Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:13 PM

6 posts, read 19,856 times

Advertisements

unless you like poor air quality and horrible rentals, Dallas is not for you! We moved here and it was a HUGE mistake. My son has been sick with Asthma attacks and allergies ever since our move here. I have been very sick also, actually lost my voice for a month for no explainable reason other than smog!
Not to mention the homes have foundation problems. The foundations are not made properly for the clay soil and will crack and cause very expensive repair costs to you in the future. So real estate is not an investment here.
The only thing I can say I love about here is our schools, but we DO NOT live IN Dallas. Dallas ISD is terrible.
I would move to Seattle if I were in your shoes!

Old 03-14-2008, 07:19 PM

493 posts, read 636,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirl72 View Post
unless you like poor air quality and horrible rentals, Dallas is not for you! We moved here and it was a HUGE mistake. My son has been sick with Asthma attacks and allergies ever since our move here. I have been very sick also, actually lost my voice for a month for no explainable reason other than smog!
Not to mention the homes have foundation problems. The foundations are not made properly for the clay soil and will crack and cause very expensive repair costs to you in the future. So real estate is not an investment here.
The only thing I can say I love about here is our schools, but we DO NOT live IN Dallas. Dallas ISD is terrible.
I would move to Seattle if I were in your shoes!
We are talking about moving as a newcomer to a city...where you'd probably be in small city apartment dwelling...contemplating getting a bigger domicile as you grow at your job...where exactly do you live in Dallas? The city or neighboring communities...I'm sure there is a suburb which would not have the atmospheric blunders that Dallas might...I'm sure if Dallas is bad...then any large city will be bad...I'm gonna try and move to Los Angeles...and I think we all know what the story is with LA's air...I don't have any breathing conditions...though

Old 03-14-2008, 09:15 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,067,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
We are talking about moving as a newcomer to a city...where you'd probably be in small city apartment dwelling...contemplating getting a bigger domicile as you grow at your job...where exactly do you live in Dallas? The city or neighboring communities...I'm sure there is a suburb which would not have the atmospheric blunders that Dallas might...I'm sure if Dallas is bad...then any large city will be bad...I'm gonna try and move to Los Angeles...and I think we all know what the story is with LA's air...I don't have any breathing conditions...though
Perhaps the previous poster with a breathing problem suffered from a personal, rather than generic, problem. Dallas does not have 6 million asthmatics. I have never known anyone here who had a serious breathing problem... but of course someone with severe local allergies and/or breathing difficulties would move away.

Floridagirl72, you are assuming the original poster will have the same problems you have. Do you believe that everyone else is affected the way you are? I know I'm not. If the local environment does not treat you well, you should move... health is more important than anything you gain by being here. Good luck.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I'm not sure I'd call it "public rudeness", it's just the way people from northern regions, for example Scandinavia are expected to behave. Seattle historically had a large Scandinavian population and cultural influences can last for a very long time.

Having said that, I understand why behavior that is common in places like Seattle and Scandinavia would be considered rude in places like Texas...
I don't know anyone from Seattle, and so I can't venture a personal opinion about their behavior, but if they are similar to Portland people, I wouldn't be able to stand them.

I hope you're not trying to excuse the behavior of people who dismiss the feelings of others, and are indifferent to the offense they create. If people there are as non-confrontational as some claim they are, then they can get away with giving offense, at least to each other. I'd suggest to them that they develop some empathy if they ever move out of their region. People in Texas have no compunctions about confronting insensitive jerks.

When my daughter married a Portland boy, the groom's family completely shunned me and my daughter's mom. A server in a restaurant actually ridiculed my pronunciation of something. New residents in the city actively talk about how hard it is to get to know local people, they are so standoffish. The only decent one of them I ever found was my ex-son-in-law.

If Scandinavians are anything like that, I vow to never find myself there.

But think about it. Why would Seattle have message boards where newcomers want to vent their rage and anger with the people of Seattle?

Last edited by aceplace; 03-14-2008 at 09:36 PM..

Old 03-14-2008, 10:34 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
I don't know anyone from Seattle, and so I can't venture a personal opinion about their behavior, but if they are similar to Portland people, I wouldn't be able to stand them.

I hope you're not trying to excuse the behavior of people who dismiss the feelings of others, and are indifferent to the offense they create. If people there are as non-confrontational as some claim they are, then they can get away with giving offense, at least to each other. I'd suggest to them that they develop some empathy if they ever move out of their region. People in Texas have no compunctions about confronting insensitive jerks.

When my daughter married a Portland boy, the groom's family completely shunned me and my daughter's mom. A server in a restaurant actually ridiculed my pronunciation of something. New residents in the city actively talk about how hard it is to get to know local people, they are so standoffish. The only decent one of them I ever found was my ex-son-in-law.

If Scandinavians are anything like that, I vow to never find myself there.

But think about it. Why would Seattle have message boards where newcomers want to vent their rage and anger with the people of Seattle?
Did I say anything about excusing anybody, no I did not. I was pointing out a cultural difference. Scandinavians and many native Seattleites can be very reserved in public, but I have never seen a Seattleite who went out of their way to offend people from out of town, let alone people from another state.

There is a big difference between being "standoffish" and being reserved. This quote from The Swedish myths:True, false or somewhere inbetween (http://www.sweden.se/templates/cs/Article____12355.aspx - broken link)
could very well be used in describing many native Seattleites: "Swedes are not much good at establishing contact, as they seldom feel inclined to make conversation simply because the opportunity arises. Many prefer to listen. In Sweden, this is taken as a sign of modesty or lack of pretension – qualities that are much admired here." Replace "Swedes" with Seattleites and you have a good idea of how many of us are.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:01 PM

I was waiting to see what you cats would talk about...can't we all just get along...seattle's cool...dallas is cool...dallas has some horrific heat and seattle has some really cloudy gloomy days...let's way the positives and negatives of both..K???????
peace...

Old 03-15-2008, 06:41 AM

32 posts, read 136,063 times
Quote:
I was waiting to see what you cats would talk about...can't we all just get along...seattle's cool...dallas is cool...dallas has some horrific heat and seattle has some really cloudy gloomy days...let's way the positives and negatives of both..K???????
peace...
i agree. as the original poster of this thread, i wasn't looking for people to make broad generalizations about other people groups. i'm not interested in one person's experience at a restaurant that causes them to call out an entire ethnicity of people. thats bigotry man. i want to know facts about Seattle and facts about Dallas and peoples opinion about them, not people's biasness and prejudice against another.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytojet! View Post
i agree. as the original poster of this thread, i wasn't looking for people to make broad generalizations about other people groups. i'm not interested in one person's experience at a restaurant that causes them to call out an entire ethnicity of people. thats bigotry man. i want to know facts about Seattle and facts about Dallas and peoples opinion about them, not people's biasness and prejudice against another.
Based on the internet forums that allow transplants to Seattle to vent, and the comments people make on them, the city has a generic problem in accommodating immigrants. Immigrants into Dallas do not vent the same level of hostility, nor do they do it in other cities.

Since the point in question is basically... what's it like to move to Seattle... a potential resident should listen carefully to those who have already done so... and experienced problems that enraged them.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
Based on the internet forums that allow transplants to Seattle to vent, and the comments people make on them, the city has a generic problem in accommodating immigrants. Immigrants into Dallas do not vent the same level of hostility, nor do they do it in other cities.

Since the point in question is basically... what's it like to move to Seattle... a potential resident should listen carefully to those who have already done so... and experienced problems that enraged them.
How can a city affect your level of engagement...maybe those people are just angry to begin with...where are you from...anyways...if anyone wants to put Seattle pics up, I'd like to see them...that shot with the minicooper was quite beautiful...got a sf vibe to it

Old 03-15-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
How can a city affect your level of engagement...maybe those people are just angry to begin with...where are you from...anyways...if anyone wants to put Seattle pics up, I'd like to see them...that shot with the minicooper was quite beautiful...got a sf vibe to it
You mean, how can the climate affect your mental and emotional state? How does climate affect the social culture? Read some technical literature, and you'll find out.

Maybe they were angry to begin with? I don't understand. If they were full of anger toward Seattle before they moved there, why would they move there? Your claim doesn't make sense to me. I'd guess that they were expecting to be better off by the move, but once they got there, they found things that made them furious. Some thing (or things) about Seattle absolutely antagonized them. Frankly, you may be one of them... something about the place looks attractive to you, but if and when you move there, you discover all the reasons you were wrong.

They are pretty specific about the things they despise in Seattle. I'd take them at their word

Yes, in any city, there will be a certain number of people that don't fit in, or have some problems. The notable thing about Seattle is the absolute size of the disgruntled population. Other cities don't have websites devoted to the disgruntled part of the population.

Last edited by aceplace; 03-15-2008 at 09:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas