Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2017, 09:45 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times

Advertisements

My brother and Mom, and Niece and other family live in Sherman. I'm close to retiring and thinking of moving to North Texas to be closer to my Mom as she ages. Then return to Austin eventually.

I don't want to seem snobbish, but Sherman is a bit "working class" for me. I currently live in downtown Austin and enjoy walkability and a certain amount of "Urban" energy, good coffee shops to walk to, restaurants, entertainment, an urban running/biking trail around Town Lake, etc. (And there is a lot I don't like also, such as the congestion and some of the hipster people, tourists, etc)

Is McKinney the furthest north toward Sherman where a lifestyle even approaching a reasonable facsimile of an Urban "lock and leave" condo lifestyle can be had? And still not be too far from an airport that flies Southwest?

I can ask some of my Realtor friends in McKinney but I find that non-Realtors often have as good or better insight into the nooks and crannies of areas.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 10:09 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
Yep, that's about it :/

The good news is you might really enjoy the area around downtown McKinney. It's really charming

Old 07-09-2017, 10:12 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Yeah, that's it.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:36 PM

786 posts, read 1,221,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
My brother and Mom, and Niece and other family live in Sherman. I'm close to retiring and thinking of moving to North Texas to be closer to my Mom as she ages. Then return to Austin eventually.

I don't want to seem snobbish, but Sherman is a bit "working class" for me. I currently live in downtown Austin and enjoy walkability and a certain amount of "Urban" energy, good coffee shops to walk to, restaurants, entertainment, an urban running/biking trail around Town Lake, etc. (And there is a lot I don't like also, such as the congestion and some of the hipster people, tourists, etc)

Is McKinney the furthest north toward Sherman where a lifestyle even approaching a reasonable facsimile of an Urban "lock and leave" condo lifestyle can be had? And still not be too far from an airport that flies Southwest?

I can ask some of my Realtor friends in McKinney but I find that non-Realtors often have as good or better insight into the nooks and crannies of areas.

Steve
McKinney is nice, but I don't think McKinney offers a true "lock & leave" urban lifestyle. It's also challenging to get from that area to Love Field during peak traffic times.

From what you described in your post, it almost seems like to really get what you want, you'd have to go further South or just live in Dallas proper.

I will say the McKinney Square is awesome. Lots of quaint shops and local restaurants. It's a true historic square.

Outside the square, what McKinney is going to offer are standard suburban amenities and homes like any N Texas exurb. Many of these same chain stores are in Sherman as well now, so the only real benefit to McKinney is you're closer to areas you might like that you could drive to thank you would be in Grayson County.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:14 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,170,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

Steve
The closest urbanish area with nature park and trails nearby is Shops@Legacy and Austin Ranch. Since you are temporarily moving to Sherman to be near your mom, these areas are still too far. Look at Watters Creek in Allen near McKinney.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:17 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,776,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
The closest urbanish area with nature park and trails nearby is Shops@Legacy and Austin Ranch. Since you are temporarily moving to Sherman to be near your mom, these areas are still too far. Look at Watters Creek in Allen near McKinney.
Watters Creek is like living in a mall (literally). It is completely un-urban in any reasonable use of the word. Downtown McKinney is certainly not Austin, but given the desire to be close to Sherman, it seems like the best compromise other than living somewhere in Dallas and having an awful drive up Central for every trip up to Sherman. I can't possibly see making the case to live in Allen vs McKinney's downtown area given what OP has said.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:48 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Thanks for the replies. It confirms what I expected.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:52 AM

420 posts, read 403,048 times
Steve,

I'd take a long look at Plano along Central Expwy (either East or West). Might add 15 minutes to the Sherman drive, which is against traffic, but you'll find a lot more of what you're looking for.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:11 AM

436 posts, read 578,631 times
Lock and Leave communities would be the townhouse communities in Fairview and McKinney. Fairview community Villas in the Park is walking distance to Village at Fairview, which has movie theater, bowling alley, JCP, Dillards, Macys, a few other shops and restaurants. Wooded Creek by Grenadier Homes is under construction and a similar concept to Villas in the Park. All of the landscaping and external maintenance is done by the HOA at Villas in the Park and it is a tight knit community where the neighbors look out for each other. You don't have to paint, plant, mow, weed, water, clean the gutters, fix the roof, replace the skylight or anything on the exterior.

It is 37 minutes to Sherman from Fairview and 37 minutes to Love Field, non-rush hour traffic of course. There are other similar communities in McKinney as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: