Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 03:09 PM

454 posts, read 763,628 times

Advertisements

I am fanatically into design and architecture and I love gray brick, and I love bedrooms upstairs. Downstairs MBR are strange to me, and I would jump at the chance for all the BRs to be upstairs. If you are handicapped or elderly, that's another story.

But, I gobble up design books every month, and push furniture around my house for a fun time, so I could be different.

All the pink and red brick in Dallas looks monotonous and commercial to me. Painted brick is gorgeous-you will find a buyer for your house no matter what. Anything in the Coppell isd flys off the shelf. I have 2 friends who recently sold their houses in Coppell (older homes, about 280-350k) They both received offers the first day-both received offers over the asking price.

Buy the house if you like it and it serves your needs. It's in a good spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 03:22 PM

786 posts, read 1,223,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtank View Post
We saw a house (1993 built) in Southlake/Coppel ISD. The interior of the house looks great and fits all of our needs. The exterior is Grey brick. The house also has Master BR upstairs (level 2).

We were almost considering making an offer on the house but our realtor gave some feedback which got me thinking. Our realtor says it is very hard to resell a grey brick house. On top of that having a master Br upstairs is another negative for resell.

I have barely seen any grey brick houses in Southlake and as such do not have any opinion (good/bad) about them. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!!
I assume you mean Carroll ISD since Copell is a totally different city. By grey brick, do you mean like the house I linked below:

1301 Normandy Ct, Southlake, TX 76092 - realtor.com®

If so, yes, it is uglier than the 90's pink and will limit your buying pool, but as others have noted, buy the home that works for you. Any house in a nice area with a desirable school district will sell, as people will always have to make some compromise.

I agree the early 90s gray brick is very different from the trendier painted grey you see today, which can actually look good. Painted brick has been popularized now on the home remodel shows with the white paint, german schmear, etc.

Old 07-06-2017, 03:27 PM

455 posts, read 578,582 times
I am a huge fan of Master Bedroom up, never understood why it was bad in Dallas.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:05 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,174,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
I am a huge fan of Master Bedroom up, never understood why it was bad in Dallas.
It's in minds of realtors only and they keep putting it in minds of buyers. When it comes to real people, there are ones who prefer master upstairs and others who prefer downstairs. Imho, there are pros and cons for both but ultimately it's about your lifestyle.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:08 PM

455 posts, read 578,582 times
Coming from California I thought it was very weird having the master bedroom down. When we moved to WA it was like being back home with the master up.

When I bought my first home in Frisco, we got one with master up.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:56 PM

16 posts, read 21,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
I assume you mean Carroll ISD since Copell is a totally different city. By grey brick, do you mean like the house I linked below:

1301 Normandy Ct, Southlake, TX 76092 - realtor.com®

If so, yes, it is uglier than the 90's pink and will limit your buying pool, but as others have noted, buy the home that works for you. Any house in a nice area with a desirable school district will sell, as people will always have to make some compromise.

I agree the early 90s gray brick is very different from the trendier painted grey you see today, which can actually look good. Painted brick has been popularized now on the home remodel shows with the white paint, german schmear, etc.
Yep you are right! I meant Carroll ISD. Sorry about the mix up!
And that is THE house i was referring to!

I did'nt think it had any curb appeal whatsoever. But my husband thought it popped out amongst all the shades of pink/red brick houses around

Old 07-06-2017, 05:01 PM

16 posts, read 21,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Can you paint the brick?
We checked that option but were told that apparently the 90's grey bricks are so porous that it will need a few coats of paint and even then it may not look good.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:48 PM

786 posts, read 1,223,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtank View Post
Yep you are right! I meant Carroll ISD. Sorry about the mix up!
And that is THE house i was referring to!

I did'nt think it had any curb appeal whatsoever. But my husband thought it popped out amongst all the shades of pink/red brick houses around
How funny! I picked it randomly and you're right, there aren't many with that shade in Southlake. I'm on your side there is not much curb appeal. In this case, I don't think standing out is a good thing, especially with the difficulty painting you noted.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:52 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
We once had a gray trimmed house to sell. The agent i was talking with said gray houses are hard to sell.

DH said find an agent with a gray office. We did and the house sold, no problems.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:02 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Very strange... Some idiot Realtor listed this home in the Houston MLS system and not in the North Texas system. May not get a lot of lookers.

Traditionally, grey has been a hard color to resale. Same with Master bedrooms upstairs. Most anyone over 40 and with older kids don't like the Master being up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: