Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 07:07 PM

317 posts, read 840,634 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm looking for the most affordable way to move out of state from TX to seattle. I've some research but there is a lot of vendors out there. Do you guys have any recommendations on people to use or know of any ways to cut the cost as much as possible?

we need someone to ship our items and also have a car to ship
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 10:19 PM

10 posts, read 9,381 times
lol same here

Old 07-21-2017, 07:08 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
You'll save a ton of money by having someone load up a U-Haul/Penske truck, but you drive the truck.

It cost me less than $800 to move from DFW to Chicago. I had movers for 2hr at both places found on movinghelp.com. They usually charge $50-100/hr. The truck price depends on time of year and location.

But this probably isn't an option if you have large amount of stuff to move.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:10 AM

216 posts, read 280,427 times
This was three years ago but when I was moving from Connecticut to Texas I think it was actually cheaper or I was close to breaking even by using U-Pack. Basically with U-Pack they drop off a cargo-trailer/pod at your location and they transport it to your city. I paid around $3,000 to move the contents of a 1,800 sq foot house. I remember at the time the Uhaul was going to be around $1,600 or $1,700 (for some reason it was more expensive using the truck from the NE to Texas versus the other way around) and the gas was easily going to be around $1,200 so that could be an option. Also, I liked this option more because I hated driving that huge truck with my car attached to it. I felt like I was going to drive off the cliff when I was driving through the Smokey Mountains.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:54 AM

455 posts, read 578,681 times
We just moved from DFW to Seattle, I shopped around different moving companies. Finally found the best deal, then we packed up our house. The truck came and loaded the truck with our furniture and boxes, then they made it to Seattle about a week later and unloaded the truck and put everything back together.

Once thing to check is that the prices change depending on the time of year you move, it can cost or save you thousands.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:56 PM

317 posts, read 840,634 times
Thanks guys. I'm comparing Upack and traditional van lines and I'm seeing the cost is similar, so I might want to just get a van line to do all the work of loading and unloading.

One issue I'm having trouble is how to best estimate the cost. The movers gave me an estimate +/- based either on weight or on cubic feet. They give me an estimate and they say it will be more or less depending on how much space or weight I take. I understand that, but I still want to know how much I should expect to spend. Is there a way to guesstimate the size of my items, in cubic feet, or guess the weight?

Old 07-21-2017, 08:08 PM

455 posts, read 578,681 times
I sent you a message from a move we just had from DFW to Seattle.

BTW Seattle is awesome!! Taxes are so much cheaper now!! we are loving it here.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:26 PM

446 posts, read 846,300 times
You may also want to post it on uship. Many of the companies there will give you a flat rate. I've used it 2x for long distance moves and have had a great experience. We used these guys and had an excellent experience (PA to TX): D AND A MOVERS & TRANSPORTATION LLC - Orangeburg, South Carolina | Get Quotes for Transport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: