Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 11:34 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times

Advertisements

Is it just me, the humidity, or do people simply don't take short walks around town in the suburbs? I was in Plano, Carrollton, and Richardson this weekend and saw practically nobody out except at the shopping centers. In places like California and Michigan where i lived, it's pretty common to see pedestrians even in car dependent areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 11:37 AM

422 posts, read 542,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Is it just me, the humidity, or do people simply don't take short walks around town in the suburbs? I was in Plano, Carrollton, and Richardson this weekend and saw practically nobody out except at the shopping centers. In places like California and Michigan where i lived, it's pretty common to see pedestrians even in car dependent areas.

I've hardly seen anyone in my neighborhood the last couple months, just too hot too be walking around leisurely, at least after mid morning that is.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:50 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,410,278 times
There are people out.

Kids starting to practice football. Some people riding bikes.

The track I walk on was crowded the other day. That's not common at all, even when the weather is nice.

Plano & Richardson neighborhoods are pretty self-contained, so unless you are in them, you wouldn't see that many people. You don't see many people walking along the major arterial streets because those are inhospitable locations for walking. Too loud and dangerous with 40+mph traffic.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:00 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
There are plenty of people walking for exercise in Richardson, they just do it early in the morning when it's not so hot.

It's too hot to walk for any other reason. I do errands on foot sometimes but not when it's this hot.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:01 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,750,870 times
I don't even know where you are going. There are always people walking in my neighborhood and there's always folks on N Murphy Rd heading to the school, the parks, the community center or the Marketplace. Even this week when it's been hot

Old 07-25-2017, 12:49 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,818,804 times
People walk for exercise. They do not walk to the store or restaurants, for the most part. That's what a car is for.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:50 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,176,978 times
Are you in the neighborhoods or driving around the cities? I pass no less than 5-6 people/couples per morning when I am leaving my house and driving through the neighborhood. They are out walking their dogs, jogging, etc. I usually see less people on my way home, but there is at least one person jogging and there is a park down the street with kids practicing football, soccer, whatever.

When the weather is nice, my husband and I will walk around the neighborhood with the kids in tow. They are young, so it's too hot to get them out right now unless it's really early.

But back to my point, no, I hardly ever see people just strolling down Legacy (in Frisco) or Eldorado. Those are major roads in Frisco. Sometimes I'll see kids riding bikes to the QT. That being said, I don't really have anywhere to walk to. The closest grocery store/gas station is probably a mile away.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:56 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,573,491 times
It's such a pleasant time of year for walking.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:04 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,085,257 times
Compared to California/Michigan, no, people just don't walk much around here. Not for point A to B transportation.

The few people you'll see doing that are working out or walking dogs and that's all year. The numbers may uptick when its less hot but its still not many.

We dont have much in the way of pedestrians especially in suburbs. The lack of places where you can go without a car( e.g small corner shops not in strip malls) doesn't help. But then again, people drive to the park and library around here and those that dare walk try their best not to be mowed down by fast moving traffic.

The roadways aren't designed to encourage that.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:37 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,178,617 times
I've noticed that people walk 6-8 in morning and 7-10 in evening, hardly few brave hearts walk around in this scorching heat. People just drive to places. You should also count the factor that schools are out so good number of families are vacationing in cooler areas or kids are at summer camps, ones who are here, opt for indoor activities during day time.

In my neck of the woods, walking and playing in parks mostly happens from fall to early summer, minus few weeks of harsh winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: