Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2017, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,947 times

Advertisements

Hello,

As mentioned in the title, I am a teacher and have a family of 5, including myself. I'm looking at moving into Dallas because I have always wanted to move out from Houston.

I'm looking for housing that's affordable for a teacher's salary (~53k) and would like to live in a decent area. Which neighborhoods should I look into that are peaceful, yet affordable? Which neighborhoods are just terrible and have nothing going for them?

Thanks in advanced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 01:13 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
Most people here will recommend finding a job first and then decide where to live. The DFW area is huge (just like Houston) and you wouldn't want to live in The Woodlands but work in Clear Lake.

Good luck with your move.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:15 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j102587a View Post
Hello,

As mentioned in the title, I am a teacher and have a family of 5, including myself. I'm looking at moving into Dallas because I have always wanted to move out from Houston.

I'm looking for housing that's affordable for a teacher's salary (~53k) and would like to live in a decent area. Which neighborhoods should I look into that are peaceful, yet affordable? Which neighborhoods are just terrible and have nothing going for them?

Thanks in advanced!
I'm going to be honest with you - supporting a family of 5 on $53k is going to be VERY challenging here - even more so if any of your kids need full time daycare still. . DFW is more expensive than Houston, especially when it comes to housing prices. Also, just like Houston, DFW is HUGE so it's important to know where you'll be working or else you'll spend 2-3 hours a day commuting - i.e. you would never live in Katy and work in Clear Lake.

The south side of the metroplex is more affordable than the north side. I'd look into suburbs like Midlothian, Mansfield, Cedar Hill, and south Arlington. Joe Pool Lake and Cedar Hill State Park are nearby and both very pretty! Areas you want to avoid are anyplace where you can rent a 2+ bedroom apartment for < $1,000ish per month...that should help you gauge how safe a place is more or less.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,947 times
Thank you for your replies!

I'm still in the planning stage and haven't committed to moving right away. It's more of a foreseeable, long term goal. The recent hurricane has brought this up with more urgency than before. As soon as my 2 smaller girls are in school (3-4 more years) my wife will supplement my income, which is why we're holding off from moving till then. We don't have huge debts which is a blessing.

How's the Grand Prairie area near the Joe Pool Lake? Thanks again!

Old 08-31-2017, 01:30 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j102587a View Post
Thank you for your replies!

I'm still in the planning stage and haven't committed to moving right away. It's more of a foreseeable, long term goal. The recent hurricane has brought this up with more urgency than before. As soon as my 2 smaller girls are in school (3-4 more years) my wife will supplement my income, which is why we're holding off from moving till then. We don't have huge debts which is a blessing.

How's the Grand Prairie area near the Joe Pool Lake? Thanks again!

That area is pretty nice IMO. It doesn't get a lot of discussion on this forum, but the few times I have been in that area I thought it was pretty nice. I think the portions zoned to Mansfield ISD (even in the city of Grand Prairie) are more desirable, but I am not super familiar with the particular neighborhoods.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:00 PM

385 posts, read 489,040 times
Also look into areas in South Grand Prairie (75052) zoned to Colin Powell Elementary and Ronald Reagan Middle School. You can still find a home for $160K in this area (although it will not be remodeled) and the elementary and middle school are exemplary. The STAAR scores are pretty similar to other good elementary schools in Dallas, Plano, etc.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:40 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
If u have to wait 3-4 yrs then wait to get info
No,way to,know how prices might change by then
And creeping problems could be worse...
P,us u will need two jobs within reasonable distance to housing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas