Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 01:16 PM

92 posts, read 117,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
So what you're implying is, by choosing to send your child to one of these districts if you could afford another, or instead of living in an outermost suburb, you're actually shortchanging your child and hurting their life prospects.
Woah, that's not what I'm implying and there's little direct correlation that by location or name alone, their experience in one school district over another will directly influence their future.

IF the location is still affordable, still attainable and reasonable among lifestyle qualities, the choice of public school should be focused on what offers the best ENVIRONMENT for the child/student. I firmly believe the environment at HOME and relationship with the parent is far more important than the school, teachers and classmates.

Quote:
So, it's worth getting into competitive price bidding for the "preferred" suburban ISDs or spending extra commute time to live in an outermost suburb where the schools are still considered OK (better than the inner suburbs). This is the whole dynamic that I'm trying to elucidate that has a large share of responsibility for many of the complaints being lodged in this forum conversation.
It's unfortunate, but rarely can one family influence significant improvements to an ISD with systemic problems, especially when those problems relate to budget, quality of staff, access to special needs and community-rooted socioeconomic divides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 01:36 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Train View Post
Woah, that's not what I'm implying and there's little direct correlation that by location or name alone, their experience in one school district over another will directly influence their future.

IF the location is still affordable, still attainable and reasonable among lifestyle qualities, the choice of public school should be focused on what offers the best ENVIRONMENT for the child/student. I firmly believe the environment at HOME and relationship with the parent is far more important than the school, teachers and classmates.

It's unfortunate, but rarely can one family influence significant improvements to an ISD with systemic problems, especially when those problems relate to budget, quality of staff, access to special needs and community-rooted socioeconomic divides.
Your statement sounds good. As if families should therefore rightly consider the affordable inner suburban districts, including those to which I've referred.

But then the second part of your response is pretty harsh. Are you pretty much then lumping most or all of the affordable inner suburban districts under this negative umbrella? It's also seemingly contradictory to your first statement.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:46 PM

92 posts, read 117,128 times
It might seem harsh and DISD was at the forefront of my mind when writing the second part of my response, but I can see the less-mentioned districts around Dallas facing some of the same problems. I don't have the time, money or effort to get involved and become a contributor to their situations, so I'd rather remove myself from the equation.

There was a time when I crossed Valley Ranch off my list over Irving ISD and the 'Clockmed Mohammed' scandal. Thankfully, I don't believe Irving ISD settled with that family.

They're not all lumped in together and there are some near-Dallas districts doing exceptionally well, like RISD and Sunnyvale.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:17 PM

385 posts, read 489,141 times
Disclaimer: I don't live in any of the "okay" areas mentioned.

A friend of mine was searching for sub-$250K homes in the North Dallas burbs and was having quite a bit of trouble. I told him to look into Grand Prairie. There's an elementary school there that rivals the "top" elementary schools in DISD (Lakewood, Stonewall, etc.) and the usual suburban schools. I also told him that the middle school in this area was fantastic (not my personal opinion, this is supported by hard data).

He simply told me he didn't want to live "south of Dallas", for whatever reason. I think a lot of people here are afraid when they hear the word "south" mentioned. The truth is, a lot of great areas with solid schooling options are in the Southern burbs that are also affordable and within a reasonable commute to major job centers. A lot of people simply don't want to live there for whatever reason.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:12 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,091,562 times
Unless a school is actually dangerous, falling apart, or missing key things like AP classes/sports/fine arts, does it really matter? Speaking as someone who went through a "bad" or "mediocre" school by this forum's standards, I feel like an individual can do just as well at one of the top local public schools or a not so good school. The student's own motivation to succeed, which likely won't have to do with how reputable a school is, much more important, as is the input of the student's guardians. I even know a number of smart students whose parents purposely sent them to worse schools because the parents expected (correctly, for the most part) that it would be an easy way for their children to rank higher. As far as I am aware, neither them nor I did any worse than our peers at Plano in things like the SATs, AP tests, or college admissions

Old 07-15-2017, 06:20 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Unless a school is actually dangerous, falling apart, or missing key things like AP classes/sports/fine arts, does it really matter? Speaking as someone who went through a "bad" or "mediocre" school by this forum's standards, I feel like an individual can do just as well at one of the top local public schools or a not so good school. The student's own motivation to succeed, which likely won't have to do with how reputable a school is, much more important, as is the input of the student's guardians. I even know a number of smart students whose parents purposely sent them to worse schools because the parents expected (correctly, for the most part) that it would be an easy way for their children to rank higher. As far as I am aware, neither them nor I did any worse than our peers at Plano in things like the SATs, AP tests, or college admissions
I agree 100%
I went thru 6th grade in beautiful but lousy schools. My parents finally decided to move away and home schooled us. 5 kids and all did great in their lives. I did the same for my kids and grand kids. we all went back to public school in 12th grade and were top of our classes. Home school was generally about 3 hours per day.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:36 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
To the extent people complain they can't find affordable enough housing, if that's part of your complaint, which it seems it is, then it is also your hangup.
BS. The two CAN be mutually exclusive. Heck, every person with that complaint (which is a totally legitimate complaint) doesn't even HAVE children, so if that's YOUR hangup and the issue that YOU choose to push, you can't automatically assign it to everybody else. Stop trying to paint everybody who doesn't agree with you with a broad brush, just to try to launch your own personal crusade. That never works.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:14 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Train View Post
Individual school performance in those ISDs are hit-and-miss, with many experiencing socioeconomic variances that may be out of one's comfort zone.

Those same ISDs weren't considered 'desired' since my time in school (20 years removed), and it's difficult for me to see how public education has improved since, aside from access to technology, updated vocational programs, STEM programs and introduction to foreign language.
Socioeconomic variances - i.e., too many non-white kids. They want just enough Asians to provide a challenge but not so many that Billy and Becky can't even finish in the top 20%. Blacks and Latinos, well.....

Old 07-16-2017, 03:03 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,943,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
BS. The two CAN be mutually exclusive. Heck, every person with that complaint (which is a totally legitimate complaint) doesn't even HAVE children, so if that's YOUR hangup and the issue that YOU choose to push, you can't automatically assign it to everybody else. Stop trying to paint everybody who doesn't agree with you with a broad brush, just to try to launch your own personal crusade. That never works.
Look, it certainly appears that the big price increases in housing - where it's very difficult to find homes under $300K - are largely occurring in suburbs where the "preferred" school zones are, plus certain trendy urban core neighborhoods (which sometimes also have "preferred" schools). It's clear that many other relatively conveniently located suburbs that are still quite affordable. So, why all the complaining about home prices being driven up too high, when those affordable options are still very much there? Is it really that much of a step down to live somewhere other than Plano / Frisco / Coppell / Southlake / Flower Mound / McKinney etc.?

The very same question could be aimed at the newcomers from the coasts. If they weren't so hung up on living in the "preferred" school zones, they would spread themselves out much more, and the overall price appreciation impacts would be much more modest in places like Plano etc., though I admit there would probably be some modest upward impacts in the "non-preferred" suburbs.

And I should note that these things apply regardless of whether the home buyer has children or not. Folks without kids get pointed toward "preferred" school zones because of "resale implications" all the time. Well, maybe it's time to change the whole dynamic of the "resale implications."

Old 07-17-2017, 02:05 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
Quote:
It's clear that many other relatively conveniently located suburbs that are still quite affordable.
Is this clear? I don't think it is. I guess the best you could say is that the relatively inconveniently located suburbs are still affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas