Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 12:30 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,062 times

Advertisements

Enough about the schools. Chicago's CBD is doing quite well and their schools are just as "bad" if not worse than Dallas's. And I use "bad" in quotation marks. We all know it's not as simple as good school vs. bad school. Amazon specifically wants an urban area that's connected to transit, but there must be available space. So in DFW, that would be central Dallas, DT Fort Worth, or any suburb that has an urban mixed use rail station with available space. We're competing against other cities here such as Atlanta, Philly, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Denver, Austin, Boston, etc. It ain't happening in Frisco folks. Keep dreaming. It's not going to Legacy, the so-called "Miracle Mile" or whatever the hell you want to call it. There may be land there, but it's not the set up Amazon is looking for. Las Colinas or Richardson? Maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 12:33 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Most people wouldn't recommend living in Dallas to transplants because most transplants are interested in newer housing and public schooling. Its one of the first questions they ask/they are asked.
Where are you getting this information? Not every single transplant is a family unit moving here. If that were the case, then the city of Dallas and Dallas County for that matter wouldn't be growing the way it is currently.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:35 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Where are you getting this information? Not every single transplant is a family unit moving here. If that were the case, then the city of Dallas and Dallas County for that matter wouldn't be growing the way it is currently.
I said 'most' not 'every single'.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:48 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Most people wouldn't recommend living in Dallas to transplants because most transplants are interested in newer housing and public schooling. Its one of the first questions they ask/they are asked.
Most transplants don't want to pay (or can't afford) $500k for a 2000sf home in Lakewood or $1.2Mish for a "starter" SFH in the Park Cities. There are many pockets of Dallas south of LBJ that have excellent public schools but they have all gotten very expensive. That's the reality in Dallas and pretty much every other major city in the US. However, there are quite a few transplants that prefer to live closer in...we get a few on city data but in reality there are many more in real life. I can name dozens of people I work with in Plano who commute from Dallas proper, almost all of whom relocated from out of state.

Also, most transplants have a perception of price-value in the DFW area and the outer suburbs, while getting more expensive every year, still provide a better value (size wise) than living in the city. What I've seen at work is that people who relocate every 3-5 years for work prefer to live in more transient areas where most residents are from somewhere else...it's easier to make friends quickly and feel like "home" when you are surrounded by other new people.

I always recommend Dallas proper IF it's a good fit for the poster's budget, commute, and desired lifestyle.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:09 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Most transplants don't want to pay (or can't afford) $500k for a 2000sf home in Lakewood or $1.2Mish for a "starter" SFH in the Park Cities. There are many pockets of Dallas south of LBJ that have excellent public schools but they have all gotten very expensive. That's the reality in Dallas and pretty much every other major city in the US. However, there are quite a few transplants that prefer to live closer in...we get a few on city data but in reality there are many more in real life. I can name dozens of people I work with in Plano who commute from Dallas proper, almost all of whom relocated from out of state.

Also, most transplants have a perception of price-value in the DFW area and the outer suburbs, while getting more expensive every year, still provide a better value (size wise) than living in the city. What I've seen at work is that people who relocate every 3-5 years for work prefer to live in more transient areas where most residents are from somewhere else...it's easier to make friends quickly and feel like "home" when you are surrounded by other new people.

I always recommend Dallas proper IF it's a good fit for the poster's budget, commute, and desired lifestyle.
Personally i think if one does not have littles or does not require public schools; Dallas offers some of the best neighborhoods and access to most things such a household would care about within a reasonable distance.

Unfortunately those areas come at a premium and dash ones dream of the ideal Texas home (read...large and cheap!)

Old 09-29-2017, 04:25 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,032 times
wfaa.com | First look at proposed Amazon HQ2 in North Dallas

“Three Dallas Midtown stakeholders and development partners submitted plans Wednesday to the Dallas Regional Chamber to bring Amazon.com Inc.'s proposed second headquarters to the 430-acre site slate.”

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ion-tower-news

“Latest Amazon HQ2 pitch includes Dallas landmark Reunion Tower.”

Amazon already knows where they want to be.There are probably about 5 places they are seriously considering.The announcement of the HQ2 search created the feeding frenzy they were looking for to see which of those places would throw out the best incentives for something they were obviously doing regardless.

I my opinion,Dallas does not have a huge shot at this.Austin,DC,Toronto and possibly Boston are top contenders for different reasons.I think it will be come down to either Austin or Toronto.Places like NYC and Chicago would not make sense after reading about Amazon’s Seattle gripes...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gee...s-hq2-rfp/amp/

Last edited by CREW747; 09-29-2017 at 05:52 AM..

Old 09-29-2017, 04:40 AM

92 posts, read 117,075 times
That's funny, it takes Amazon's HQ2 solicitation to get the City of Dallas and DART to mention the Cotton Belt Line. In other context just two months ago, the rail expansion project was dead.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:14 AM

989 posts, read 2,440,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
wfaa.com | First look at proposed Amazon HQ2 in North Dallas

“Three Dallas Midtown stakeholders and development partners submitted plans Wednesday to the Dallas Regional Chamber to bring Amazon.com Inc.'s proposed second headquarters to the 430-acre site slate.”

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ion-tower-news

“Latest Amazon HQ2 pitch includes Dallas landmark Reunion Tower.”

Amazon already knows where they want to be.There are probably about 5 places they are seriously considering.The announcement of the HQ2 search created the feeding frenzy they were looking for to see which of those places would throw out the best incentives for something they were obviously doing regardless.

I my opinion,Dallas does not have a huge shot at this.Austin,DC,Toronto and possibly Boston are top contenders for different reasons.I think it will be come down to either Austin or Toronto.Places like NYC and Chicago would not make sense after reading about Amazon’s Seattle gripes...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gee...s-hq2-rfp/amp/

I'm not sure if Austin had the airport transportation or public transit they are looking for....i.e. I think it may be too small of a market for them....I only give it a shot bc of the Whole Foods thing.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:19 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
I'm not sure if Austin had the airport transportation or public transit they are looking for....i.e. I think it may be too small of a market for them....I only give it a shot bc of the Whole Foods thing.
I agree with you; I don't believe Austin is big enough to check off all the infrastructure criteria Amazon outlined.

I think that IF they're interested in Texas, that Dallas (not Frisco, Allen, Alliance, Denton, etc) has the best shot. The Midtown proposal is particularly interesting. But probably not going to TX is my thought.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:24 AM

5,263 posts, read 6,398,312 times
Quote:
That's funny, it takes Amazon's HQ2 solicitation to get the City of Dallas and DART to mention the Cotton Belt Line.
The Cotton Belt project is still moving forward - they are having community design meetings. And the project has never been dead - that's not what the recent DART board shakeup was - it was about priority, as the Cotton Belt was a 2035 project until 2017 when it suddenly became a 2020 project. And Beck has promised a lot at Valley View but delivered very little so far 4 years in. Supposedly much is the city's fault, but who knows?

I'm not sure a completly unfunded and undesigned spur to a commuter rail line that is not anywhere near the Cotton Belt line is going to cut it for Amazon anyways. However something like his little spur is what the 'Cotton Belt' should start with anyways. From Addison transit center to the nearest rail station a few miles away in Carrollton I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas