Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2017, 05:25 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,488,021 times

Advertisements

I've seen a fair number of North Dallas homes where the brick is painted.
Typically I think to cover up major cracks in the brick veneer.

Anyone ever seen stained brick?
Is that possible?
Is it better for the brick than painting it?
Are there any issues with painting brick?
I've always heard brick is breathable....so does painting it change that where staining wouldn't?
Anyone seen mold or mildew behind brick that was painted?

Anyone have recommendations for a brick stainer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 08:39 PM

487 posts, read 467,549 times
IMO Brick is painted to hide a problem, in addition it will need to be maintained, whereas brick alone is designed
to be low maintenance.

Are you just trying to change the way the brick looks?

Old 09-02-2017, 08:22 AM

19,790 posts, read 18,079,394 times
We just painted our 1960s era brick home. For a few reasons.
1). Some of our old hand cast soft brick was just beginning to weather. Paint stops that cold.
2). Hand cast soft brick absorbs/transfers more water than modern brick, at least usually. Paint controls that issue nicely.
3). The old brick was an odd pearlescent medium red. It was really pretty up close but odd looking from any distance.
4). Paint is much less attractive to casual mosses that tend to grow on brick homes - around downspouts and the like.
5). Although not a big deal our new lighter color should heat a good bit less than the older much darker color. Sherwin-Williams has some data on this but I didn't pay much attention.
6). Some older homes have terribly dated brick colors. Painting solves that issue and in nearly every case I've seen the result is much prettier.

Painting brick with modern primers and water based paints allows modern and old hard-fired brick to wick, slows that process in softer more porous brick, stops any brick from further weathering erosion and lasts about 15/18 years with minimal maintenance.

I'm sure some people paint to hide problems but that's silly as paint does not hide surface imperfections very well at all. In fact other than masking color differences in mortar or maybe varying brick colors for example paint makes many physical imperfections waviness, cracks, gaps, edge imperfections and off-plane defects more noticeable.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:45 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,413,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
I've seen a fair number of North Dallas homes where the brick is painted.
Typically I think to cover up major cracks in the brick veneer.

Anyone ever seen stained brick?
Is that possible?
Is it better for the brick than painting it?
Are there any issues with painting brick?
I've always heard brick is breathable....so does painting it change that where staining wouldn't?
Anyone seen mold or mildew behind brick that was painted?

Anyone have recommendations for a brick stainer?
Many of your questions regarding brick can be answered at the Brick Industry Association WEB site Tech Notes located here Technical Notes . Tech Note 6 addresses painting of brick.

I have not seen stained brick but brick is much more porous than wood or other stained substrates. I would not think that stains would do well on brick and/or shades/colors easily controlled. There are many paints out there now that emulate stain colors and would be a better choice on brick.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:16 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
We just painted our 1960s era brick home. For a few reasons.
1). Some of our old hand cast soft brick was just beginning to weather. Paint stops that cold.
2). Hand cast soft brick absorbs/transfers more water than modern brick, at least usually. Paint controls that issue nicely.
3). The old brick was an odd pearlescent medium red. It was really pretty up close but odd looking from any distance.
4). Paint is much less attractive to casual mosses that tend to grow on brick homes - around downspouts and the like.
5). Although not a big deal our new lighter color should heat a good bit less than the older much darker color. Sherwin-Williams has some data on this but I didn't pay much attention.
6). Some older homes have terribly dated brick colors. Painting solves that issue and in nearly every case I've seen the result is much prettier.

Painting brick with modern primers and water based paints allows modern and old hard-fired brick to wick, slows that process in softer more porous brick, stops any brick from further weathering erosion and lasts about 15/18 years with minimal maintenance.

I'm sure some people paint to hide problems but that's silly as paint does not hide surface imperfections very well at all. In fact other than masking color differences in mortar or maybe varying brick colors for example paint makes many physical imperfections waviness, cracks, gaps, edge imperfections and off-plane defects more noticeable.
Good post. Our house is also a 60's era ranch and our brick was painted about 10 years ago (prior to us owning the home) and the paint on the brick is still good as new. It wasn't done to cover up any damage, but was done for cosmetic reasons (I found some old photos of the street and our home was a hideous salmon type color before) by the contractor that renovated the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas