U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2021, 11:24 AM

5,170 posts, read 4,061,743 times

Advertisements

I've never been to a Publix or Wegman's, but I am aware of their reputations as high-quality regional grocers. Are they "upscale"? Because HEB, for all its positive press, isn't necessarily "upscale" in terms of price or merchandise. It's just considered as a normal suburban-type supermarket, but one that does a very good job at it, and emphasizes carrying Texas-made produce and products. A strength of the larger, "fancier" HEBs are its selection of prepared packaged take-and-bake meals.

Central Market (which is basically just in Austin and DFW) is HEB's "upscale" version of itself and is a very different creature from a regular or even "fancy" HEB. You can find some products at a regular HEB that are branded for Central Market, they are kind of higher-quality (and higher-priced) private label products as opposed to the Hill Country Fare or just HEB private labels.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 11:53 AM

8,215 posts, read 4,630,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I've never been to a Publix or Wegman's, but I am aware of their reputations as high-quality regional grocers. Are they "upscale"? Because HEB, for all its positive press, isn't necessarily "upscale" in terms of price or merchandise. It's just considered as a normal suburban-type supermarket, but one that does a very good job at it, and emphasizes carrying Texas-made produce and products. A strength of the larger, "fancier" HEBs are its selection of prepared packaged take-and-bake meals.

Central Market (which is basically just in Austin and DFW) is HEB's "upscale" version of itself and is a very different creature from a regular or even "fancy" HEB. You can find some products at a regular HEB that are branded for Central Market, they are kind of higher-quality (and higher-priced) private label products as opposed to the Hill Country Fare or just HEB private labels.
Been to Publix plenty of times. It’s nothing like Central Market. It’s definitely more in line with HEB. Never been to Wegmans (that I know of).

Old 03-24-2021, 12:01 PM

8,312 posts, read 4,847,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Been to Publix plenty of times. It’s nothing like Central Market. It’s definitely more in line with HEB. Never been to Wegmans (that I know of).
^^^This is correct.

The east coast doesn't really have an equivalent to Central Market.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:11 PM

8,215 posts, read 4,630,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post

CM has 2 locations in Austin... if they’re “essentially” only in one market, that would be DFW. Houston and Austin have more Whole Foods. Also better Whole Foods than those in DFW imo

Old 03-24-2021, 12:54 PM
JJG

13,613 posts, read 21,923,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
CM has 2 locations in Austin... if they’re “essentially” only in one market, that would be DFW. Houston and Austin have more Whole Foods. Also better Whole Foods than those in DFW imo
Yep.

7 locations around The Metroplex. I think North Dallas by itself has 3...

Old 03-24-2021, 02:59 PM

2,265 posts, read 1,373,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorrinRadd View Post
Not sure what you have out there but how doe HEB compare with Wegmans or Publix? Or are there other higher-end grocers there?

We had Krogers here until a couple years ago when they all became Harris Teeters or closed. The Krogers I went to were not high end but were clean and reasonable.
HEB is roughly equivalent to Publix, for sure. Anyone that is familiar with DC-area grocers, it's also pretty similar to Giant. All very good stores.

Wegman's on the other hand is far and away better than all of these imo. They're definitely a more high-end grocer and have far better stores. The one I used to go to in Northern VA had a two-floor cafe, a huge rare/exotic cheese collection, a wine tasting room and wine cellar, a massive bakery (with some very interesting offerings far and above the typical cakes and pastries you get from grocery store bakeries) and overall a better selection than essentially any other grocery store I've ever been to. It's honestly the best grocery store I've been to in the US.

Their problem is they don't have very many locations even in the areas they are in, and are slow to expand. I don't see them coming to Texas anytime soon, if ever, unfortunately.

Old 03-24-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
HEB is roughly equivalent to Publix, for sure. Anyone that is familiar with DC-area grocers, it's also pretty similar to Giant. All very good stores.

Wegman's on the other hand is far and away better than all of these imo. They're definitely a more high-end grocer and have far better stores. The one I used to go to in Northern VA had a two-floor cafe, a huge rare/exotic cheese collection, a wine tasting room and wine cellar, a massive bakery (with some very interesting offerings far and above the typical cakes and pastries you get from grocery store bakeries) and overall a better selection than essentially any other grocery store I've ever been to. It's honestly the best grocery store I've been to in the US.

Their problem is they don't have very many locations even in the areas they are in, and are slow to expand. I don't see them coming to Texas anytime soon, if ever, unfortunately.
To be honest, I'd place them in the following tiers:

Wegmans > H-E-B

H-E-B > Publix

Publix has issues too that it falls short of how good H-E-B is.

*They don't rotate their vegetables as often

*Many of their baked good aren't prepared in store (definitely more than Kroger & Walmart, but not all of them like H-E-B).

*They're more expensive than both Kroger and Walmart (priced more like Tom Thumb or Albertsons)

*Their store brand is Kroger-tier quality

*They don't have as sophisicated of a logistic system as H-E-B. For example, in H-E-B, the clerks can look on a hand held device to see if a product is in stock. Publix isn't using this technology in the stores I've been to.

That said, Publix' stores are generally modern & well-lit. They also have customer service on-par with H-E-B. They're also pretty good at having a ton of registers open when the store's busy.

Old 03-24-2021, 04:46 PM

2,265 posts, read 1,373,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
To be honest, I'd place them in the following tiers:

Wegmans > H-E-B

H-E-B > Publix

Publix has issues too that it falls short of how good H-E-B is.

*They don't rotate their vegetables as often

*Many of their baked good aren't prepared in store (definitely more than Kroger & Walmart, but not all of them like H-E-B).

*They're more expensive than both Kroger and Walmart (priced more like Tom Thumb or Albertsons)

*Their store brand is Kroger-tier quality

*They don't have as sophisicated of a logistic system as H-E-B. For example, in H-E-B, the clerks can look on a hand held device to see if a product is in stock. Publix isn't using this technology in the stores I've been to.

That said, Publix' stores are generally modern & well-lit. They also have customer service on-par with H-E-B. They're also pretty good at having a ton of registers open when the store's busy.
That's fair. I don't have as much experience at Publix, I just always go there when I'm in Florida. They're definitely solid.

I can't think of the last time I've been in an Albertsons. Tom Thumb reminds me of Safeway (but a bit better) and Randalls.

I'd say something like:

Wegmans
HEB
Publix, Kroger
Randalls, Albertsons, Tom Thumb
Safeway, Walmart

Old 03-24-2021, 04:48 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,389,903 times
My experience with Publix is seasonal as we shop there when we visit the beautiful beaches of FL. I find it to be well stocked, clean, friendly, and expensive. That is prob in part to being a "beach town." Market Street here in Colleyville is well stocked and clean, and the young folks that work there are nice, and it's expensive. HEB at most locations manages to be the whole package, unless you are in a small un-updated store. In my husband's hometown the employees are sweet but it's just a subpar location.

Old 03-24-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
That's fair. I don't have as much experience at Publix, I just always go there when I'm in Florida. They're definitely solid.

I can't think of the last time I've been in an Albertsons. Tom Thumb reminds me of Safeway (but a bit better) and Randalls.

I'd say something like:

Wegmans
HEB
Publix, Kroger
Randalls, Albertsons, Tom Thumb
Safeway, Walmart
Publix is definitely better than Kroger (I'd say similar to Market Street). And I'd put Kroger on the same tier as the Albertsons grocers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas