Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2021, 06:51 PM

1,022 posts, read 857,332 times

Advertisements

I just gotta say, I love this conversation thread

Texas is so loyal to their brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 06:51 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,218,505 times
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't really get the HEB hype...I've shopped there on occasion and I honestly don't think it is anything to write home about...I mean slightly above average, but nothing super special.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:54 PM

6,478 posts, read 7,430,380 times
^^ HEB is fine, prices are decent, but its overcrowded like WalMarts and Costcos. To much of a hassle to get in and out of most.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:15 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,384,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
This is not my experience. In lots of places, Wal-Mart is still the store it was in the 1980s, with a small food section and crowded, junky aisles.
Huh? Houston has fully transitioned to the Supercenter model. That's why the grocery section can compete with traditional grocery stores (unlike Target). DFW still has plenty of the older, smaller Wal-Marts around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
^^ HEB is fine, prices are decent, but its overcrowded like WalMarts and Costcos. To much of a hassle to get in and out of most.
Wouldn't say Walmart is overcrowded. But Costco, hands-down on weekends!!!

Randalls is dying and the new 2-story H-E-Bs inside the 610 Loop are the death knell for Randalls in the Houston area. They are only available in the few neighborhoods where they hold a near-monopoly because Kroger and/or H-E-B is further away. Pecan Grove, near Richmond, is a good example of a Randalls still hanging-on.

Kroger is still very popular in Houston, despite the H-E-B diehards insisting the opposite. Randalls was a little more expensive than Kroger or H-E-B under Safeway. Albertsons raised the prices a little more after the merger.

If H-E-B is coming to the Metroplex, it will merely switch places (albeit slowly) with Tom Thumb/Albertsons. H-E-B offers a different branding and shopping experience than Tom Thumb. But Kroger still operates in both metros.

Old 03-15-2021, 08:26 PM

9,735 posts, read 6,367,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Huh? Houston has fully transitioned to the Supercenter model. That's why the grocery section can compete with traditional grocery stores (unlike Target). DFW still has plenty of the older, smaller Wal-Marts around?

Walmart’s everywhere suck

Old 03-15-2021, 09:45 PM

5,581 posts, read 4,844,606 times
One other thing I think that gets HEB more love is that for their "fancy" stores, they have sometimes gone through a "design process" that has involved the community. At least the Montrose one got its fame for that even before it opened. Before that, the Buffalo Speedway one was similarly known. And HEB has been out front in Houston with the 2-story models and the Buffalo Heights store that's in a vertical mixed-use development. When it wants to be, HEB can be practically Whole Foods level in terms of urbanism. For some folks, that wins a lot of points.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:00 PM

9,735 posts, read 6,367,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
One other thing I think that gets HEB more love is that for their "fancy" stores, they have sometimes gone through a "design process" that has involved the community. At least the Montrose one got its fame for that even before it opened. Before that, the Buffalo Speedway one was similarly known. And HEB has been out front in Houston with the 2-story models and the Buffalo Heights store that's in a vertical mixed-use development. When it wants to be, HEB can be practically Whole Foods level in terms of urbanism. For some folks, that wins a lot of points.
Where are these "non fancy" stores you mention? I don't see them anymore. Most of the outdated ones I saw growing up have either been replaced or remodeled.

Speaking of, HEB has another gourmet deemed "HEB Fresh"

Old 03-15-2021, 11:59 PM

4,420 posts, read 6,238,808 times
Always will be a Kroger shopper here.

Old 03-16-2021, 09:53 AM

5,581 posts, read 4,844,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Where are these "non fancy" stores you mention? I don't see them anymore. Most of the outdated ones I saw growing up have either been replaced or remodeled.

Speaking of, HEB has another gourmet deemed "HEB Fresh"
A number of their suburban stores are definitely "nice" but don't have that "high design" quality I was getting at. Even their Bunker Hill and Royal Oaks stores, while certainly "nice" and ultra-busy, aren't anything special design-wise.

You're right in that HEB doesn't do "dumpy" anymore.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:44 AM

5,250 posts, read 6,337,101 times
Quote:
DFW still has plenty of the older, smaller Wal-Marts around?

No it does not, but plenty of other states do, which is why people get confused when Texans say they do their grocery shopping at WalMart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas