Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 10:41 AM

455 posts, read 578,681 times

Advertisements

When we moved to Dallas 12 years ago it was the cost of living that was important. We were able to deal with everything else. Once the cost of living went away, we were like the hell with this.

Dallas isn't a bad place, its not great either. Its just ok, but is so not worth what it costs today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 10:56 AM

242 posts, read 433,119 times
They will really need to watch out for the mesquite-os. Thanks, I'm here all week

Old 07-17-2017, 01:32 PM

87 posts, read 95,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
We actually just moved from Dallas to Seattle, got sick of the high cost of living that gives you pretty much nothing.

Figured if we were gonna be broke, might as well be broke near mountains and the ocean.

Now instead of spending a Saturday out shopping or something, we are playing in the water and hiking. Also enjoy the 100 dollar electric bill for June vs my 400 plus we used to have.
What do you mean you got sick of the high cost of living... i thought Seattle was High, and Dallas was affordable?! Yeah.. love the hiking around here..

Old 07-17-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
OP, my parents are just like you. My husband and I moved our 2 young children "away" from them and the rest of our family in So Cal to DFW. They'll never forgive us for it and made our lives a living hell in many ways for a long time. They also wish we would fail but unfortunately for them, failure is not an option for us.

We tried to buy a house in CA for years, tried to maintain a decent lifestyle and tried to fit in. And when I say "decent lifestyle" I mean being in a safe place to live and that's it. We didn't have new cars or even car payments- we bought used cars with cash we saved for a long time. We didn't have designer clothes or fancy baby stuff, like the $600 strollers our friends had. Our vacations consisted of going camping for next to nothing while most people we knew were heading to Cancun and Disney World. We had no debt, my husband made solid money and we still could not afford to live where we were born and raised without accepting massive amounts of money from family. The people we knew who were doing all of that fancy stuff mentioned above were living paycheck to paycheck and were in massive debt. You see, in CA, that's an accepted and EXPECTED way to live.

Sound familiar? I have a feeling that it may ring a bell or two.

You know, being in the situation of not being able to afford a good life for your family is awful. That's what I don't believe many parents of adult children realize- they already had the opportunity to build lives on much less money and were able to live in the cities/areas that are now pricing their grown children out of the market. What are those grown children with families of their own supposed to do? Sink into debt? Live in crappy neighborhoods and be vulnerable? Make good money but still know that it's NEVER enough? Always ask their parents for financial assistance? We're supposed to compromise our own lives so you older parents can be grandparents at a closer range?

Is it hard as hell to leave your extended family and everything you know behind? Without question. But you know what's worse? Looking into your children's faces and knowing that you aren't providing them with the best lives that you could be giving them. Sorry, OP, but that trumps your need, and every other grandparent's need, to be able to see their grandchildren whenever they feel like it.

I came from "beautiful" So Cal and I can honestly say that I am much happier and content here. A lot of people comment on how ugly DFW is but I don't think so. It is so GREEN to me- I was used to concrete and dry, desert-like stuff everywhere and here I can be driving and up pops a field or a meadow and huge expanses of wild grass and the like. Trees are plentiful; the crepe myrtles are blooming like crazy right now. I'm not talking about downtown because, come on, what city's downtown ISN'T full of concrete and bricks? And even then I think that downtown FW and Dallas are much more ascetically pleasing than the downtown's of where I was from. The history of Texas is celebrated and the pride in the state is much more evident and I love that. People tend to take more care when pride is involved.

OP, your response to your daughter moving is natural enough but it isn't helpful or constructive. I suggest you get on board and start practicing flexibility because guess what? The world does not begin and end in WA. Good luck.
Thanx! You are so awesome to take the time. I totally get you, what you are saying, and you are so right..It's just soo difficult.. I just need to suck it up.. Thankfully i have a decent job that i will be able to travel to visit, and have even applied for a few jobs already out that way.. Once again, thank for taking the time.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanByMarriage View Post
Giiiirl!

I can't relate to such financial differences, but makes total sense. The previous generation grew up not ever having that situation, where it's not booming everywhere and economy is always growing.

And moving away from your established life and family is many times harder than staying put and seeing them leave. This is (most likely) not an easy decision for the family moving.
No, i'm sure that it isn't..

Old 07-17-2017, 01:39 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
Quote:
When we moved to Dallas 12 years ago it was the cost of living that was important. We were able to deal with everything else. Once the cost of living went away, we were like the hell with this.

Dallas isn't a bad place, its not great either. Its just ok, but is so not worth what it costs today.
Whatcha talkin' about Willis?

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l.../north-america

Cost of Living (July 2017):
--
10th Seattle, Washington Price Index:197
--
28th Dallas, Texas Price Index:167

Old 07-17-2017, 02:55 PM

You can look at all the charts you want, doesn't change the skyrocketing taxes, home costs, tolls and everything else.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:19 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Whatcha talkin' about Willis?

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l.../north-america

Cost of Living (July 2017):
--
10th Seattle, Washington Price Index:197
--
28th Dallas, Texas Price Index:167
Besides the house, what else is cheaper in Dallas? You will pay more property tax, pay more for electricity,etc

Old 07-17-2017, 04:08 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
You can look at all the charts you want, doesn't change the skyrocketing taxes, home costs, tolls and everything else.
Listen. You should stop. Your numbers are bad/wrong and you are working off of emotion and feelings. You've proved this time after time.

The charts utterly prove you are wrong.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:34 PM

There are some emotions going on that is for sure. DFW isn't the same place.

I came to DFW at age 24 and on a modest income was able to build a new house in Frisco. No way I could afford my first house if I was 24 now. Heck even now years later with my career in a much better place I would be questioning if I could afford it.

And it looks like its only going to get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas