Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 07:39 AM

712 posts, read 834,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Apparently yes....we saw the house the first day it was for sale. We were the first offer. Not good enough though. And the sellers dragged their feet too, drawing out the multiple offers. Considering the HVAC units were original and from 1999, the carpet needed replacing, and the whole house needed painting, I was uncomfortable going over $490. It did have a gorgeous backyard though.
Were they R22 units? If so, they'd be energy hogs, expensive to 'maintain', and VERY expensive to replace (replacing would mean COMPLETE switchout to new R410 equipment as R22 is now 'outlawed' - requiring even switching out the copper lines (=tearing up walls).

If they were R410 units, even old, they could be quite serviceable and might even be decent efficiency, depending on make/model. Trane was making 18seer stuff even back then, and these things can last 30+ years if properly maintained - and some are higher efficiency than what they're even putting 'standard' in many new homes now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 07:43 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,021,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
Were they R22 units? If so, they'd be energy hogs, expensive to 'maintain', and VERY expensive to replace (replacing would mean COMPLETE switchout to new R410 equipment as R22 is now 'outlawed' - requiring even switching out the copper lines (=tearing up walls).

If they were R410 units, even old, they could be quite serviceable and might even be decent efficiency, depending on make/model. Trane was making 18seer stuff even back then, and these things can last 30+ years if properly maintained - and some are higher efficiency than what they're even putting 'standard' in many new homes now.
I have no idea what they were, but this is very interesting information...thanks!

Old 07-24-2017, 08:11 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,558,221 times
Quote:
Thanks for the comment.

I wonder if eventually some "less desirable" areas will see a renewed interest from buyers, as prices in places like Flower Mound or Colleyville or Grapevine just keep getting more ridiculous. Especially people from out of state might feel like we do and not be hyped to spend half a million for a dirty, out of date house on .19 of an acre with 6 lanes of traffic behind you just because it's in Bridlewood. An influx of new residents and higher incomes might possibly transform some of these other areas.
I agree with your thinking. I'd never spend that much money on something I didn't like just to be in a district that has a 30 point higher SAT average or something.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:20 AM

420 posts, read 400,451 times
Quote:
Could someone explain to me, besides our friend Kyam11, what exactly is wrong with NRH that feeds into Keller HS?
There's absolutely nothing wrong with NRH, specifically the area that feeds to Keller. My college roommate lives over there - every time I visit I really enjoy it. It's super convenient to a lot, particularly now that the express lane construction is basically finished. The neighborhood he's in is awesome and has a large core of long-term neighbors.

I think it's a great value for a very negligible difference in schools.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:39 AM

5,254 posts, read 6,350,894 times
Quote:
In fact I don't know one person out of about 100 or so that would ever move from Keller to NRH.
I have some friends who are selling their house in Keller and moving to North Richland Hills. They don't think much of Keller schools nor their neighborhood. It should be on the market shortly for less than $400k.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
1/3 of an acre, which is why we loved it. Felt so big compared to 1/4!
yup - big pretty lot with trees in this area is like $200k alone; doesn't leave much for the 'house' . . .

Old 07-24-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I have no idea what they were, but this is very interesting information...thanks!
yes - whenever you look at a house, take a pic of the metal 'info' plate on the outside units; on the side or the back;

it will state, among other things:
the Model number can be googled, which will give the specs;
the plate ALSO states R22 or R410 refrigerant; if you ever see R22 EXPECT to spend $12k ea to 'rip out and replace' before you re-sell house in the future . . . ., and 'home warranty co's' will NOT cover the cost to replace these with up-to-date R410 equipment, they'll just stick bandaid on it and STILL charge you several hundred dollars each time it 'leaks' . . .

Old 07-24-2017, 09:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,130,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000 View Post
yes - whenever you look at a house, take a pic of the metal 'info' plate on the outside units; on the side or the back;

it will state, among other things:
the Model number can be googled, which will give the specs;
the plate ALSO states R22 or R410 refrigerant; if you ever see R22 EXPECT to spend $12k ea to 'rip out and replace' before you re-sell house in the future . . . ., and 'home warranty co's' will NOT cover the cost to replace these with up-to-date R410 equipment, they'll just stick bandaid on it and STILL charge you several hundred dollars each time it 'leaks' . . .
We don't pay anywhere near several hundred dollars to fix our AC.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:27 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,134,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanByMarriage View Post
you might just end up cherry-picking comments that align with your own assumptions anyways
:-)

Old 07-24-2017, 10:36 AM

11 posts, read 15,573 times
I think you said your husband's commute would be to DFW airport? If so have you considered Trophy Club or Roanoke? Now that 114 is finished the commute is not bad. If you could find an older home in Trophy Club that has been remodeled it might fit your criteria. They tend to have good sized lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas