are way too biased. I'll go ahead and be embarrassed for you. Southlake is a great place but for you to portray misinformation to people not from DFW on here is wrong.

BTW-people who brag about having so much money usually don't have that much and Demarcus Ware probably lives in Southlake because his ex-wife and kid also live there
Maybe he does live there because of that. Not sure. Jermaine O Neal is another who made over $100M and chose to live here. Jason Witten would be another even though other places would be far more convenient. You again mistook me that I care what others want me to do. I don't. All these rating website take different metrics, apply them and out comes an answer. If a specific city came up with metrics and published their findings and it showed that that particular city was rated the best you would definitely have a point.

Mark Cuban talks about how much money he has. Warren Buffet the same. Steve Jobs also used to. Larry Ellison is known for it. I can go on and on. What you believe or think has already shown to be extremely flawed. Personally OP can choose anywhere they want. If they want the best place for families AND schools it is Southlake with everything else below it. That is OK. The second Southlake falls to anything other than the best I'll leave.

I get it. You can't afford to live here so you want to talk about how it isn't that great. I am sure a Honda Accord is a fine car to you and you probably consider it a good car. It simply isn't even in my stratosphere. You all can tell OP that he can move to some other area and it is good enough and maybe it is. If he wants the best, start and end with Southlake.

As for you not liking my posts I don't care. This is an opinion forum. I have and will express my opinion. I get paid a whole lot of dollars for my opinion in the real world which is why I can afford to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas