Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you prefer to shop for furniture?
Nebraska Furniture Mart 19 39.58%
IKEA 10 20.83%
Other 19 39.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 01:32 PM

5,683 posts, read 4,091,245 times

Advertisements

I feel it is immoral to support a building as big as NFM. Okay, not exactly. But I do despise it just for what it is. It's the Buc-ee's of furniture stores. It's every stereotype about American excess packaged up into one business. I won't go in there, just like I won't go in Buc-ee's. Except for that once when I really had to pee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 02:09 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,086,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I feel it is immoral to support a building as big as NFM. Okay, not exactly. But I do despise it just for what it is. It's the Buc-ee's of furniture stores. It's every stereotype about American excess packaged up into one business. I won't go in there, just like I won't go in Buc-ee's. Except for that once when I really had to pee.
I went to Buc-ee's, I thought it was cute.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:16 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,064,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yeah...the Dump takes tacky to a whole new level.
Well, why do you think they call it "the Dump"?

Old 08-23-2017, 02:27 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,086,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Well, why do you think they call it "the Dump"?
Yep, heard that one.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:57 PM

119 posts, read 190,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
How does shopping experience factor in, if at all?

Am I the only person who goes to IKEA and always makes a bet with himself that this is the time I'll figure out how to leave early?

I admit I'm not the greatest with spatial orientation. So enlighten me, is there some sort of escape route where someone who gets halfway through the store can still leave immediately if they're done? Or are we as IKEA consumers doomed forever to shop there like the whole store is a package deal?

To their credit, that layout is probably a good business move. And being able to visualize so many products in home-like settings is a plus for consumers.
Well, shopping experience at IKEA is a different story. I like some of their furniture and other stuff (napkins, cakes, meatballs), but absolutely HATE going there. Over time I learned to use shortcuts, so I could get out of their showroom and marketplace floors quickly, but even then you get stuck at checkout for a while. In addition, IKEA is now a 'gun free' zone with properly posted 30.06 and 30.07 signs, which makes it even less attractive to me.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:24 PM

630 posts, read 649,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
I agree that NFM is good for electronics. Sometimes I wonder if they consider themselves competitors to Best Buy.

I find them very competitive and eager to get your business. I have bought appliances and electronics from NFM and they've always offered better deals than Best Buy. Even when the price was the same they offered faster home delivery than BB. Now furniture... I never bought any from them.. not my style at all, but their sales volumes clearly shows that's the style America likes! .

Old 08-23-2017, 06:19 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,173,287 times
One thing I did like about NFM was that I was able to get my kids from bothering me while picking out furniture by giving them $10 to spend at See's Candies. I gave them two rules: 1. They had to agree on how to spend the money and 2. They had to be polite. Following both rules took a long time so I wasn't bothered while picking out furniture.

I don't have high standards but I do refuse to buy furniture at a place called The Dump.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:54 PM

89 posts, read 65,005 times
Like many others we shopped a lot at IKEA after moving to Dallas as a young, broke couple bouncing around from apartments. We don't really shop there anymore except for some home goods stuff on the first floor. We don't buy furniture there anymore. NFT is a spectacle. We stopped going after a couple times when we never really found anything that was a decent price and quality as well. All the good stuff is on separate display for $$$$. Plus, I always left with a backache from all the walking. Kind of like a jack of all trades but master of none.

We've been to Stacy furniture more recently. Although the style isn't mostly ours, they do have some stuff that is pretty good and the service is always good. I'd say it's mostly overpriced but you do have to look around for those deals that they often have and it's a pleasant shopping experience.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:25 PM

482 posts, read 394,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
One thing I did like about NFM was that I was able to get my kids from bothering me while picking out furniture by giving them $10 to spend at See's Candies. I gave them two rules: 1. They had to agree on how to spend the money and 2. They had to be polite. Following both rules took a long time so I wasn't bothered while picking out furniture.
LOL. At NFM I told my kids the rules were the same as they were at home: no shoes on the furniture and no jumping on the furniture. But my wife took me aside and told me those actually were not the rules at home. Then as we walked away I overheard my kids whispering to each other something about Dad trying to pretend he's in charge again. After that I retreated back to the electronics section alone to get more toys for my man-cave. That was the one part of the shopping experience I knew I'd get right.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:12 PM

988 posts, read 1,818,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I went to Buc-ee's, I thought it was cute.
How does one not love Buc-ee's? When I drive to Austin or San Antonio, it's not a road trip without a stop. In fact, I might have to grab the steering wheel and force the car off the road if the driver didn't want to stop...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas