Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 02:35 PM

692 posts, read 854,908 times

Advertisements

Grand Prairie public schools are actually very good, IF, and ONLY if, you make sure that your students are "tracked high" no matter what their level of academic success. They won't satisfy the oikophobes who dominate the Dallas forum, but for a general education where Ivy-Leage admittance and credentialing *aren't* an obsession, they are absolutely adequate to the purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 04:04 PM

455 posts, read 578,191 times
People in TX pretend to like you then talk about you behind your back.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:48 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
People in TX pretend to like you then talk about you behind your back.
That's not a Texas thing, it's a Southern thing. It's rampant in small towns.

I suspect that's why Southerners think Northerners are rude, because they are blunt and honest to someone's face.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:24 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
Grand Prairie public schools are actually very good, IF, and ONLY if, you make sure that your students are "tracked high" no matter what their level of academic success. They won't satisfy the oikophobes who dominate the Dallas forum, but for a general education where Ivy-Leage admittance and credentialing *aren't* an obsession, they are absolutely adequate to the purpose.
Interesting use of the word "oikophobe" there. I personally am not afraid of my household contents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
That's not a Texas thing, it's a Southern thing. It's rampant in small towns.

I suspect that's why Southerners think Northerners are rude, because they are blunt and honest to someone's face.
I love that about Northerners.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:37 AM

5 posts, read 7,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
My guess is with some phone calls, emails and a couple of interviews you could probably arrange a job in advance of moving. Experienced Millwright and especially IM work is really in demand around here.
Really? That much in demand? Out here they're absolutely hurting to get qualified/experienced millwrights but do little to retain them. I've witnessed 6 leave for other states since I relocated last year. I haven't pulled the trigger yet on applying due to giving the NW a chance. Any more months of gray may help make my mind up a lot faster.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:48 AM

5 posts, read 7,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_storm2004 View Post
Texas is an absolute winner when it comes to the people. Calling them fantastic, is an understatement. There are mean people out there for sure. But there would be always a few around everywhere. The numbers are negligible. Weather-wise, i would say stick to the grey. Its not good here.

I myself am torn about it. Want to leave because of the heat and no proper winter. But then i think, where will i find people like this? Oh the dilemma!

About alternatives: Come to Richardson, we got cookies!
The funny thing I've experienced about the small town of 5000 people I live in is they are friendly and welcoming. That is if you're only passing through. Buy a home out here and boom! People are negative. They think because you had to spend a little extra to get a decent home, you're well-to-do, rich, snobby, or downright loaded. There's tons of people that have their own groups and stick with them. No outsiders, no transplants, nothing.

I live for the Spring storms in Midwest. The winter out here has been 5 months of rain, ice, snow, and misery. I lived in Vegas for 20 years before moving to Oregon and well, there's zero heat out here. I thrive in 100 degree temps. Before Vegas, we lived in El Paso and Columbus, GA so the humidity isn't an issue. But you have cookies so we're good!

Old 07-24-2017, 09:55 AM

19,770 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmesLag View Post
Really? That much in demand? Out here they're absolutely hurting to get qualified/experienced millwrights but do little to retain them. I've witnessed 6 leave for other states since I relocated last year. I haven't pulled the trigger yet on applying due to giving the NW a chance. Any more months of gray may help make my mind up a lot faster.
DFW sports lots of manufacturing IM is crucial for that. DFW also sports all manner of warehousing and a large number of refrigerated warehouses ice cream, frozen foods etc. As you know the required compressors use ammonia as refrigerant and those things have to run perfectly with no big leaks or everyone around dies.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:06 PM

645 posts, read 834,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmesLag View Post
The funny thing I've experienced about the small town of 5000 people I live in is they are friendly and welcoming. That is if you're only passing through. Buy a home out here and boom! People are negative. They think because you had to spend a little extra to get a decent home, you're well-to-do, rich, snobby, or downright loaded. There's tons of people that have their own groups and stick with them. No outsiders, no transplants, nothing.

I live for the Spring storms in Midwest. The winter out here has been 5 months of rain, ice, snow, and misery. I lived in Vegas for 20 years before moving to Oregon and well, there's zero heat out here. I thrive in 100 degree temps. Before Vegas, we lived in El Paso and Columbus, GA so the humidity isn't an issue. But you have cookies so we're good!
Might be. I do not interact with my neighbors that much. Coz basically my time and my neighbors times do not match. Work, gym and come home, by then all my neighbors are asleep. And the age gap. I am 32, single homeowner, all my neighbors are 60+, married, kids, grand kids etc...! So i dont really fit in. But doesn't matter, I am transplant too. But i got all my friends through bars, and i have enjoyed their company absolutely. Of course, i say this, coz i do not have much experience with the northern people. I would assume, some of the cosmopolitan cities in the north east would be far more welcoming. I do not have any idea about north west.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:05 AM

692 posts, read 854,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Interesting use of the word "oikophobe" there. I personally am not afraid of my household contents.
But there's certainly an irrational terror regarding homes on this forum, you must admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I love that about Northerners.
You've clearly never been to Minnesota. The Upper Midwest makes Southern "nice to your face, stilettos from the rear" look like absolute amateurs -- with a truckload of passive-aggressive thrown in for good measure.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:30 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
But there's certainly an irrational terror regarding homes on this forum, you must admit.
I think there's an irrational terror of living outside of certain suburbs, maybe.

Quote:
You've clearly never been to Minnesota. The Upper Midwest makes Southern "nice to your face, stilettos from the rear" look like absolute amateurs -- with a truckload of passive-aggressive thrown in for good measure.
Correct, I've never been to Minnesota. You make it sound so lovely.

When I say "Northerners" I'm referring to Pennsylvania, New York, and the whole of New England. I adore how blunt they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas