Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 12:48 PM

4 posts, read 7,602 times

Advertisements

Hi! I would love to hear from Toyota employees that have made the move from Torrance CA to the Dallas area. Are your families adjusting to your new home? Any positives or negatives that you would like to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 02:58 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Not a Toyota employee so disclaimer there.

However Torrance, CA is my hometown and I lived in Plano for 6 years.

I loved Plano. It was exactly like Torrance but without the physical beauty and instead of large numbers of Koreans there are large numbers of Indians. It also came at a fraction the cost.

I found people in Plano to be very similar to people from Torrance. Both a multicultural, both are friendly, and both are close enough to the city to go do things while still offering options to people that didnt want to go into LA/Dallas.

The things you have to get used to are not seeing mountains or beaches and the seasons. Other than that its much cheaper and offers the same benefits to the resident.

They even both now have Mitsuwa!!!! It wasnt there when I was in Plano but came right after I left which pi$$ed me off!

Old 07-07-2017, 04:37 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,066,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
The things you have to get used to are not seeing mountains or beaches and the seasons. Other than that its much cheaper and offers the same benefits to the resident.
Wait, what? I completely agree on the mountains and beaches, but seasons? DFW has a long summer, but it has more of an Autumn and Winter than Southern California. Usually at least once or twice a year, we get some sort of ice and the leaves, at least in many neighborhoods like the one I reside in, change colors every year before falling off.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:32 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,583,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Wait, what? I completely agree on the mountains and beaches, but seasons? DFW has a long summer, but it has more of an Autumn and Winter than Southern California. Usually at least once or twice a year, we get some sort of ice and the leaves, at least in many neighborhoods like the one I reside in, change colors every year before falling off.
Right. That's what I was saying. Sorry if it came across wrong.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:50 PM

88 posts, read 152,494 times
I lived in Orange County for about 20 years and moved to Texas as part of Toyota move couple of years ago ( yes, I am one of the early movers). Every city has its own pros and cons, not necessary any city is good or bad in general.

After moving to Texas, personally I feel my quality of life improved significantly. I love it here.

- My commute from Irvine to Torrance used to be about an hour to hour of half ( depending on traffic) one way daily. It is 15 minutes now. This is significant. Getting an additional 2 hours is great.
- Other-than some occasional days, traffic on DNT, 121 and 75 is nothing compared to what you see on 405.
- Live in a house with a pool which is 3 times bigger than my previous home, but costed me less. I can never afford this kind of home in Irvine. I purchased a 17 year old home in an established neighborhood with excellent schools and that was a very nice decision. My family loves the new home. I thank many senior members of this forum for helping me with facts and advice.
- Schools in Plano are comparable to Uni High or even better in Irvine. My son struggled initially but doing well in school both in academics and EC.
- Good neighbors and overall very nice people around.
- Safety of Irvine and Plano are similar. I did not see any difference.
- Paycheck is bigger considering no state tax. Even with increased property tax ( which is tax deductible BTW) I ended up positive overall.
- May be you loose about 30 days for extreme weather compared to Torrance weather. Past 2 years the winters and summers were mild so my experience has been much better so far. Pool has been put to very good use during the hot summer days. We call it pool weather instead of summer :-)
- Beaches and mountains - Yes , no beaches or mountains here. But we visited beaches once in 3 months. I can easily afford a quick weekend getaway once 3 months to any where I like not just Orange-county with no financial impact considering the zero state taxes etc.
- Other expenses such as shopping, dining out etc,. are similar however Plano/Frisco areas have very good selection of restaurants.

The only negative I see, which has nothing to do with Texas is losing your old friends. My poker and sports friends are lost and nothing I can do about it. Being a newbie, it is not that easy to establish that kind of friends group which requires years of time investment.

Just my experiences. YMMV.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:36 PM

101 posts, read 138,533 times
I grew up in Plano and now that we are in Laguna, I say this to everyone: Irvine and Plano/Frisco are soooo similar!!!! I still like Plano better (more diverse population than Irvine). We're shopping for a house here in Laguna and everyone seems to be selling to move as part of the Toyota move. Enjoy Texas!

Old 07-09-2017, 06:39 PM

385 posts, read 319,913 times
I am currently a Plano resident and have lived here since 1992. I live in (what I call) "far" west Plano, that narrow sliver west of Dallas North Tollway. (East Plano is older, on east side of US 75).

I think it has been a good place to live but I think it was a better place to live. The population in North Texas has exploded over the past twenty years. Frisco is a case in point, which was a small town in 1992 but has over 150,000+ now.

With all this growth and development comes more traffic. If you try to take a "left" turn on a weekday morning out of our neighborhood, it ain't happening. An almost endless stream of cars from North Plano, Frisco, and further north clog not only DNT, but the N-S main thoroughfares (Midway, Preston, Hillcrest, Coit, etc.). Texas' only solution to the burgeoning traffic problem is to build more tollways.

A recent Dallas Morning News "business section" lamented that housing market "started" at $350,000 (I think this was for true for the broader Dallas area?) Our 2-story brick house was purchased for 175,000 in 1992, and according to Collin County appraisal district, is now worth 350,000. Many apartments have high rents. You may think rising home prices are great, but TX has the 7th highest property taxes among the 50 states. Don't look at absence of state income tax, look at the total tax burden in any given state. TX isn't horrible, but it is no longer the bargain it once was.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:42 PM

19,469 posts, read 17,695,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
I am currently a Plano resident and have lived here since 1992. I live in (what I call) "far" west Plano, that narrow sliver west of Dallas North Tollway. (East Plano is older, on east side of US 75).

I think it has been a good place to live but I think it was a better place to live. The population in North Texas has exploded over the past twenty years. Frisco is a case in point, which was a small town in 1992 but has over 150,000+ now.

With all this growth and development comes more traffic. If you try to take a "left" turn on a weekday morning out of our neighborhood, it ain't happening. An almost endless stream of cars from North Plano, Frisco, and further north clog not only DNT, but the N-S main thoroughfares (Midway, Preston, Hillcrest, Coit, etc.). Texas' only solution to the burgeoning traffic problem is to build more tollways.

A recent Dallas Morning News "business section" lamented that housing market "started" at $350,000 (I think this was for true for the broader Dallas area?) Our 2-story brick house was purchased for 175,000 in 1992, and according to Collin County appraisal district, is now worth 350,000. Many apartments have high rents. You may think rising home prices are great, but TX has the 7th highest property taxes among the 50 states. Don't look at absence of state income tax, look at the total tax burden in any given state. TX isn't horrible, but it is no longer the bargain it once was.
Currently as a percentage of income TX overall average tax burden is 34th or 35th in the country.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:31 AM

5,248 posts, read 6,331,190 times
Quote:
purchased for 175,000 in 1992, and according to Collin County appraisal district, is now worth 350,000.
Per the CPI inflation calculator, your house has barely beat inflation as $175 in 1992 would be $310 today. And that's after a basically huge run-up since 2007 and the city growing at a pretty healthy pace that entire time.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:21 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,061,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post

Excellent post. That is the reality for many North Texans. All the Californians flocking to North Texas keep bragging about how their quality of life has improved while most of those of us who were already here are lamenting how unliveable and unaffordable it has become since the flood of big companies and inflated salaried transplants from Califronia has hit North Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas