Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 05:43 AM

964 posts, read 877,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanByMarriage View Post
Kudos to BigDGeek for pointing out the unnecessary discussions of California. I get the relevance in some threads, but all housing threads end up as the same, it seems. It would be nice to hear the experience of ppl from other states/countries moving to DFW, where the reasons weren't solely job opportunities and COL. This thread is probably not the place though
Sorry but you don't get to decide that. Anyone can decide to talk about anything they want related to DFW Real Estate (in this particular thread). You can all create your own board to talk police the specific subjects. Now carry on and talk about whatever you want. I simply can't bring myself to freak out over what others deem subject worthy. If someone wants to create a thread about the Best BBQ place and someone happens to mention comparisons to other types of BBQ around the US they are welcome to do so no matter how you thread dictators take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 07:31 AM

92 posts, read 117,104 times
California economic refugee talk not going away.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:42 AM

989 posts, read 2,441,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanByMarriage View Post
Kudos to BigDGeek for pointing out the unnecessary discussions of California. I get the relevance in some threads, but all housing threads end up as the same, it seems. It would be nice to hear the experience of ppl from other states/countries moving to DFW, where the reasons weren't solely job opportunities and COL. This thread is probably not the place though
Yeah...unfortunately you aren't going to find many of those people. Job opportunities and COL (maybe decent public schools/conservative values/family) are the primary reasons people would relocate here. I like it here, but it isn't really a "destination" location.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:46 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Yeah...unfortunately you aren't going to find many of those people. Job opportunities and COL (maybe decent public schools/conservative values/family) are the primary reasons people would relocate here. I like it here, but it isn't really a "destination" location.

Job opportunities are the primary reason people relocate everywhere (with the exception of retirement communities or resort areas for the wealthy like Jackson Hole). It's not unique to DFW.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:46 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
What's weird in all these discussions is my wife is the only California transplant we know - the rest of our transplant neighbors came from the midwest and Florida. Why? There are no good paying jobs in the midwest. And in our elementary school peer group, there are only 3 (of about 20) native Texans.

I'm sure Toyota brought a bunch of Californians, but they don't seem to be evenly spread around DFW - they are basically just in a few enclaves.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:26 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Not an exaggeration at all. Please find me a 3000SF house that in the East Bay that is in Alamo, Berkeley Hills, Napa, or Brentwood. The fact that you are willing to live in a craphole doesn't mean I am willing to. Brentwood is doable, but good luck if you actually work when commuting.

In LA please find me a home in Malibu, San Marino, La Canada, Hancock Park, Beverly Hills, Newport, Manhattan Beach, Santa Monica, Laguna, La Jolla, Calabasas, Marina Del Rey, or Simi Valley. Again 4BR 3000sf is fine. Again you can settle for a craphole. I wouldn't. I wouldn't park my car in front of a $700K house in LA.

I'll wait for you to post particular cities in either of those places. We both know you won't and can't or they will be absolute crapholes.
We were talking about price, not square footage.

Let me go ahead and post links to some homes in the range I was talking about (500k-700k):

You can have this 3bd/3ba in Monrovia for less than 600k (near Pasadena with good schools):
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...84_rect/11_zm/

There's this 4bd/3ba house in Simi Valley for less than 700k:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...97_rect/11_zm/

This 3bd/2ba in Ventura (with its perfect weather) for less than 600k:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...108_rect/8_zm/

This 4bd/3ba in Thousand Oaks (posh) for less than 700k:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...52_rect/11_zm/

I didn't even get to some of the Inland Emprie / OC areas where you can find nice homes within good school districts in the 400k-700k range. You can find similar homes in the Bay Area too.

You're not paying for just the house in California like you would in Texas. There are pros and cons to both places. I understand why people enjoy Texas because they can get a large house for cheap and stay there. I also understand why people enjoy California because although their home may not be as large as their Texas cousins, they are hardly there since there is so much to do in the immediate vicinity let alone the state.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
We were talking about price, not square footage.

Let me go ahead and post links to some homes in the range I was talking about (500k-700k):

You can have this 3bd/3ba in Monrovia for less than 600k (near Pasadena with good schools):
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...84_rect/11_zm/

There's this 4bd/3ba house in Simi Valley for less than 700k:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...97_rect/11_zm/

This 3bd/2ba in Ventura (with its perfect weather) for less than 600k:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...108_rect/8_zm/

This 4bd/3ba in Thousand Oaks (posh) for less than 700k:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...52_rect/11_zm/

I didn't even get to some of the Inland Emprie / OC areas where you can find nice homes within good school districts in the 400k-700k range. You can find similar homes in the Bay Area too.

You're not paying for just the house in California like you would in Texas. There are pros and cons to both places. I understand why people enjoy Texas because they can get a large house for cheap and stay there. I also understand why people enjoy California because although their home may not be as large as their Texas cousins, they are hardly there since there is so much to do in the immediate vicinity let alone the state.
Monrovia crap hole. If you think Monrovia has good schools then we have a very different definition of good schools. Pasadena does not have good schools either. You have to go private
Ventura crap hole
Simi Valley house is a tiny home (not close to 3000sf) that I would have to put in an additional $150,000. I will admit you can probably get into Simi Valley into something decent for around $1M. Just hope you don't have to commute.
IE is a craphole
Thousand Oaks is a tiny house and it is a townhome meaning shared walls.

In other words you found none.

Next time read. 2200sf has never been and will never be 3000sf. As I said you can't get a place in LA for under $1.5M to $2M that I would find acceptable. If you have low standards then by all means you can probably find something. Anyone that knows LA laughed when you said IE.

LA and SF are fine places to live but they cost more than $1.5M for what I consider an acceptable situation. For an excellent situation that amount jumps to over $3M. The same can be said for DFW is about $300K for acceptable and $700K for excellent.

Last edited by kyam11; 09-13-2017 at 08:53 AM..

Old 09-13-2017, 08:52 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Monrovia crap hole. If you think Monrovia has good schools then we have a very different definition of good schools. Pasadena does not have good schools either. You have to go private
Ventura crap hole
Simi Valley house is a tiny home (not close to 3000sf) that I would have to put in an additional $150,000
IE is a craphole
Thousand Oaks is a tiny house.

In other words you found none.

Next time read. 2200sf has never been and will never be 3000sf. As I said you can't get a place in LA for under $1.5M to $2M that I would find acceptable. If you have low standards then by all means you can probably find something. Anyone that knows LA laughed when you said IE.

LA and SF are fine places to live but they cost more than $1.5M for what I consider an acceptable situation. For an excellent situation that amount jumps to over $3M.
I'm well aware that Pasadena school's aren't the greatest but I didn't post a house from there (only mentioned Monrovia is within proximity to it via highway or light rail). I never said anything about square footage in the first place. You brought that up when replying to my post. I'm only talking about pricing. Those homes I posted have more than enough room for a family and don't have a lot of empty space. Not everyone needs a 3000-5000 square foot home. If you can't find happiness in the homes I listed (depending on family size of course) then this below quote is for you:

"This, that, and that over there, which one is important? Get rid of unnecessary things, you could be happy with having only what you need"

Old 09-13-2017, 08:53 AM

140 posts, read 178,738 times
Quote:

...they are hardly there since there is so much to do in the immediate vicinity let alone the state.
So small homes are ok since people in CA are never at home and they are all traveling around the state eating smores around campfires and surfing? you need to lay off the crack homie

Old 09-13-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I'm well aware that Pasadena school's aren't the greatest but I didn't post a house from there (only mentioned Monrovia is within proximity to it via highway or light rail). I never said anything about square footage in the first place. You brought that up when replying to my post. I'm only talking about pricing. Those homes I posted have more than enough room for a family and don't have a lot of empty space. Not everyone needs a 3000-5000 square foot home. If you can't find happiness in the homes I listed (depending on family size of course) then this below quote is for you:

"This, that, and that over there, which one is important? Get rid of unnecessary things, you could be happy with having only what you need"
In other words you have lower standards than I do. Fair enough. I wouldn't consider any of those acceptable. Sorry I have higher standards than you do. I still have family members there. They also have lower standards and I don't love them any less.

Funny how every example has to have multiple qualifiers that go along with it.

The difference here is that places in and around DFW that are like the high end suburbs of LA are Southlake, Keller, Trophy Club, Colleyville, Plano, Frisco, Allen, Mckinney, Grapevine, North Richland Hills, Coppell, Flower Mound. I am probably missing a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas