Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 05:33 PM

3 posts, read 7,724 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We're planning to relocate to Dallas through my current job from the Portland, Oregon. My elder daughter will be in high school next year. She is in the Summa program currently in her middle school which provides a differentiated, challenging curriculum that meets the cognitive, emotional, and social needs of highly gifted students, while being sensitive to their developmental level.

We talked to many friends in the Dallas area, and pretty much everybody recommended Plano, Frisco and Coppell ISD. We are torn between Frisco and Plano. We'll not be buying house right away. We'll be renting first, and there are rentals available in both the cities in good school zones.

My daughter's high school here provides AP courses. Some high schools here provide IB also.

I think being an older ISD, Plano might have some advantages ( with electives, AP/IB courses) for the high school kids. But, I'm not sure. Some of the Frisco schools are new - like Independence high school.

Also in the Plano as per Zillow, both Plano East and West high schools are poorly rated around 4/6 out of 10. Being a high performing ISD, I don't understand why they're rated so low. Jasper High is 9 out of 10.

I would appreciate if you've experience with Plano/ Frisco ISDs , please let us know. If we later decide to buy, Frisco will have new house options whereas it will be mostly old houses in Plano, but we're focusing on my Daughter's high school for next 4 years.

We would like to know from from the high school opportunities, electives, and other programs between these two ISDs.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 05:43 PM

625 posts, read 1,956,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulroy99 View Post
Hi All,

We're planning to relocate to Dallas through my current job from the Portland, Oregon. My elder daughter will be in high school next year. She is in the Summa program currently in her middle school which provides a differentiated, challenging curriculum that meets the cognitive, emotional, and social needs of highly gifted students, while being sensitive to their developmental level.

We talked to many friends in the Dallas area, and pretty much everybody recommended Plano, Frisco and Coppell ISD. We are torn between Frisco and Plano. We'll not be buying house right away. We'll be renting first, and there are rentals available in both the cities in good school zones.

My daughter's high school here provides AP courses. Some high schools here provide IB also.

I think being an older ISD, Plano might have some advantages ( with electives, AP/IB courses) for the high school kids. But, I'm not sure. Some of the Frisco schools are new - like Independence high school.

Also in the Plano as per Zillow, both Plano East and West high schools are poorly rated around 4/6 out of 10. Being a high performing ISD, I don't understand why they're rated so low. Jasper High is 9 out of 10.

I would appreciate if you've experience with Plano/ Frisco ISDs , please let us know. If we later decide to buy, Frisco will have new house options whereas it will be mostly old houses in Plano, but we're focusing on my Daughter's high school for next 4 years.

We would like to know from from the high school opportunities, electives, and other programs between these two ISDs.

Thanks in advance!
If you think your daughter is a top performer and want to her to aim for Harvard/Stanford/Duke/Rice type schools, then Plano will be a better fit for your daughter.

There's nothing wrong with Frisco schools either - a lot of them are new and have high income families, so they're a perfectly fine place to educate your daughter, but none of them have the academic environment (for better or for worse) that the Plano schools have.

Don't pay any attention to the school ratings you see online. Here's another way to look at it:

Frisco National Merit Finalists:
Frisco ISD Celebrates National Merit Finalists

Plano National Merit Finalists:
https://www.pisd.edu/site/default.as...upMonth=5&Tag=

Old 08-10-2017, 10:42 PM

49 posts, read 67,779 times
Make sure when looking at schools you are evaluating the school itself and not just the school district.

The TEA website has a lot of useful information.
https://rptsvr1.tea.texas.gov/perfre...mpus.srch.html

And www.SchoolDigger.com is another resource if you are looking solely for information on test scores.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:09 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Plano West got a 4? Bad website. It's one of the top 3 high schools in the area.

PISD also has insane #s of AP tests and an IB program that starts in elementary school.

The thing I would warn you about Plano schools is that they are insanely competitive.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:50 AM

964 posts, read 877,460 times
The BS is being shoveled here quite a bit.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:14 AM

420 posts, read 403,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
The BS is being shoveled here quite a bit.
Hope you brought some TShirts with your shovel!

OP. Subject has been beaten to death, I'd run a search and skim from there. Ultimately, you're the only one that can evaluate whether any school is the best fit for your daughter - which the internet ratings do a very poor job of.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:22 AM

964 posts, read 877,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite76 View Post
Hope you brought some TShirts with your shovel!

OP. Subject has been beaten to death, I'd run a search and skim from there. Ultimately, you're the only one that can evaluate whether any school is the best fit for your daughter - which the internet ratings do a very poor job of.
The old jealousy because where you live no one has a desire to create an article for people to feel proud of their high school. Not my fault the people of my great community are proud to wear their high school garb and that they are better at marketing than where you live. Everybody always wants to slam the leader. I get it. Please continue. How do you know when you have reached the peak? When they are talking about you. Funny but the second I post the thing that pops into your head is the incredible place ai live and the exceptional high school we have and how they market. When you post I have no clue about where you live (other than the greater Austin area) nor do I know about your irrelevant high school. Guess marketing does work

Funny reading about how many people use internet rankings until they find a ranking that they don't like and then it is disregard the rankings.

Personally I think OP should use every ranking they can find and then decide what criteria and metrics are important to them, but then again I have no limits on where I can live.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:30 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,055 times
This is going as expected.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:04 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
This is going as expected.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:36 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,135 times
Where's your job? What type of commute are you looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: