Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2017, 03:27 PM

194 posts, read 154,874 times

Advertisements

I'm removing DC as its selection because the area is just too expensive.

That leaves Dallas, Atlanta and Charlotte, not necessarily in that order. I actually think it comes down to the latter two depending on how things are financed.

Last edited by Alewife; 11-15-2017 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 04:58 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,741,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alewife View Post
I'm removing DC as its selection because the area is just too expensive.

That leaves Dallas, Atlanta and Charlotte, not necessarily in that order. I actually think it comes down to the latter two depending on how things are financed.
Don't count out DC. Aside from competition, the path that tech industry regulation takes is likely to be the biggest factor in Amazon's medium to longer term growth profile. Competition is a real factor, but they have first-mover and logistics advantage that should at least give them some buffer. Amazon isn't usually even the cheapest way to buy many things now, but it's for sure the most convenient and reliable. But regulation is unpredictable and can cripple a business. Ask Microsoft. They didn't just forget how to innovate. Anti-trust made it financially unsound to enter markets they'd be regulated out of. The tech giants of today (including MSFT again) will face that same issue. It's not IF, it's WHEN. This is why Amazon wants to put as many jobs in as many districts as it can, and having HQ2 in DC would be the cherry on top. Not saying that's definitely where it will go, but I wouldn't for a second rule it out.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:27 PM

194 posts, read 154,874 times
DC was in my top forecast short list for as long as this was announced--for both the reason you outlined as well as for access to talent, but the place has always been mostly for strong field office presence, and mostly very limited-duration HQs as it happens.

Nobody's going to headquarter in Maryland, and NoVA is just too inconvenient all around, COL, traffic, etc.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:45 PM

3,803 posts, read 2,092,798 times
I was watching my local news and they reported that Dallas was a top contender based on affordability, large student population and it's tech presence. Have any of you seen or heard something similar?

Old 11-17-2017, 07:41 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,086,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I was watching my local news and they reported that Dallas was a top contender based on affordability, large student population and it's tech presence. Have any of you seen or heard something similar?
No but I hope it's not true, particularly on the "affordability" part. If it's "affordable" now relative to Seattle, it'll be far less affordable once the technoyuppies take over (like they have in Seattle).

Old 11-17-2017, 09:43 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,098,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Yes, the Wall Street Journal wrote this week that it has pegged Dallas as having the best odds. WFAA aired that segment earlier this week. But note that it's speculation and not coming from Amazon insiders.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:45 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,098,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No but I hope it's not true, particularly on the "affordability" part. If it's "affordable" now relative to Seattle, it'll be far less affordable once the technoyuppies take over (like they have in Seattle).
I kind of hope we get it and they pick "Midtown" (aka old Valley View) for the HQ campus. Will ensure that development is well executed and actually comes to fruition. Good location for north/south and east/west commuting and would gentrify the surrounding neighborhoods along Alpha up to Spring Valley that have declined since all those apartments were originally built.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I kind of hope we get it and they pick "Midtown" (aka old Valley View) for the HQ campus. Will ensure that development is well executed and actually comes to fruition. Good location for north/south and east/west commuting and would gentrify the surrounding neighborhoods along Alpha up to Spring Valley that have declined since all those apartments were originally built.
I hope they don't for purely selfish reasons. If you think the stretch of 635 between 75 & DNT is bad now, just wait.

Besides...poor people have to live somewhere too. Gentrification has victims. Let Plano or Frisco have this one and keep it far away from me.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:28 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,062,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It amazes me that people still think DFW is this dirt cheap strip on a prairie. Hasn't been "cheap" for a few years now, and it's literally growing noticebly more expensive every year now. You are right that if Amazon moves here, that will REALLY be the final nail in the coffin for DFW being truly affordable.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
It amazes me that people still think DFW is this dirt cheap strip on a prairie. Hasn't been "cheap" for a few years now, and it's literally growing noticebly more expensive every year now. You are right that if Amazon moves here, that will REALLY be the final nail in the coffin for DFW being truly affordable.
Exactly. I'm over 35, so Amazon would likely never hire me anyway...and if they wouldn't hire me, there's zero benefit to me to them being here and a long list of drawbacks. I personally do not put a lot of importance on prestige and I don't want to be inconvenienced for the sake of it.

Amazon moving to Midtown would be a disaster for those of us who live anywhere near it or have to commute past it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas