Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 01:23 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
Dallas has a vibrant gay scene. Your kids will love it here, especially if they are gay!
This seems like a disingenuous comment, but just in case...They would have to be seeking it out. Outside of occasionally seeing a couple that I suspect to be gay in a restaurant I've lived in Dallas for years and not noticed it. The DFW area is so big that once you form a social circle of like-minded families (which it seems the OP wants to do) then you would never notice even a large gay dynamic in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 01:42 PM

769 posts, read 782,624 times
The reason why you don't notice gay people is because they don't shove it down your throats and outside of some neighborhoods gays blend in.

But make no mistake, Dallas is a very welcoming and progressive city when it comes to social issues.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:47 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Id say that, DFW (especially the Dallas side of the Metroplex) is more multicultural than it is conservative. Dallas itself isnt conservative at all. On the contrary, its quite liberal. You can find many conservative suburbs, but the area as a whole is moving left more so than right. I would categorize it as middle of the road right now.

If you ok with being around both large numbers of conservatives and liberals, North Texas is great. If your looking for a place devoid of liberals, Dallas sure isnt it.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:47 PM

692 posts, read 855,382 times
Texas conservatism is not the same as much other conservatism. Even our bedrock cowboy-church Lubbock-DEEP-RED conservative types have a much broader libertarian streak in them than is common elsewhere. You might bear that in mind.

If you have the time and have the money and it's summertime, honestly, I'd just do a big road trip and get a sense of the vibe-on-the-street all the way across the country. Some place will "click" for you in a way other spots won't, and largely that'll tell you where you want to be.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:49 PM

778 posts, read 2,323,012 times
Stay in California. Seriously, if you both like and are financially making it in SD, there is no reason to relocate here. Dallas excels in career opportunities and affordability, although the second one is rapidly eroding. Beyond that there is nothing spectacularly good or bad about this area. Its okay.

If you like the natural environment of SoCal you will not find anything close here. I just got back from a weeklong excursion in British Columbia. Its absolutely stunning up there. Even as someone who lives here, coming back to Dallas was a very jarring experience, like adjusting your eyes to standard def after watching HDTV for the longest. But going anywhere with even a moderate level of natural beauty will probably cause the same feeling. The environment here is probably my least favorite thing about Dallas.

Please do not buy into the hype that Texas is some sort of wholesome utopia for kids. While I would agree that TX is probably more family oriented than CA, that has more to do with the fact that people here like to bang and pop out babies rather than some magic force field of goodness. Texas, like any other state, is not immune to any social ills you'd find in CA. Most high schools in middle and upper middle income areas of DFW are awash in drugs; I grew up in Plano during the height of the 90s-early 2000's heroin crisis, and things have really not changed much. This state is also number 1 in teen pregnancies and generally scores poorly in a host of other social measurements. Don't get me wrong, kids can do very well here. But parenting and to a lesser extent socioeconomic status matter far more than what state you are in.

Lastly, and you'll have to forgive my frankness here, but are really going to uproot yourself to a place you've never otherwise consider because some liberal types were mean to you? Sorry, but I absolutely hate it when people self segregate based on their political views. It is incredibly destructive to our nation's social fabric. All you are doing is cocooning yourself in your own self created bubble. I am on the opposite side of the political spectrum so with your logic, should I leave Texas? Sounds like your main problem is you need some new friends and, maybe, some thicker skin. My guess is a) you probably don't realize a lot of urban Texas is trending blue and b) a "conservative" Californian is absolutely nothing like a "conservative" Texan.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:49 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
I'd agree with that statement and add that there are plenty of wealthy, conservative families in Dallas whose kids are known for "bad behavior". That said, having lived in both California and Dallas, there is quite a difference when it comes to expecting kids to display good manners here in Texas. There are brats everywhere, but the general Texas culture is much more openly friendly and polite than what I found in California and even if kids act like jerks behind closed doors here, they are expected to behave appropriately in public.

I find it hilarious that people continue to assert that Dallas is so "liberal" or "trending liberal." Let's be honest people. There are plenty of liberals in Dallas, but the outspoken voices here are largely conservative. The Texas legislature has been red for some time. Since Ann Richards left office, every governor has been more conservative than the last. So, while there is quite a bit of political diversity in the city of Dallas proper, the suburbs are well known for trending conservative and the liberals, whether in the suburbs or the city, tend to walk around like a secret society - only speaking about their views when another member has first outed themselves as a fellow liberal. If there is an outspoken, widespread, liberal voice in Dallas, I've had yet to hear it. I'd actually argue that Dallas is pretty balanced politically speaking, but it tends to be more acceptable to voice conservative opinions in public than liberal ones.
Im a very outspoken liberal originally from LA. I lived in Dallas and Plano for 6 years. While I agree DFW is mostly politically balanced and that the conservative voices can be loud, liberals are hardly silent. Dallas has been home to a lot of protests, immigration rallies, and the gay scene is huge.

Either way, as a liberal, I loved Dallas. I never went out looking for friends by political leanings, but about 75% of my friends that I encountered were fellow liberals. Like finds like I guess...

Old 07-07-2017, 03:32 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Reasonable driving distance to beaches and mountains is the usual response as to why to move to NC. Driving to those places is not the same as having them there. It is too far for a day trip usually, especially with kids.

Asheville, yes, but then Asheville is quite liberal as well. Wilmington might work though.

I'm just saying that NC is not the ideal place CD users think it is. Schools are worse; housing (while cheaper than DFW) is getting more expensive; there is plenty of traffic. It's interesting ... but there is a poster who was complaining about DFW who recently moved to NC and is still complaining. Attitude is everything.
I have lived in NC so you don't need to explain anything about it to me. If I lived in Raleigh I would also buy a place on the Outer Banks and my wife and kids could live there for the summer and I could easily do 3-4 day weekends. From Charlotte I would buy a lake house in the mountains northwest of Greenville SC though on the NC side of things. So yes, that would be a huge quality of life upgrade. We camp 12-14 weekends a year in the parks that are driving distance from a Dallas so we live with what we've got access to and on the whole I don't complain a lot about Dallas like others do. I probably wouldn't send my kids to public school in Texas or NC so that doesn't really enter the equation for me. And as far as being liberal, I suppose I am biased because I am from New England, but basically everywhere except California and Chicago seem plenty conservative for me.

OP clearly has money so taking advantage of amenities will not be a problem - it will be access to those amenities. I am not saying everyone has the same leisure preferences that we do. But for someone accustomed to access to beaches and mountains and who might very much like them, I am just saying they should at least look into other places in addition to Dallas.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:08 PM

139 posts, read 171,723 times
I'm a moderate and I wish both sides would keep their unsolicited opinions to themselves. The conservatives are much more on my nerves but that may just be quantity. As someone else said, liberals here generally don't speak their mind unless they know you are liberal or at least moderate first. Outside of my wife, I basically do not talk non-local politics with anyone anymore.

San Diego letting the Chargers leave is a plus in my book. I like sports, but we all need to stop letting the billionaire owners rip off the taxpayers.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:32 PM

6 posts, read 4,956 times
Congratulations on selling your business. I would stay put in San Diego unless you have a very strong reason to uproot yourself and move. Dallas is not what it was 20 years ago but same applies to the US. Change is now the new Normal.

Take a vacation and stay at the Gaylord Texan in Grapevine and go out to Southlake, Frisco and drive down to Dallas downtown. Spend a day at the Fort Worth Stockyards.

I love Fort Worth but can never live there. Why? Too slow moving for me.
I love Dallas but can live there. Why? The roads are crumbling, the traffic is brutal and once you get home, you are bored out of your mind.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:38 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
I have lived in NC so you don't need to explain anything about it to me. If I lived in Raleigh I would also buy a place on the Outer Banks and my wife and kids could live there for the summer and I could easily do 3-4 day weekends. From Charlotte I would buy a lake house in the mountains northwest of Greenville SC though on the NC side of things. So yes, that would be a huge quality of life upgrade. We camp 12-14 weekends a year in the parks that are driving distance from a Dallas so we live with what we've got access to and on the whole I don't complain a lot about Dallas like others do. I probably wouldn't send my kids to public school in Texas or NC so that doesn't really enter the equation for me. And as far as being liberal, I suppose I am biased because I am from New England, but basically everywhere except California and Chicago seem plenty conservative for me.

OP clearly has money so taking advantage of amenities will not be a problem - it will be access to those amenities. I am not saying everyone has the same leisure preferences that we do. But for someone accustomed to access to beaches and mountains and who might very much like them, I am just saying they should at least look into other places in addition to Dallas.
I see.

It would be nice to be able to afford to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas