Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 03:15 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,025,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
La Michoacana is king these days.
Fiesta on Airline was dominant for many years. Where do you see large scale La Michoacana stores? The only ones I’m aware of are little meat markets, nothing that would compete with HEB or Kroger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 06:39 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Fiesta on Airline was dominant for many years. Where do you see large scale La Michoacana stores? The only ones I’m aware of are little meat markets, nothing that would compete with HEB or Kroger.
There’s a few. They’re called “La Michoacana super market”. Of the ones I’ve been to, one in Gulfton and one in Baytown. They don’t do a very good job of distinguishing which is which on their website or Google. But they post some of their supermarket sized store openings on their Instagram. Other than that, if you search up “nearest Michoacana”, it could range from a small convenience store to a full scale super market to anything in between. They need to fix that

Old 03-28-2021, 11:56 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
In Houston you have to drive to the far west side to get to all of the great international markets. Whether it is Houston Katy or sugar land it is still far from the central cotre just like Dallas having their international market on the north side. But yes Houston still win the international market competition. However, I think the Mitsuwa in Plano does the metroplex wonders

Never ben to Mitsuwa - is it similar to H-Mart? Better? Bigger?
I know that H-Mart is Chinese and Mistuwa us Japanese, but how those stores compare?

And I agree, there aren't many International stores in Dallas, just small ethnic stores. Plano area has many Russian, but not general European. I am still exploring...

Old 03-28-2021, 12:03 PM

937 posts, read 2,907,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Never ben to Mitsuwa - is it similar to H-Mart? Better? Bigger?
I know that H-Mart is Chinese and Mistuwa us Japanese, but how those stores compare?

And I agree, there aren't many International stores in Dallas, just small ethnic stores. Plano area has many Russian, but not general European. I am still exploring...
HMart is Korean. HMART is a larger store. You can find some Japanese items at Mitsuwa that you cannot at HMart.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:21 PM

Oops, yes, yes! Of course it's Korean!

BTW: anyone who is familiar with the Fiesta in Katy, TX can recommend a Fiesta in Dallas that has a good selection of European goods?
I went to the one in Plano, but it seems to have just Hispanic stuff.
Same question for Austin location.

Last edited by elnina; 03-28-2021 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-28-2021, 01:25 PM

Some of the grocery store wars background is highlighted here:
https://www.retailwatchers.com/viewtopic.php?t=1580
Yeah, it's 3 years old and now HEB is actually happening.

Old 03-28-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Oops, yes, yes! Of course it's Korean!

BTW: anyone who is familiar with the Fiesta in Katy, TX can recommend a Fiesta in Dallas that has a good selection of European goods?
I went to the one in Plano, but it seems to have just Hispanic stuff.
Same question for Austin location.
Fiesta has apparently tried to rebrand their stores to be full on international. Supposively, the one in Chinatown carries Chinese groceries. But I haven’t been yet

Old 03-28-2021, 04:47 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times
Curious why HEB would ignore food deserts in southern Dallas (that are technically closer to the existing distribution centers) with little competition and push into Plano & Frisco......two places that really don't need MORE grocery stores.

Feel like they should have aimed for Dallas proper first and then expanded. Their warehouses/centers are south anyway, right? The Frisco/Plano allure was that strong that they just HAD to make that move?

Old 03-28-2021, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Curious why HEB would ignore food deserts in southern Dallas (that are technically closer to the existing distribution centers) with little competition and push into Plano & Frisco......two places that really don't need MORE grocery stores.

Feel like they should have aimed for Dallas proper first and then expanded. Their warehouses/centers are south anyway, right? The Frisco/Plano allure was that strong that they just HAD to make that move?
The current trend for new brands to enter new market is start in the suburbs and expand inward. Does it matter if it’s HEB, Academy, 7-Eleven, QuikTrip etc. The suburbs are the current trend to establish in a market.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:45 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Quote:
The current trend for new brands to enter new market is start in the suburbs and expand inward. Does it matter if it’s HEB, Academy, 7-Eleven, QuikTrip etc. The suburbs are the current trend to establish in a market.
That, plus I think HEB is trying to make sure it gets identified as acceptable to certain income demographic for branding purposes, since they upscaled their image in the 2000s (again, not that they're actually an "upscale" store). Those of us who are South or SE TX natives or who have lived there a long time aren't who they are concerned with; it's the DFW lifers or new relocatees from outside TX they need to convince. It could do that in either upscale urban parts of Dallas or Plano / Frisco-type suburbs, but sites in the latter are cheaper and thus less risky a move. So, it makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas