Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2017, 09:18 AM

515 posts, read 558,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
You're right, I don't know Dallas politics, but I'm not stupid either. I'm expressing an opinion, not claiming inside knowledge.

Even if you just use ballpark measures, three years ago the Economist did a survey that ranked Austin as the #14 most liberal city in the country. Dallas? #35. Ft. Worth and Arlington were even more conservative. https://www.economist.com/blogs/grap.../daily-chart-0 Also, because of its size within the metro, the city of Austin has a disproportionate impact on the political environment. The city of Dallas is about 18% of the DFW population, and the city of Austin is about 45% of the metro population.

This is a discussion of metro areas, not urban centers. As far as I can tell, "urban center" is a rough cognate for "liberal politics," but I could be wrong about that. I haven't heard about hotbeds of conservative activism in inner city areas. Maybe in Oklahoma City?

You may honestly think that Dallas and Austin or their metros are politically equivalent, or that Austin is just a wee wiggle left of Dallas. In my opinion you're not just mistaken, but way off. That's okay. We're just jawing on City-Data after all. As I said, I don't know anything meaningful about Dallas' political environment other than what I read on the internets. However, the perception that led to my comment is real. If you believe Dallas to be a liberal city, that the Dallas Business Alliance is getting ready to adopt "Keep Dallas Weird" as their slogan for small business, ooookay.

On topic, and for what it's worth, that Economist chart also represents the reason that I consider Denver and Boston the most likely locations for the HQ2 development. Boston is #5. Denver is #20. I'm starting to wonder how much time zone diversity they're going to shoot for.

Interesting thought looking at this list, however - what if Amazon decided to land in Detroit (#7) with the objective of completely rejuvenating it? That could be a kind of lasting legacy that Jeff Bezos could get into, although I wonder if Detroit could muster up the financial side of the pitch.
Being from Austin, I would agree that it is more liberal than Dallas. But in more of a far left, self-entitled, over-the-top Bay-area way. Dallas seems more of a progressive, traditional democratic city. You can't compare the reaction of some stupid statue removals when 1 of them is done on a university campus and the other in a city park. Trust me, no one I know in Dallas gives a F about a confederate name or statue, they are more concerned about trying to get high speed rail, downtown subway lines and Trinity River park developments. And of course landing companies like Amazon...

I'll always love Austin, but am blown away by how hipster/poser d-bag it has become. Most of my family and friends have moved out to RR, Kyle or plan on heading to DFW Houston or San Antonio; mostly because of the flaky far-left types. (Saying this as a union-member moderate who has always voted Democrate btw)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 10:06 AM

341 posts, read 1,018,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I have no idea where Amazon's 2nd HQ will be located. However, Bezos owns multiple ranches and other interests in Texas. IIRC he's a top 10 or 15 land owner here. He seems to lack the hatred for TX you had hoped. Anyway, I'm off the the gun range.
I don't think Bezos hates Texas, from what I understand he actually lived in Houston for several years of his childhood so he has some familiarity with the state. But this is a very liberal man, somebody who acquired one of the countries most progressive journalism enterprises (the Washington Post), and supports a liberal agenda to include gay marriage, strict gun controls, recognition of mans activities being a big factor in global warming, pro-choice on the abortion issue.
Now does that sound like to you the kind of person who would feel comfortable living today in Texas, any place in Texas when he has so many other locations to choose from which have viewpoints that are in sync with his ?

Old 10-13-2017, 10:38 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
But with respect to the techy, West Coast-style liberalism I think most are describing here (and you def might disagree) Dallas doesn't have that Seattle/Portland/SF vibe. Austin does. But I personally dont think thats as important to Amazon as some others might. We shall see.

Personally I think the importance of that type of culture to Amazon is overblown. But assuming that type of liberal vibe is important to them, Austin wins.
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but with the caveat that Austin falls when it comes to public transit. It's what really separates it from Seattle/Portland/SF. There are certain areas where Dallas is in fact more progressive than Austin and I think Hornraider did a great job of describing Dallas's "liberalism." It's not quite as cookie cutter in the West Coast sense, which makes it a bit difficult to describe. So yes, Austin does have a more "liberal" vibe than Dallas if we're using SF as a measuring stick for liberalism. But that doesn't mean Austin is remotely on par with them when it comes to public transit.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:40 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
Being from Austin, I would agree that it is more liberal than Dallas. But in more of a far left, self-entitled, over-the-top Bay-area way. Dallas seems more of a progressive, traditional democratic city. You can't compare the reaction of some stupid statue removals when 1 of them is done on a university campus and the other in a city park. Trust me, no one I know in Dallas gives a F about a confederate name or statue, they are more concerned about trying to get high speed rail, downtown subway lines and Trinity River park developments. And of course landing companies like Amazon...

I'll always love Austin, but am blown away by how hipster/poser d-bag it has become. Most of my family and friends have moved out to RR, Kyle or plan on heading to DFW Houston or San Antonio; mostly because of the flaky far-left types. (Saying this as a union-member moderate who has always voted Democrate btw)
I think you've summed it up nicely. Couldn't have said it better myself .

Old 10-13-2017, 11:18 AM

480 posts, read 845,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post

I spent decades in the Bay Area, and wholeheartedly agree. I'll always love the Bay Area, and I'll always reflect on how nice it was in the 80s and 90s (and 70s, but who's counting?). At the same time, I can resent what it has turned into.

It's also interesting to see your final parenthetical comment. That's something I saw all the time in the Bay Area, as people who say things that might be perceived as "critical toward accepted wisdom" need to say something to retain their credibility among the liberal snap-judgments that they know will follow. Essentially, our communications have become overwhelmingly burdened by that type of rhetorical signaling. In a politics thread, it would be like someone saying "this is what I think about Clinton's campaign..." followed by the obligatory face-saving "...and I didn't vote for Trump."

In my opinion, the Amazon campus will give any community the opportunity to design its future. Who knows if they're really going to add 50,000 workers to that campus? Who knows if they're really going to add $5 billion in construction and operating costs to the local economy? But any community that gets Amazon is going to be transformed in certain ways. After the hustle to win the contest, they need to stay focused on what those transformations mean, both in terms of the benefits and the inevitable costs.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:59 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I don't think Bezos hates Texas, from what I understand he actually lived in Houston for several years of his childhood so he has some familiarity with the state. But this is a very liberal man, somebody who acquired one of the countries most progressive journalism enterprises (the Washington Post), and supports a liberal agenda to include gay marriage, strict gun controls, recognition of mans activities being a big factor in global warming, pro-choice on the abortion issue.
Now does that sound like to you the kind of person who would feel comfortable living today in Texas, any place in Texas when he has so many other locations to choose from which have viewpoints that are in sync with his ?

Residents of any area in the U.S., particularly major metro areas, are hardly as monolithic in their viewpoints as you seem to imply.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:22 PM

578 posts, read 478,920 times
Source says Amazon just freezes hire for new college graduate this year.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:36 AM

341 posts, read 1,018,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
Residents of any area in the U.S., particularly major metro areas, are hardly as monolithic in their viewpoints as you seem to imply.
Just check the views and values of the states leading politicians like the US Senators & governor if you
are unclear about where Texas is coming from politically, i.e, its a deep, deep red state.
Bezoes will put his new HDQs in a blue or atleast in a purple state or perhaps in some large Canadian
city like Toronto.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:29 AM

140 posts, read 178,712 times
Bezos help protect his rapist buddy Weinstein. Gotta love those liberal values

Old 10-16-2017, 06:19 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Bezos will put the so called Second HQ, which I believe is a stalking horse for demanding more concessions from both locations, in a red state.

Red States seem to buy into the theory that granting concessions to gain jobs is a net net net positive. I agree that jobs which bring suppliers and other partners with them are a win and a huge win if the concessions cost less than the marginal infrastructure et al cost to add these jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas