Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 01:13 PM

964 posts, read 876,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
DFW is expensive for what the city has to offer.
Whoa whoa whoa. Be careful.

Wittgenstein has a real issue with you saying this. Expensive can mean many different things to many different people. Please put in 1000 qualifiers as to what you mean.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:16 PM

455 posts, read 578,191 times
Ok id rather be broke on the beach.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:21 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Whoa whoa whoa. Be careful.

Wittgenstein has a real issue with you saying this. Expensive can mean many different things to many different people. Please put in 1000 qualifiers as to what you mean.
No, you are the person who has a problem with that sort of statement. Not me. I think "expensive" is inherently subjective, so if Hacker thinks DFW costs a lot relative to what he thinks it provides, that's a perfectly acceptable statement. You are the one who thinks Hacker's statement can be objectively verified by looking at COL statistics.

Don't get our positions confused here.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
No, you are the person who has a problem with that sort of statement. Not me. I think "expensive" is inherently subjective, so if Hacker thinks DFW costs a lot relative to what he thinks it provides, that's a perfectly acceptable statement. You are the one who thinks Hacker's statement can be objectively verified by looking at COL statistics.

Don't get our positions confused here.
If you have a problem with me saying DFW is cheap then you also have to have a problem with saying DFW is expensive.

If you were only half as smart as you think you are. Either way I simply don't give a crap anymore. Nit pick away. You are obsessed with me. I get it.

In your world DFW is cheap, DFW is expensive, DFW is moderately priced its all Ok.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
If you have a problem with me saying DFW is cheap then you also have to have a problem with saying DFW is expensive.

If you were only half as smart as you think you are. Either way I simply don't give a crap anymore. Nit pick away. You are obsessed with me. I get it.
I don't have a problem with you saying DFW is cheap. I have a problem with you thinking that COL statistics disprove the statement "DFW is expensive."

You are responding to me just as much as I'm responding to you. You wanted to play the nit-pick game. You've just lost now, and you're bitter about it.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem with you saying DFW is cheap. I have a problem with you thinking that COL statistics disprove the statement "DFW is expensive."

You are responding to me just as much as I'm responding to you. You wanted to play the nit-pick game. You've just lost now, and you're bitter about it.
I'm not bitter at all. I just think it is funny that I can read 20+ posts you have made where you have made statements that are similar to statements I have made with your own criteria applied and generalizing or in other words where you make an absolute statement even though someone's criteria might differ from yours. You just decide to nitpick mine. The problem is whatever you think I do you do the exact same thing.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:51 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
OMG sometimes you are like a one man comedy routine. And you to think you just accused kyam11 of abusing semantics. Your disdain for high confidence quantitative data and preference for and defense of vacuous qualitative wording is at best odd. I like to argue too but come on.

DFW being demonstrably less expensive vs. most peer cities trumps qualitative "DFW is expensive" claims. Sure DFW is expensive for many people the carryover is most big cites would be more so for the same people.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:57 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
There's a couple people in this thread who never get invited to any parties.

They know who they are LOL

Old 08-29-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
OMG sometimes you are like a one man comedy routine. And you to think you just accused kyam11 of abusing semantics. Your disdain for high confidence quantitative data and preference for and defense of vacuous qualitative wording is at best odd. I like to argue too but come on.
I only prefer qualitative reasoning when words are inherently qualitative. If someone said "DFW is the most expensive city," that is an entirely different claim, and it can be disproved with quantitative evidence. If someone said "DFW is expensive," that is an inherently subjective claim. "Expensive" is defined as "at great cost." To say that is a quantitative claim is to say that the word "great" has objective meaning. It does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
DFW being demonstrably less expensive vs. most peer cities trumps qualitative "DFW is expensive" claims. Sure DFW is expensive for many people the carryover is most big cites would be more so for the same people.
It is entirely possible that most big cities are "expensive" to a person. Thus, I don't see the rub.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:19 PM

989 posts, read 2,440,667 times
This thread is amusing.

Seems like everyone is just talking around each other.

Personally, I thought that the pro-"Dallas is not expensive" people qualified their statement by default, by including the statistical info about other comparable metro areas as their frame of reference for the subjective term "expensive".

Arguing that "Dallas may be expensive for some people" or "Dallas is now expensive" isn't very meaningful to this thread, as the frame of reference used wasn't people's personal experiences, or Dallas 6 years ago, or smaller metro areas - the frame of reference used was other comparable large metro areas.

I mean, you can object to just about any statement if you want to try and invalidate it by using relativity. Rich, poor, expensive, beautiful, entertaining, all of these are meaningless terms unless you provide a frame of reference for them. In this case, the frame of reference was provided (comparable metro areas).

Judgment for the defendant in the amount of $0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas