Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 04:16 PM

14 posts, read 18,639 times

Advertisements

The hot weather has me thinking again about installing some kind of backup electricity options at the house. There is nothing worse than finding yourself with a power outage in July or August and trying to figure out how to cool off. Bailing out to a hotel is something we've done before, but not happily.

Have any of you installed standby generators or gone forward with some other kind of electric backup plan? If so, please share your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 04:25 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
I live in an area where we get many power outages each year. In my case usually happens in the winter, but hot in the summer or cold in the winter without power stinks.

I originally planned to get a generator that could run my appliances some light, and most importantly the oil burner for hot water and heat. As I was walking around with the electrician picking circuits I wanted covered during an outage, I stopped and said "f" it, I want the whole house covered. Ended up with a 200A transfer switch, and a 15kw Briggs & Stratton generator on a cement pad, and a 100gal propane tank to run it.

It's paid for itself. I'm without power for 15 seconds during the panel switchover. A few winters ago we were without electricity for 6 days. All the neighbors had to head to hotels as it was sub freezing the entire time. I watched TV, took hot showers, and just conserved by not running the washer/dryer or dishwasher. In the summer I conserve the amount of time the ac is on, but we generally don't lose power for long lengths of time. For ac I might bump up the generator size.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:28 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
In order to get one big enough to run a HVAC system, you're looking at a very expensive system.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Our whole-house unit keeps everything going as usual including swim spa.

Do you have access to natural gas?

Old 07-23-2017, 07:56 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,350,911 times
My son has a portable generator. He can run a few things, including a portable AC to keep the bedroom cool and watch TV. He lives in the mid-cities and has power outages 2-3 x annually. Just last week his neighborhood lost power for about 10 hours. He's lived there over 10 years and so its saved him probably 20-30 days of going to hotels -- since he has a couple of dogs, it sure makes life better having the generator.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:22 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
I've lived in Texas all my life and never needed a generator. My electricity has never been out for an extended period of time. IMO, a waste of money.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:12 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I've lived in Texas all my life and never needed a generator. My electricity has never been out for an extended period of time. IMO, a waste of money.
I agree. If it ever happens, one can always move to a hotel for a day or two. Only people who have it are either in rural areas or they are the ones preparing for doomsday or Armageddon. I admire their foresight and preparedness for all unlikely scenarios but not enough to join them.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:19 AM

712 posts, read 842,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
The hot weather has me thinking again about installing some kind of backup electricity options at the house. There is nothing worse than finding yourself with a power outage in July or August and trying to figure out how to cool off. Bailing out to a hotel is something we've done before, but not happily.Have any of you installed standby generators or gone forward with some other kind of electric backup plan? If so, please share your experiences.

If money is no concern (about 10K), a nat.gas or propane 'whole house' unit can seamlessly & conveniently 'fill the gaps' in any power outages (assuming your home is NOT all-electric)..
{assuming you MAINTAIN the unit well (oil changes and new battery periodically) . . ..

If home IS all-electric, plan on either 20k for everything, or selecting a handful of circuits to settle for smaller unit.

The units are not really that expensive, BUT cost doubles to get it connected up (plumbed/wired) - http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5215_200665215

We have them at work. TWO units. A necessity. Gotta keep the website/servers up & cool (1 dedicated unit), and the sales-staff powered (2nd unit).

At home, I just have a portable unit. In 20 years, I've only needed to fire it up ONCE, for a few hours. YMMV.

IF you go portable, get ONLY a PROPANE powered unit (YES, they're available, inexpensive, and dont get the 'liquid fuel gunked-up issues' after sitting for months 'unused') Duromax XP12000EH 9,500-Watt 18 HP Dual Fuel Powered Portable Hybrid Gas Propane Generator-XP12000EH - The Home Depot

Old 07-24-2017, 11:33 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
I agree. If it ever happens, one can always move to a hotel for a day or two. Only people who have it are either in rural areas or they are the ones preparing for doomsday or Armageddon. I admire their foresight and preparedness for all unlikely scenarios but not enough to join them.
I live in the Houston area on the water adjacent to Galveston Bay and many homes here have whole house generators. I'd say easily 1/3 of the houses we looked at when we were house hunting, if not a slightly higher percentage. During the last major hurricane, which was Ike in 2008, some areas were out of power for upwards of 10 days. Obviously, a different location and climate than Dallas.

We installed a 22kw generator in March. The way I see it, we can afford it, and it's one of the few things we can do to protect our home, which is obviously vulnerable due to its location alone. My husband was not on board with the purchase and thought it was unnecessary, but I really pushed for it. Time will tell which one of us was right or wrong, and in a way, the best thing for us would be to never have to use it, but it gives me some piece of mind.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:38 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,593 times
I've lived in Texas my entire life and I don't think I've ever been without power for more than 8 hours. I grew up in a rural area, so we would lose power quite a bit during spring because of storms or if we got a lot of ice. But never during the summer.

I've lived in Frisco since 2007 and I think the longest I've been without power was 2 or 3 hours and that was during the ice storm of 2011 when we had rolling outages due to the high usage. I don't think buying a generator has ever crossed my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas